Has political correctness gone too far (especially during the winter season)? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:02:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Has political correctness gone too far (especially during the winter season)? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has political correctness gone too far (especially during the winter season)?  (Read 4451 times)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« on: January 15, 2014, 02:44:38 AM »
« edited: January 15, 2014, 02:46:09 AM by Senator Goldwater »

IMO, people who complain about political correctness usually strawman their opponents with the "herstory of womyn" type argument, which really doesn't represent anything but a small minority of political correctness advocates.

Really though, what political correctness is really about is respect. Complaining about, say, referring to a trans* person with the pronoun of the gender they identify with instead of the pronoun of their biological sex is disrespectful and impolite. Team names like the Washington Red****s are disrespectful and impolite. Using the term "illegal" instead of undocumented immigrant is disrespectful and impolite. There is, of course, a sliding scale of rudeness (with the first two being more offensive than the 3rd) but all of them are about respecting different people.

How is that disrespectful and impolite? I mean, they immigrated illegally, so that's the most logical thing to call them. I can understand the first two, this one is just seems ridiculous and oversensitive.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 09:28:52 PM »

How is that disrespectful and impolite? I mean, they immigrated illegally, so that's the most logical thing to call them.

You've gone over the speed limit at least once in your life right?  That's illegal.  Why don't we call you an illegal?  Why do we cherrypick this crime and label the people "illegals" and give you a free pass?

If someone is brought to this country at two years old and they only find out for the first time they are not a US citizen at age 16 why would you call that person an "illegal"?

That's a pretty ridiculous comparison. A better comparison would be calling someone who's driving without a diver's license an illegal driver, which would certainly be a fir thing to call them.

As for the 16 year old, I probably wouldn't consider him an illegal immigrant, because he clearly did not decide to immigrate illegality. Although I would consider the issue whether or not this specific person qualifies as an illegal immigrant irrelevant to discussion at hand.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies