Has political correctness gone too far (especially during the winter season)? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:27:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Has political correctness gone too far (especially during the winter season)? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has political correctness gone too far (especially during the winter season)?  (Read 4466 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: January 12, 2014, 05:18:15 PM »

I agree. We should probably call them Congresspeople all together and congressmen/women appropriate to specific people.

Or we could call them "representatives", since that's invariably whom we're referring to when we say that. "Congresspeople" should technically refer to both houses.

Or we could call them "Members of Congress" or "MCs" for short, analogous to Britain's MPs.

That was actually how George H. W. Bush referred to himself when he was in Congress.

Or just save time and call them Cons.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 05:45:21 PM »

Lief, are you seriously going to argue that some lawyer would argue that penmanship doesn't cover a woman's pencraft?  (Of the various alternatives to penmanship, I like pencraft best as it is only two syllables and I have a fondness for the Anglo-Saxon -craft suffix.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:35:43 AM »

The preceding post has been sent to the deluge.  Seldom have I seen such a leap of illogical connection between two topics as what you have just achieved here.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 09:01:32 AM »

Using the term "illegal" instead of undocumented immigrant is disrespectful and impolite.

How is that disrespectful and impolite? I mean, they immigrated illegally, so that's the most logical thing to call them. [This] just seems ridiculous and oversensitive.

The problem lies in judging someone's existence as "illegal".

So would 'criminal' immigrant be more sensitive?  'Undocumented' makes it sound like they merely forgot to file some bureaucratic form which would have automatically approved had they done so.  'Undocumented' is too much of an understatement to be correct in any manner save that of political correctness.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies