Do you support physician-assisted suicide?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:49:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you support physician-assisted suicide?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ?
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 85

Author Topic: Do you support physician-assisted suicide?  (Read 3357 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 07:05:42 PM »

No right is more inherent than to do what they want with their body, including taking their own life.

Here's a RL situation for you: One of the recently elected Liberal MLA's in NS was abandoned by his parents at age 8. The parents took him and his siblings to the mall, told them to wait while they got something from the car. The parents never came back.

Are the parents' actions morally acceptable? If they aren't acceptable, how would it be any different if they blew their brains out instead of taking off?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 07:14:46 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2014, 07:21:12 PM by Scott »

No right is more inherent than to do what they want with their body, including taking their own life.

Here's a RL situation for you: One of the recently elected Liberal MLA's in NS was abandoned by his parents at age 8. The parents took him and his siblings to the mall, told them to wait while they got something from the car. The parents never came back.

Are the parents' actions morally acceptable? If they aren't acceptable, how would it be any different if they blew their brains out instead of taking off?

I'd think that if those parents were suicidal and really wanted to take their own lives, they'd find a way to do it whether a doctor was involved or not.

(For the record, I don't think physician-assisted suicide should be available to anyone for any reason, but it's a preferable alternative to blowing your brains out and having your loved ones find you, or suffering from an incurable disease and dying that way.  Ultimately, people are going to kill themselves if they really want to and you can't really pass a law saying they can't.)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 07:29:38 PM »

Am I really the only Republican who voted yes? I guess I was wrong about gay marriage, abortion, and marijuana being the main things that separate me from the rest of the Republican Party. Tongue
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 07:32:08 PM »

I'd think that if those parents were suicidal and really wanted to take their own lives, they'd find a way to do it whether a doctor was involved or not.

I agree. My point is grappling with the right "to do what they want with their body"
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 08:07:01 PM »

No (R).
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2014, 09:51:29 PM »

Red Herring detected. That's not what we are talking about. We are talking about people with terminal illness who are in serious pain and are beyond recovery.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2014, 10:01:13 PM »

ITT Awful, selfish people who have never had old relatives in extreme pain
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2014, 10:01:35 PM »

Red Herring detected. That's not what we are talking about. We are talking about people with terminal illness who are in serious pain and are beyond recovery.

No, my comment was directed at this:

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2014, 10:21:13 PM »

All I'll say for now is that defining 'selfish' the way certain people in this thread seem to be is an interesting idea.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2014, 11:16:18 PM »

No, but I would be willing to have some form of assisted suicide that does not involve physicians.

Why?

Whose life is it?  The person's or the government's?   I believe the former, therefore as a general rule I see no justification for the state to place impediments on someone seeking assistance on ending their life.  However, physicians are supposed to preserve and enhance life.  For a physician to actively assist someone in ending their life (by which I do not mean the removal of life support equipment or the like) is to me a betrayal of the role of a physician.  Really, the only reason to have physicians involved now is that the methods for committing suicide in a painless and mess-free manner generally involve the use of controlled substances we allow physicians to use in non-lethal quantities for specific medical uses.  But there is no reason we could not allow thanatosians access to those substances.

You bring up a lot of good points and it seems like Hypocrates and his struggle on abortion. I am guessing the thanatosians would operate out of a hospice?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 11:25:17 PM »

Who said anything about morals? Just because someone has the right to do something doesn't make it moral.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 11:30:20 PM »

Who said anything about morals? Just because someone has the right to do something doesn't make it moral.

The Huckabees, Bloombergs and Tipper Gores of the world simply don't understand that it isn't a crime to be a jackass. Indeed, how can there be any nice people if there are no dickheads? 
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 01:16:22 PM »

No (D)
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 01:58:56 PM »

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2014, 02:24:49 PM »

Yes (not evil).

^
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2014, 04:53:57 PM »

Or mothers in their early 50s in extreme, constant pain.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2014, 04:55:59 PM »

I personally oppose it but it depends on the family members and the person in that condition to make that decision
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2014, 04:56:46 PM »

My uncle Robert was an amazing man who lived life to its fullest even in the face of adversity. He was diagnosed with HIV at the age of 18, but remained mostly resistant to it through the rest of his life, continuing to pursue his passion as an artist and designer. He was diagnosed with colon cancer, and owing to its late discovery his survival was never very likely. He died just over three years ago.

None of that was necessary. Though he was kept alive through the support of family and friends, retaining his humorous and laidback personality to the end, he spent the vast majority of his final months in constant pain and discomfort, which hurt both him and us to know what he was going through. My mother, who spent more time with him at the end than anyone else, knows that both he and we would have ultimately been happier had he had the opportunity to allow the inevitable to happen softly rather than waiting through constant torment for death's arrival.

This is a personal issue for me. No person should be forced to spend day and night in constant pain, knowing they are in their death bed but powerless to hasten their release from agony. To not allow the option of a humane end in these circumstances is simply barbaric, and goes to show how little regard "social conservatives" actually have for human life.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, 05:13:20 PM »

This is absolutely correct.  However, the decision to end one's life should not involve a medical professional.  People may and must act to kill themselves through their own devices. 
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2014, 08:23:41 PM »

My uncle Robert was an amazing man who lived life to its fullest even in the face of adversity. He was diagnosed with HIV at the age of 18, but remained mostly resistant to it through the rest of his life, continuing to pursue his passion as an artist and designer. He was diagnosed with colon cancer, and owing to its late discovery his survival was never very likely. He died just over three years ago.

None of that was necessary. Though he was kept alive through the support of family and friends, retaining his humorous and laidback personality to the end, he spent the vast majority of his final months in constant pain and discomfort, which hurt both him and us to know what he was going through. My mother, who spent more time with him at the end than anyone else, knows that both he and we would have ultimately been happier had he had the opportunity to allow the inevitable to happen softly rather than waiting through constant torment for death's arrival.

This is a personal issue for me. No person should be forced to spend day and night in constant pain, knowing they are in their death bed but powerless to hasten their release from agony. To not allow the option of a humane end in these circumstances is simply barbaric, and goes to show how little regard "social conservatives" actually have for human life.

Strong words coming from a communist.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2014, 08:38:33 PM »

Strong words coming from a communist.
Feisty little one, aren't you?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2014, 08:45:51 PM »

This is absolutely correct.  However, the decision to end one's life should not involve a medical professional.  People may and must act to kill themselves through their own devices. 

Yeah, let the poor bastards blow their brains out on the living room walls or hang themselves from ceiling fans, because physicians letting people go clean and with their dignity is just plain wrong.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2014, 08:53:34 PM »

Why not use a physician as one of those devices?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2014, 11:40:00 PM »

Why must physicians be the ones to provide dignified means of death?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2014, 11:43:55 PM »

Why must physicians be the ones to provide dignified means of death?

Why not? In the US, where you pay your doctor anyways, why shouldn't you have the option to pay your doctor to kill you?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies