What's taking so long for Puerto Rico to become a state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:16:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What's taking so long for Puerto Rico to become a state?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: What's taking so long for Puerto Rico to become a state?  (Read 4804 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2014, 01:30:26 AM »

I thought it would have happened years if not decades ago.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 01:42:05 AM »

Well, from all the votes they've taken... They seem to have wanted to remain a territory (or go independent) for a while. Only recently has the statehood option gained in popularity.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 02:12:26 AM »

They were reluctant to become a state and were pretty comfortable as a commonwealth.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 02:47:44 AM »
« Edited: January 13, 2014, 04:07:17 AM by Kevin »

Puerto Rico will never become a state imo(for one the current status seems to be favored by a majority of the island's residents ). It seems only statehood is favored by Puerto Rican's living in the mainland United States.

Also, given the seriousness of Puetro Rico's problems-a debt crisis, endemic political and police corruption, a stagnant economy(it would also have the highest poverty rate of any U.S. state if it became one-far surpassing M.S.) and a haven for drug trafficking amongst many others. Why would such a development be allowed to occur?
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 03:04:22 AM »

The politics comes into it too I imagine. Puerto Rico would probably be strongly Democratic at the presidential level and more than likely elect two Democratic Senators. *could be wrong though
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 04:59:01 AM »

The politics comes into it too I imagine. Puerto Rico would probably be strongly Democratic at the presidential level and more than likely elect two Democratic Senators. *could be wrong though

No you are correct.  Also no one in government really feels this is a hot button issue.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 05:21:53 AM »

If it was going to happen (which isn't likely given that they're apparently happy the way that they are now), it's not going to happen now. Obama would be accused of annexing Puerto Rico for political gain.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 09:58:09 AM »

It wouldn't happen now, the Republican House is never going to approve a state is that not majority white and Republican, it's un-American in their view.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 10:20:04 AM »
« Edited: January 13, 2014, 10:25:56 AM by Redalgo »

The impression I've got is that the three major parties in Puerto Rico define themselves in large part by their stance on this issue - whether to remain a commonwealth, seek independence, of have a go at statehood. The Independence Party has lost a lot of ground while the dominant Popular Democratic Party favours commonwealth status and is the local equivalent to the Dems up here. The second most prominent party, the conservative New Progressive Party, is the one interested in statehood and is most sympathetic of these three toward the GOP.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 11:06:09 AM »

Is there any precedent for a territory that is so demographically and economically different from the rest of the country becoming a state? I wonder how Hawaii of half a century ago compares. The demographic differences existed, but I doubt that it was as poor compared to the rest of the US as Puerto Rico is today.

Hawaii had tremendous geographical and strategic significance to the US in the early 20th century. Look at how vital it was in WW2, without an advanced base in the middle of the pacific, defeating Japan would have been much more difficult from a logistics standpoint.

Puerto Rico is of no geographic or strategic use to the US
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 11:10:52 AM »

It wouldn't happen now, the Republican House is never going to approve a state is that not majority white and Republican, it's un-American in their view.
If there were a potential minority-majority state that would vote solidly Republican, you can bet they would support its statehood.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 11:20:51 AM »

Have you guys ever been to the Caribbean?  Everything takes longer there.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 01:00:31 PM »

They voted to become a state in 2012 and Congress ignored it.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 01:18:07 PM »

Look at who controls Congress though.
Angel of Death
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 02:20:08 PM »

No, they didn't. The fact of the matter is, that the people of Puerto Rico have never shown any majority preference for a change to any particular status. To settle this issue correctly, any multiple-choice referendum would have to allow for a ranking of the different options, after which, ideally, a second binary referendum should be held to confirm the winner (if it's a change). My guess is that, by this procedure, the status quo (or something close to that) would still win out at the moment.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 02:21:52 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2014, 02:29:12 PM by Swedish Cheese »

the major reason is of course that the Puerto Ricans themselves do not want to become independant. a state.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 02:23:01 PM »

the major reason is of course that the Puerto Ricans themselves do not want to become independant.

This isn't rhetorical, but aren't they mostly independent now?  Perhaps even moreso than the states?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 02:23:52 PM »

No, they didn't. The fact of the matter is, that the people of Puerto Rico have never shown any majority preference for a change to any particular status. To settle this issue correctly, any multiple-choice referendum would have to allow for a ranking of the different options, after which, ideally, a second binary referendum should be held to confirm the winner (if it's a change). My guess is that, by this procedure, the status quo (or something close to that) would still win out at the moment.

The fact remains that the result of the vote was in support of statehood, or at least dramatically more supportive of statehood than in the past regardless of whatever technical arguments you have, and Congress' response has been total indifference. That's ridic.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 02:28:25 PM »

the major reason is of course that the Puerto Ricans themselves do not want to become independant.

This isn't rhetorical, but aren't they mostly independent now?  Perhaps even moreso than the states?

Bah, I meant to say they don't want to become a state. >.< (My bad)
Not that they want to become independent either.
They like having US citizenship but not have to pay federal taxes.
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.00

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 02:57:01 PM »

Puerto Rico will never become a state imo(for one the current status seems to be favored by a majority of the island's residents ).

Actually according to the most recent referendum, the current status only received a very slim plurality of the vote.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 03:20:38 PM »

Bah, I meant to say they don't want to become a state. >.< (My bad)
Not that they want to become independent either.
They like having US citizenship but not have to pay federal taxes.

I wasn't trying to play gotcha.....I was just trying to figure it out.....I normally get you the first time around.  Smiley
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 03:42:27 PM »

The current situation doesn't benefit the United States or Puerto Rico. The best solution, IMO, is an up or down vote on immediate statehood or independence.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 05:20:52 PM »

The main issue is that there are three choices and Puerto Ricans haven't indicated a strong majority for any of the three choices (as often happens in three-way elections). I don't think it's really gotten to the point where Republicans can be accused of having interfered.

I think the US and Puerto Rico should agree to a referendum in say, 2020, which would provide for Puerto Rico either becoming an independent country or joining the union in 2025.

Here's an article on 2012 non-binding referendum.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/11/07/politics/election-puerto-rico/index.html?iref=allsearch
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 05:59:59 PM »

The fact remains that the result of the vote was in support of statehood, or at least dramatically more supportive of statehood than in the past regardless of whatever technical arguments you have, and Congress' response has been total indifference. That's ridic.

As I have pointed out before, the 2012 referendum is a flawed basis for judging support for statehood.  It asked two separate questions: "Should the status of Puerto Rico change?" and "If the status changes, what should it change to?"  Granted, a majority indicated they wanted a change, and a majority indicated that if there was to be a change, statehood would be preferred, but the referendum is still junk because of what it didn't ask.  Purposely omitted was the question: "Do you prefer statehood or the status quo?"  Based on the results of previous referenda, there is every reason to believe that if that direct question had been asked, a majority would have chosen the status quo.  It was precisely to avoid that outcome that led the statehood advocates behind the 2012 referendum to not ask the direct question, but to instead ask the convoluted two questions they did, questions that would get people who do not support statehood over the status quo to vote yes for one of the two parts, but not for both of them.

At best, the 2012 referendum should have caused Congress to order Puerto Rico to include in its 2014 ballot the direct question and if it was answered in the affirmative, direct Puerto Rico to hold a constitutional convention to draw up a proposed constitution for the State.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 08:06:46 PM »

This.  Just like in the old days, the likely only way a new state will be admitted is if another one of the opposite political inclination would be admitted with it.  And there's the problem; there's really nowhere out there that would be a safe bet for the GOP.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies