How should the GOP try to win over more Hispanics and Aisans? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:04:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How should the GOP try to win over more Hispanics and Aisans? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How should the GOP try to win over more Hispanics and Aisans?  (Read 5420 times)
Mordecai
Australia

« on: January 16, 2014, 01:42:01 PM »

Hispanics: Immigration reform (obviously). Also, stop pandering to the racists. Simple as that.

Asians: Stop the anti-intellectualism and religious fundamentalism. Asians can be very conservative and devoutly religious, but they also value higher education and knowledge so you'll scare them aware if you scream about how evolution is lies from the pit of hell and how education is elitist.

I'd say that a lot of it is mainly rhetoric and attitude. Democrats don't particularly target Hispanics and Asians, but they get their vote anyway because the rhetoric from Republican politicians scare them away. It's the same with African Americans, gays, and atheists. All of these minority groups have their conservative wings and would be willing to vote Republican if they didn't feel that the party was against them.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 04:32:11 PM »

Asians: Stop the anti-intellectualism and religious fundamentalism. Asians can be very conservative and devoutly religious, but they also value higher education and knowledge so you'll scare them aware if you scream about how evolution is lies from the pit of hell and how education is elitist.

Asians highly value education. Cutting education and expanding school voucher is a big red flag.

Oh, and being the anti-intellectual, anti-science party doesn't help.

Yes, like Bobby Jindal said, "We've got to stop being the stupid party."
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 11:35:56 AM »

I just don't get it a few stupid Republicans say something off the wall and people believe  that's what the Republican Party stands for. Its not like these members speak for the whole party. That's what the mainstream media does they say this is the Republican Party(the member who just said something stupid) and people believe it. Its kind of laughable. I do it admit the AZ immigration has to be one of the stupidest thing a Republican has ever done to offend a group of people(Mexicans/Hispanics.)

Well people assume Republicans endorse those remarks because no Republican politicians stand up to denounce them. This is not the fault of the mainstream media, either. They are just reporting what the Republicans say.

The problem is so bad that even registered Hispanic Republicans working to improve the party's relations with the Hispanic population can't put up with it anymore.

Pablo Pantoja, director of the Florida Republican Party's Hispanic Outreach program, resigned from the party last year and registered as a Democrat because Republicans would not rebuke the racism. Read his letter and the interview he did with Salon.

http://thefloridanation.com/?p=555

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/14/why_i_quit_the_republican_party/

You can laugh and blame the media all you want but it doesn't change the fact that there are racist elements of the GOP and they are driving away people who want to be in the party and help build it, but feel like they're treated as second-class citizens.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 01:48:58 PM »

I get they are reporting what Republican Politicians say.  I get that. Why should somebody else in the party apologize for a remark that somebody else said though? That politician that said the stupid remark should apologize. These are grown people after all not a parent that apologizes for what their kid did.

Not apologize, but make it clear that their remarks do not represent the Republican Party as a whole and try to rein in the craziness.

The former Republican Chair of Hispanic Outreach he must really be a Democrat. Why else join a party that may you only agree with 20% of the time? I get the average Hispanic wants to join the Democrats because he or she thinks the Dems are friendlier to  the Hispanic Community but a Chair for Republican Outreach quits the party? The guy must have discovered he was really a Democrat. Look at Charlie Christ, Artur Davis, or even Marty Martinez they all switched parties after discovering what party they really belong to.

That doesn't make any sense. Did you even read the letter and interview? Probably not.

He says he likes Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush and John McCain. He says that business and entrepreneurial issues originally drew him to the GOP and that that racism drove him away. He says he likes the Democratic Party because of their inclusivity and standing up for minorities.

You keep saying that you understand but I don't think you do. Just read his own words and see why he left the Republicans. His views didn't change, he didn't suddenly realize he was in the wrong party, he's a moderate conservative who became fed up with party establishment not backing him up in reaching out to minorities and their tacit approval of the racism.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 01:12:54 PM »

I get they are reporting what Republican Politicians say.  I get that. Why should somebody else in the party apologize for a remark that somebody else said though? That politician that said the stupid remark should apologize. These are grown people after all not a parent that apologizes for what their kid did.

Not apologize, but make it clear that their remarks do not represent the Republican Party as a whole and try to rein in the craziness.

The former Republican Chair of Hispanic Outreach he must really be a Democrat. Why else join a party that may you only agree with 20% of the time? I get the average Hispanic wants to join the Democrats because he or she thinks the Dems are friendlier to  the Hispanic Community but a Chair for Republican Outreach quits the party? The guy must have discovered he was really a Democrat. Look at Charlie Christ, Artur Davis, or even Marty Martinez they all switched parties after discovering what party they really belong to.

That doesn't make any sense. Did you even read the letter and interview? Probably not.

He says he likes Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush and John McCain. He says that business and entrepreneurial issues originally drew him to the GOP and that that racism drove him away. He says he likes the Democratic Party because of their inclusivity and standing up for minorities.

You keep saying that you understand but I don't think you do. Just read his own words and see why he left the Republicans. His views didn't change, he didn't suddenly realize he was in the wrong party, he's a moderate conservative who became fed up with party establishment not backing him up in reaching out to minorities and their tacit approval of the racism.
I just don't believe the Republican Party should make clear some person made a dumb remark and say its not reflective of the party. I stand by my opinion that these are grown people. The RNC or the RCCC should just withhold money from their campaigns and the party can make make their point that way. I don't think the RNC or RCCC should give any money to Steve King this cycle because of his outrageous comment about Hispanics a few months ago. I'm surprised he even shows his face on TV because he is  an embarrassment.

I agree.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies