How should the GOP try to win over more Hispanics and Aisans? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:35:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How should the GOP try to win over more Hispanics and Aisans? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How should the GOP try to win over more Hispanics and Aisans?  (Read 5434 times)
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« on: January 13, 2014, 05:36:12 PM »

A huge problem for the GOP right now, as everybody already knows.

According to http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/index.html
every one of these states have at least 8% Hispanic population. seven out of the eleven northeastern states are in this group. Only three states in the Midwest, Illinois, Nebraska, and Kansas. Eight southern states are not in this group, but six are. Only two western states don't,  Montana and Alaska. Also, I didn't include DC, but it also has over 8% Hispanic population.

Now here are the states that have at least 6% Hispanic population, according to the source above.

What this means is that Republicans need to step up their game on Hispanic voters, but you all knew that already.

Now here is a map of states that have over 5% Asian populations, from the same source as above.

So, for Hispanics I say stop bashing amnesty, and for Asians, well, target them more.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 04:16:47 PM »

From another thread.

It's gonna take more than a couple of editorials to win over Hispanics. Numerous surveys have shown that they are staunch liberals when it comes to economics and the role of government and that many couldn't care less about social issues. Just arguing that poverty is bad and that we shouldn't close our eyes to it along with a couple of photos ops in a soup kitchen will simply not suffice.
Agreed, which is why we should carefully watch Rubio's next two years, and see what he does.

This brings us back to a key point though: Can a contemporary Republican appear compassionate on poverty and still win the party's nomination? The problem is that Hispanics and the voters that constitute today's Republican base are virtually diametrically opposed when it comes to economic matters. I don't doubt that some rhetoric about working hard and keeping your money can get you some additional Hispanic votes but at the end of the day Hispanics don't care much for Reaganomics.
But remember, Republicans aren't expecting to get over 50% of the Hispanic vote.
They are just aiming for something like 35 to 40%, (like W. Bush)
Anyway, it is going to be interesting if Rubio starts to distance himself from the Tea Party, he arguably already is with his new anti poverty outlook.
But yes, that will arguably (in my opinion) be the toughest thing for Republicans to receive Hispanic votes.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 04:20:16 PM »

Yes, I just looked into Paul Ryan's anti poverty rhetoric lately, unfortunately, he is sternly conservative on immigration.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 04:28:53 PM »

But remember, Republicans aren't expecting to get over 50% of the Hispanic vote.
They are just aiming for something like 35 to 40%, (like W. Bush)
Anyway, it is going to be interesting if Rubio starts to distance himself from the Tea Party, he arguably already is with his new anti poverty outlook.
But yes, that will arguably (in my opinion) be the toughest thing for Republicans to receive Hispanic votes.

True and I believe that in the long run, the GOP could actually profit from immigration reform. Among third generation Hispanics, you get to that magic 40% when they're being asked the classic question on the role of government in economics (more government investment or lower taxes and spending cuts). I just think that as I said above, right now with the rabid anti-statist GOP base in place, it'll be very hard to make inroads into the Hispanic electorate without simultaneously wrecking your own support within the party.
Very well said, but I do think most Republican possible 2016 candidates have ruined themselves already on immigration, Christie didn't, but now he has those scandals so he is out (I think).
Rubio actually has the best position for a general election I think, and with help from the establishment, can win the GOP primary.
Anyway, does anyone think it is possible Cruz would do Romney Latino numbers? I think so.
Anyway, yeah, Republicans should also focus on African Americans, but even Bush only won 11% in 2004. I think something like that is a better target than 20%.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 04:40:48 PM »

Agreed on Clinton, there also have been reports that Bill is still thinking about wherever Hillary should run, because he is worried about his legacy.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 04:48:26 PM »

Agreed on Clinton, there also have been reports that Bill is still thinking about wherever Hillary should run, because he is worried about his legacy.

Hillary will underperform among youth, hispanics, African Americans, probably asians, and hold the line on white voters. Any effort to make the south competitive will involve cannibalizing their numbers among African Americans. You'll see better GOP performance in general among more diverse demographics, but you'll also see white share of the vote increase.
Yes, but I am worried that she will choose Mark Warner as her VP candidate, which would help in greatly in Virginia.
Also, imagine Rubio gaining 90% of the Cuban vote in 2016....
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 04:54:48 PM »

And Republicans could douche better with the youth vote, as seen in the 2000 election.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 05:01:33 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2014, 05:03:50 PM by Thomas Jefferson »

And she may go too far to the left on issues in the primary, like repealing the partial birth abortion ban act, which 70% of Americans support the ban act (even Joseph Biden supports it).
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 05:13:32 PM »

Agreed. Would it also be right to say that most of the Hispanics that voted Romney because of social issues is what I am wondering.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 12:56:03 PM »

Very good points, Brewer.
Anyway, apparently the Koch Brothers are at it:
http://news.yahoo.com/koch-affiliated-group-ramps-up-hispanic-outreach-push-204733568.html
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies