When will a county in Massachusetts vote for the Republican candidate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:32:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  When will a county in Massachusetts vote for the Republican candidate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When will a county in Massachusetts vote for the Republican candidate?  (Read 1855 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2014, 02:55:42 PM »

And which county will finally break for the GOP?

Republican presidential candidates haven't won a single county in Massachusetts since 1988.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 03:02:20 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2014, 03:11:02 PM by Skill and Chance »

Plymouth will likely vote for the next Republican who wins nationally, unless they are a huge SoCon.  In a reverse 2008 environment, Plymouth, Worcester and Barnstable would all flip.  There is a growing rural/urban divide in MA even though the state as a whole isn't shifting.  Also, I'm not sure if Clinton would play better/worse than Obama in those places.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 04:05:27 PM »

I have noticed there are four counties trending GOP, while the others are staying strong D.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 01:18:25 AM »

Plymouth will likely vote for the next Republican who wins nationally, unless they are a huge SoCon.  In a reverse 2008 environment, Plymouth, Worcester and Barnstable would all flip.  There is a growing rural/urban divide in MA even though the state as a whole isn't shifting.  Also, I'm not sure if Clinton would play better/worse than Obama in those places.

I would change that to parts or the eastern half of the state.  That certainly isn't the case in the Berkshires.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 01:35:57 AM »

Plymouth is already pretty close.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 07:38:50 AM »

I would change that to parts or the eastern half of the state.  That certainly isn't the case in the Berkshires.
Or anywhere west of the Worcester Area/ North of Springfield, really
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 07:43:31 AM »

Plymouth County will go republican when they win overall nationwide. Of course 2004 was an exception because of Kerry, but it has trended to the right since then.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 10:45:58 AM »

Which means only 8/9ths of the population of MA is in the area with a growing rural/urban divide!
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 11:16:17 AM »

Probably never unless the Republicans become the liberal party and the Democrats become the conservative party in a future political re-alignment.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 11:55:37 AM »

Which means only 8/9ths of the population of MA is in the area with a growing rural/urban divide!
It's still important to note- otherwise people could get the impression that Pittsfield will vote for Ted Cruz, or something.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 09:50:32 PM »

Probably never unless the Republicans become the liberal party and the Democrats become the conservative party in a future political re-alignment.

Not true. One of Plymouth/Worcester/Essex (most likely Plymouth) will certainly vote Republican in a winning year for Republicans.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 01:41:51 AM »

Not true. One of Plymouth/Worcester/Essex (most likely Plymouth) will certainly vote Republican in a winning year for Republicans.

I'd think Barnstable to be more likely than Essex.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 04:26:13 AM »

Plymouth. Then - Worcester. Then, probably, Barnstable, which is somewhat more socially conservative then fiscally conservative  (but, generally, socially moderate or even liberal) Essex. Then - ... probably nothing..
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 01:23:23 PM »

Plymouth. Then - Worcester. Then, probably, Barnstable, which is somewhat more socially conservative then fiscally conservative  (but, generally, socially moderate or even liberal) Essex. Then - ... probably nothing..
Is Barnstable really that socon? It has Provincetown and stuff...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 02:27:08 PM »

Plymouth. Then - Worcester. Then, probably, Barnstable, which is somewhat more socially conservative then fiscally conservative  (but, generally, socially moderate or even liberal) Essex. Then - ... probably nothing..

Not so much by national standards. But at least somewhat - by Massachusetts's. And yes, it includes Provincetown (4th district, represented by Democrat Sarah Peake) and so on. But it includes relatively conservative areas (look at 5th Barnstable, represented by Randy Hunt, for example) too. Essex, while being somewhat fiscally conservative, leans (mostly) very moderate socially. May be - because of number of "upscale" areas.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 03:28:41 PM »

Plymouth. Then - Worcester. Then, probably, Barnstable, which is somewhat more socially conservative then fiscally conservative  (but, generally, socially moderate or even liberal) Essex. Then - ... probably nothing..

Not so much by national standards. But at least somewhat - by Massachusetts's. And yes, it includes Provincetown (4th district, represented by Democrat Sarah Peake) and so on. But it includes relatively conservative areas (look at 5th Barnstable, represented by Randy Hunt, for example) too. Essex, while being somewhat fiscally conservative, leans (mostly) very moderate socially. May be - because of number of "upscale" areas.

Essex is complicated because you have largely libertarian Boston exurbs paired with the populist fishermen.  In terms of number of votes, the exurbs win, but it can produce strange results.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 03:40:35 PM »

Plymouth is entirely winnable in a good Republican year.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 03:48:38 PM »

Is not Barnstable home to many upscale, preppy areas, especially on the Cape? I'm not very familiar with the area, but Barnstable would not strike me as a socon area.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 10:01:16 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2014, 11:20:32 AM by smoltchanov »

Is not Barnstable home to many upscale, preppy areas, especially on the Cape? I'm not very familiar with the area, but Barnstable would not strike me as a socon area.

As i said - different parts of Barnstable are very different. Sure, it's less conservative then Plymouth and Worcester counties,  but still - there are some conservative towns there... So, it's at least candidate for 3rd place... Cape is more liberal, of course...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies