Opinion of hunting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 10:54:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of hunting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Opinion of hunting  (Read 745 times)
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 10:21:21 PM »

I don't agree with the premise behind hunting for sport. Hunting for food is perfectly fine, but I still wouldn't do it.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 06:49:11 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2014, 08:35:08 AM by Grad Students are the Worst »

I don't understand how people enjoy this, but then again I am a soulless vegan, and I think it's immoral.
I find it immoral to systematically remove all natural predators of an animal and then further destroy the ecosystem by letting the prey populate out of control.

We're the main predators of various animals now to keep their populations managed lest they ruin the forests.

This is an extremely over-broad claim that is not supported by current literature, which is unfortunately pretty sparse.  In fact, game management techniques often encourage the overpopulation of certain animals -- especially deer and elk.  Also, a lot of hunting involves animals (especially birds) that are not subject to population management strategies.  Moreover, a more surgical approach to this would be more humane than hunting and also more surgical and efficient at dealing with the population problems.

It's possible to defend, in narrow circumstances, the practice of selective hunting for population control.  That's very different than large-scale hunting as it's practiced.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 10:36:19 AM »

In fact, game management techniques often encourage the overpopulation of certain animals -- especially deer and elk.  

This is very true. There are far too many deer in parts of Britain now, and the impact on the environment is distinctly negative.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies