Libertarians, 2008? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:32:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Libertarians, 2008? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Libertarians, 2008?  (Read 16954 times)
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« on: May 03, 2005, 03:01:08 PM »

Both would support Ron Paul, but you would need a VP Candidate as well. And it would be hard to find someone that would be as acceptable to both parties. The CP would find Badnarik unacceptable and the LP would find Peroutka unacceptable. I do remember reading that Aaron Russo, who was seeking the LP nomination last year, ran for office for the CP a few years ago. I don't know much about him on the issues though.

Economically both are similar, but the LP support Free Trade and Open Borders while the CP supports a protective tariff and closed borders. Both oppose NAFTA, GATT, FTAA, etc. I think both oppose the UN as well.

CP is completely against abortion, while the LP varies a lot. Dr. Ron Paul, who has delivered plenty of babies during his medical career, is Pro-Life. I think Badnarik felt abortion should be legal, but that Roe v. Wade was wrong and each state should be able to decide for itself. LP opposes tax payer funded abortions.

CP says keep drugs illegal. LP varies, but has been consistant in saying the war on drugs has caused more problems than it has solved.

CP says Marriage = 1 man and 1 woman but is against a Federal Marriage Amendment. LP says anyone should be able to marry. Ron Paul says no to FMA and that the protection of Marriage Act is good enough to protect states from accepting gay marriage. Peroutka's campaign manager referred to Badnarik as a supporter of Sodomy.

Just a few I could think of off the top of my head. I think it's unlikely though not impossible that both could joint nominate someone.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 09:07:24 PM »

Each Party could nominate it's own VP Candidate, but it would be like having two different Presidential Nominees. If they had the same Pres. and Vice-Pres. Nom's, then they could share the electors and only be on the ticket once. If they had seperate VP's, then they would be a seperate ticket, with seperate electors. Let's say Ron Paul had the most votes in a state, but his vote total was split between the two parties. He would act as his own spoiler.

George Bush / Dick Cheney 100,000
John Kerry / John Edwards 90,000
Ron Paul / Michael Badnarik 85,000
Ron Paul / Michael Peroutka 75,000

Even though he had the most votes, they would be counted seperately and the Dem or Rep would win.

McClintok = Republican From California who was the top Republican finisher behind Arnold for Gov. in California?

Here is an idea. Maybe Ron Paul would be able to find someone himself that would be able to get the support of both parties. (I'm sure he knows better than any of us. Smiley )
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies