The next new glass ceilings to be broken?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:14:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The next new glass ceilings to be broken?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these fairly unlikely (at present anyways) glass ceilings do you think will break first? (more than 1 vote allowed)
First Asian President

First LGBTIQ President

First Non-Christian/Non-Religious/Atheist President

First Single/Bachelor/Unmarried/Divorced President

First Independent (non-Democratic, non-Republican) President

Any other breach of glass ceiling (please specify in thread)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: The next new glass ceilings to be broken?  (Read 2699 times)
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2014, 10:35:34 PM »

I think we can all agree that two glass ceilings are likely to be broken within the next generation or so, the latest (probably). Those being having the first female president as well as the first latino president. I think both of these scenarios will come through before 2040. But what about other scenarios, other glass ceilings to be broken? Which ones are more likely, which ones could you see happening in the near/not too distant future? I can think of five right now, but I'm sure there must be plenty more than those. The glass ceilings yet to be broken include:

*First Asian president (Bobby Jindal & Nicky Haley have already been mentioned as potential 2016 candidates, yet none of them have any support whatsoever according to polls)
*First LGBTIQ president (Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transsexual Intersex Queer) (no strong contenders at the moment I think)
*First Non-Christian/Non-Religious/Atheist president (like someone practicing buddhism, hinduism, islam, judaism, bahá'í, sikhism, shinto, confucianism [the last two might not be considered religions perhaps, more like spiritualisms], agnostism etcetera) (can't really think of any potential candidate at the moment, perhaps Joe Lieberman, though he's probably too old by now)
*First single/bachelor/unmarried/divorced (without a current spouse) president (one such candidate could definitely be Cory Booker, that is if he remains single/bachelor)
*First independent president who's neither [running as] a Republican nor a Democrat (one could think of several such candidates, Michael Bloomberg standing out more than others - this has not yet happened in the modern era, which I guess you could say could start after the Civil War, for the sake of argument)

Any other suggestions for first as in glass ceilings yet to be broken?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 10:43:11 PM »

I think we can all agree that two glass ceilings are likely to be broken within the next generation or so, the latest (probably). Those being having the first female president as well as the first latino president. I think both of these scenarios will come through before 2040. But what about other scenarios, other glass ceilings to be broken? Which ones are more likely, which ones could you see happening in the near/not too distant future? I can think of five right now, but I'm sure there must be plenty more than those. The glass ceilings yet to be broken include:

*First Asian president (Bobby Jindal & Nicky Haley have already been mentioned as potential 2016 candidates, yet none of them have any support whatsoever according to polls)
*First LGBTIQ president (Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transsexual Intersex Queer) (no strong contenders at the moment I think)
*First Non-Christian/Non-Religious/Atheist president (like someone practicing buddhism, hinduism, islam, judaism, bahá'í, sikhism, shinto, confucianism [the last two might not be considered religions perhaps, more like spiritualisms], agnostism etcetera) (can't really think of any potential candidate at the moment, perhaps Joe Lieberman, though he's probably too old by now)
*First single/bachelor/unmarried/divorced (without a current spouse) president (one such candidate could definitely be Cory Booker, that is if he remains single/bachelor)
*First independent president who's neither [running as] a Republican nor a Democrat (one could think of several such candidates, Michael Bloomberg standing out more than others - this has not yet happened in the modern era, which I guess you could say could start after the Civil War, for the sake of argument)

Any other suggestions for first as in glass ceilings yet to be broken?

James Buchanan was a lifelong bachelor.

As for the religion one, do you mean a non-believer or an open non-Christian? If it's the former,  it's probably already been passed. There have been a decent number of Chreaster presidents who say they're Christian for the sake of the campaign trail. If we're talking open non Christians, it will probably be a while. Canada is much more socially liberal, but even most left wing leaders at least say they're _____ even if they never attend.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 10:56:11 PM »

James Buchanan was a lifelong bachelor.

As for the religion one, do you mean a non-believer or an open non-Christian? If it's the former,  it's probably already been passed. There have been a decent number of Chreaster presidents who say they're Christian for the sake of the campaign trail. If we're talking open non Christians, it will probably be a while. Canada is much more socially liberal, but even most left wing leaders at least say they're _____ even if they never attend.

Fair enough. Let's keep it to the post-Civil War era though. Tongue In a televised age, I guess it's harder for a bachelor to win the presidency than in the era of smoked filled room decisions.

With the religion one, I mean either a non-believer or a non-Christian, I think both scenarios would be quite shocking in the US, the most religious and religiously fundamentalist of any Western/industrialized country. Wink I'm not talking about what one's true believes are though, it's always a question of being open to the public. If you're lying about an aspect of your private life, you're letting the voters be deceived. [It's also a sin according to God lol, since we're talking about [non-]religion. Tongue] So the question is if there will be a president who'll be totally honest to the greater public about his non-believes or non-Christian believes, whether he will actively campaign on those believes or not [probably not Tongue].
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 12:41:45 AM »

Atheism and American politics do not mix. Athiests, and those who do not follow a religion, almost always lose elections, and it's really unfortunate, but this is more of a generational thing (oldies are more religious, youngs are more secular), so the support of non-religious candidates will continue to rise.

I think the first Asian/LGBT president is the most likely out of this bunch.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 12:30:54 PM »

Even though Richard Nixon and Bill Clintonprofessed to being Christians, they both seemed to be somewhat ambivalent regarding their faith, so the galss ceiling of having an agnostic President might have been broken already.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 01:22:25 PM »

First Asian President: This seems the most likely to happen before the other three, in my opinion. The problem is that, at the moment, there aren't that many compelling Asian candidates from either party.

First LGBTIQ President: Not going to happen for a very long time, at least half a century.

First Non-Christian/Non-Religious/Atheist: An openly non-religious or atheist President is also not going to happen for a very long time. But I think that the most likely non-Christian President would be Jewish, because (after Christianity) it's the most mainstream and least objectionable than any other religion in America.

First Independent President: Never going to happen unless the Electoral College is abolished, which is basically never.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 01:04:38 AM »

Even though Richard Nixon and Bill Clintonprofessed to being Christians, they both seemed to be somewhat ambivalent regarding their faith, so the galss ceiling of having an agnostic President might have been broken already.

Quakers tend to be less dogmatic and rigid in their views of God. They focus more on personal spiritual growth and finding personal balance and one's "Inner Light." In a way, it's almost like a theistic version of Buddhism with Protestant trappings.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 07:27:51 AM »

Honestly, most of these are plausible much sooner than people think.  You could easily see one of these happen in the next ~15 years or so:

-Asian president: Are we counting south Asians here?  So Jindal and Haley would count?  Even if they're not elected president themselves, either of them could easily be elected VP and then be one heartbeat away.  And other potential contenders will surely emerge in the next 15-20 years.

-Non-Christian president: A Jewish president is definitely not out of the question in the near future.  Lieberman was almost VP, then ran for president himself.  Ed Rendell and (pre-scandal) Eliot Spitzer were touted as potential future presidential candidates at one point.  Eric Cantor was considered a longshot possibility to be considered McCain's running mate in 2008, and Norm Coleman might have been considered a future VP choice as well if he'd won reelection.

-Single/bachelor/divorced president: If Clinton doesn't run in 2016, Cuomo has a decent shot at the nomination.  If she runs and loses to the GOP nominee, then Cuomo has a shot in 2020.  Same with Hickenlooper, for that matter.  And then of course, there's Cory Booker.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 10:54:42 AM »

Non-Christian is probably likeliest.

Mainly because there are quite a few prominent Jewish politicians.

Plausible Presidents would include Rahm Emanuel, and Eric Cantor. Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti is 42, so he could easily get elected to statewide office, a plausible launching pad for the White House. Joe Straus is the Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives.

Considering eight Jewish-Americans were elected to the House in the last three cycles, and five were elected to the Senate since 2006, it seems likely that there will be more prominent Jewish politicians in the future.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 11:34:37 AM »

Plausible Presidents would include Rahm Emanuel, and Eric Cantor.

Let's hope not.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »

Eric, there's one problem with the divorcee POTUS, that one was Reagan, but he then met Nancy years before his Presidency.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 10:19:54 PM »

Eric, there's one problem with the divorcee POTUS, that one was Reagan, but he then met Nancy years before his Presidency.

Well, I meant to say divorced, but not remarried or even currently living with someone. Sorry for not clarifying this before. Tongue
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 10:32:57 PM »

We might get out first female president pro tem fairly soon.  Mikulski will be the second most senior Democrat after Levin in the next Congress and Levin decides to not run in 2016 but Mikulski does, she'd be PPT if the Dems have control of the Senate.  Of the major US offices, Chief Justice is likely to end the last held by a woman simply because Roberts is likely to stay on the court at least two more decades and quite possibly longer than that.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 11:07:01 PM »

Well, I meant to say divorced, but not remarried or even currently living with someone. Sorry for not clarifying this before. Tongue

Oh okay, thanks. Smiley
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 02:32:57 PM »

Within the next ten to fifteen years we will be expecting our first female President.  After that, our first minority female President. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies