Former KY Ag chief and Lt Gov nominee Richie Farmer (R) going to prison
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:11:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Former KY Ag chief and Lt Gov nominee Richie Farmer (R) going to prison
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Former KY Ag chief and Lt Gov nominee Richie Farmer (R) going to prison  (Read 645 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2014, 01:11:29 AM »

He parlayed his Kentucky basketball career into two terms as Agriculture Commissioner and was on the losing ticket with David Williams in 2011.  I think he was the top vote getter or at least the top Republican vote getter both times he won the Agriculture job (if or how he was qualified, I know not).

He was convicted of pretty much every abuse of office.  Took state property from his office when he left.  Created fake jobs for friends--who did things like build a basketball court at his house.  Billed the state for hotel rooms for his extended family during State Fairs.

But since this is Kentucky, the judge said this at his sentencing:

The judge took note of Farmer's basketball triumphs and said: "Nothing I'm saying today should take away from those accomplishments."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2014/01/14/3033479/farmer-sentenced-to-more-than.html#storylink=cpy
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 01:18:12 AM »

Wow, wasn't he supposed to be a rising star? IIRC, lots of Rs were more enthusiastic about him than Williams. Yikes.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 08:42:56 AM »

Farmer reminds me of former Texas State Attorney General Dan Morales (D), who was a rising star of the Democratic Party and saw his political career go downhill
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:22:58 PM »

Kind of off topic, but does anyone know why basketball is such a big deal in Kentucky? Everywhere else in the country, it has basically become an urban, minority sport; professional basketball has a negligible white fanbase, and college basketball's is generally confined to a handful of standout schools. So how did Kentucky, an extremely white, rural state with few college graduates, become such basketball enthusiasts? (I thought maybe it was invented there, but checked Wikipedia and it was not.)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 10:05:53 PM »

Kind of off topic, but does anyone know why basketball is such a big deal in Kentucky? Everywhere else in the country, it has basically become an urban, minority sport; professional basketball has a negligible white fanbase, and college basketball's is generally confined to a handful of standout schools. So how did Kentucky, an extremely white, rural state with few college graduates, become such basketball enthusiasts? (I thought maybe it was invented there, but checked Wikipedia and it was not.)

A long and storied program at UK and to a lesser extent ULouisville (even with the college grad numbers, chances are you know at least somebody who went there) and a lack of competition from any other sports teams - Kentucky basketball is basically the only thing on TV, since there's no pro teams anywhere in the state. Derby only happens once a year - having a consistently good team that's the only thing on results in a lot of popularity, and UK draws some of the best players in the country.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 10:34:34 PM »

Indiana, Iowa, Kansas are all just about as hardcore about basketball.  In some places what else are you going to do? (well, I guess meth/oxycotin).
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 11:32:27 PM »

Basketball is a pretty big deal here in Cleveland's suburbs -- I got home a few hours ago from being a student announcer at a high school JV girl's basketball game, and turnout for basketball (of either gender) is a pretty solid third behind football and soccer; and in terms of professional basketball, I'd have to say it's the second-most popularly followed sport after professional football. (Baseball, oddly, has very few adherents; student sections at baseball games are underpopulated and very few people follow professional baseball.)

Obviously, that's all anecdote, but I think it's a legitimate point to be made.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 08:46:12 AM »

Indiana, Iowa, Kansas are all just about as hardcore about basketball.  In some places what else are you going to do? (well, I guess meth/oxycontin).

In some high schools it is easier to put together a high-school basketball team than a high-school football team. Obviously we are talking about very small communities in deep-rural areas.

....Team sports have usually been seen as one of the few youth outlets in some places, and if one is really good there might be a college scholarship that offers an exit from poverty.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 09:02:16 AM »

Can't get over the fact that his last name is Farmer and he was the Agricultural Commissioner.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 08:57:22 PM »

Why being a local sports hero trumps everything else in politics, I'll never know. It's like most voters never left high school.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 10:15:35 AM »

Why being a local sports hero trumps everything else in politics, I'll never know. It's like most voters never left high school.

To the contrary -- they DID leave high school.

They dropped out!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies