2014 Retirements General Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:00:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2014 Retirements General Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2014 Retirements General Thread  (Read 2556 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« on: January 16, 2014, 02:55:41 AM »

Well, may be i don't understand something, but for me there is absolutely no difference whether district elects male or female; "straight" or "gay/lesbian"; Protestant, Catholic, Mormon, Muslin, Jew or Buddhist; White, Black, Hispanics, Asian or Native American. And so on. The only criteria i use is "congressman must reflect views of his/her district as close as possible". That's why a "natural" congressman in liberal district for me is a "progressive", in swing - "moderate", in conservative - "conservative". I don't give a damn if a black-majority district is represented by white Jew, as is the case with Steve Cohen in TN-09 or - heavily Hispanic district by white (who also happened to be Jew) as was in Howard Berman case in California until 2012. Never understood an "identity politics" and, probably, never will...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 05:54:12 AM »

Well, may be i don't understand something, but for me there is absolutely no difference whether district elects male or female; "straight" or "gay/lesbian"; Protestant, Catholic, Mormon, Muslin, Jew or Buddhist; White, Black, Hispanics, Asian or Native American. And so on. The only criteria i use is "congressman must reflect views of his/her district as close as possible". That's why a "natural" congressman in liberal district for me is a "progressive", in swing - "moderate", in conservative - "conservative". I don't give a damn if a black-majority district is represented by white Jew, as is the case with Steve Cohen in TN-09 or - heavily Hispanic district by white (who also happened to be Jew) as was in Howard Berman case in California until 2012. Never understood an "identity politics" and, probably, never will...

The more gay people in Congress, the more force the gay community has in politics. Same with African-Americans, Hispanics, and all other minority groups. And unfortunately, there's still not a lot of districts that are willing to vote for these minority groups, so when an opportunity arises for a minority to be elected, it's hard not to hope that the seat goes to someone that isn't an old white businessman.

I don't have a problem with Steve Cohen representing a majority-black district, and clearly, neither do the people of Memphis. That's because he in-touch with the people of his district and willing to fight for their concerns, despite not being part of the group. However, he is the exception, not the rule.

Well, if an "old white businessman" is an adequate representative for his district (ANY district, being it majority-white or, say, majority Hispanic, as, for example, is a case with Gene Green in Texas) - what's the problem? We applauded (rightfully), when white-majority areas elected Black mayors, congressmen and so on, then why so many people (especially - Black) were angry when white businessman was elected mayor of 85% Black Detroit last year?? It really smacks a sort of hypocrisy to me..
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies