I think I know why Western PA has trended to the right
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:25:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  I think I know why Western PA has trended to the right
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I think I know why Western PA has trended to the right  (Read 774 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2014, 02:09:26 AM »

And one of the primary reasons isn't what you might think. Yeah, sure, there are a lot or racists outside of the City of Pittsburgh. I've known them. I grew up around people who would be very comfortable if blacks had never been given the vote. But the trend had begun before Obama.

At one time, Western PA was decidedly supportive of the New Deal and many considered themselves Humphrey Democrats. Hubert Humphrey was nothing if not supportive of civil rights. So, what's with the sudden change?

Well, with the steel industry gone, we've been relying on energy to survive economically. My own family has strip mined on land we own for coal and are working on getting the natural gas as we speak. It was hearing the accents of the people who were working on our land that it hit me... The population that left when steel died has been slowly replaced by southern Republicans coming here for the energy jobs, practically the only decent paying job outside the city is in the energy field and it's being filled by people who are originally from places like Texas and the Gulf Coast. Increasingly around the area, I'm not hearing the yinzer accent, but rather one from down south. The demographics of Western PA have shifted, it wasn't that all of a sudden, everyone became Republicans because they hated the black guy. It was because the population increasingly had been Republican before that.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 08:02:44 AM »

A true tragedy.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 11:47:15 AM »

This is often overlooked. Sometimes regions trend over time not because of natives changing their politics, but because of transplants with different politics moving in. Forsyth County, GA for example has become even more Republican, despite becoming less southern and more diverse at the same time. I chalk it up to "blue state refugees" moving in who see the low taxes and suburban sprawl as the promised land.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 11:48:38 AM »

This is often overlooked. Sometimes regions trend over time not because of natives changing their politics, but because of transplants with different politics moving in. Forsyth County, GA for example has become even more Republican, despite becoming less southern and more diverse at the same time. I chalk it up to "blue state refugees" moving in who see the low taxes and suburban sprawl as the promised land.
I know it's factually true, but referring to Forsyth County as diverse amuses me.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 05:14:08 PM »

That it is.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 07:22:06 PM »

Good thing the much better part of the state, Eastern PA, is the part that's gaining population. Smiley
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 11:37:30 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2014, 11:39:24 PM by cope1989 »

I know it's factually true, but referring to Forsyth County as diverse amuses me.

haha, well it can only get MORE diverse when it started out as 100% white

And for the record- it's over 7% Asian now which is very high for a county in the south.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 03:29:24 PM »

Good thing the much better part of the state, Eastern PA, is the part that's gaining population. Smiley

Pittsburgh has actually also posted a gain in population for the first time in many years. In fact, it made the news on WTAE.

Pittsburgh is a beautiful city and even though I'm so out of place outside the city in terms of the politics, it's a really nice area. Pittsburgh deserves a higher population. Also consider that unlike Philadelphia, Pittsburgh is not all of Allegheny county.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies