Opinion of Blue Labour
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:26:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Blue Labour
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Movement

Horrible Movement

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Opinion of Blue Labour  (Read 1685 times)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2014, 03:17:50 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Labour

FM overall although I am concerned about some of their protectionist and nativist tendencies.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 03:32:54 AM »

Very mixed.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 07:45:45 AM »

An improvement on New Labour, which doesn't say much.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 08:01:01 AM »

HM
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:29:39 AM »

Either a snowstalker.txt thing or a cheap attempt to imitate the late South African Labour Party.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 10:33:47 AM »

Maurice Glasman isn't an uninfluential figure, but calling his pet project a 'tendency' is stretching matters a little. Anyway, he's very right about certain thing and deeply wrong about others.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 11:29:20 AM »

Maurice Glasman isn't an uninfluential figure, but calling his pet project a 'tendency' is stretching matters a little. Anyway, he's very right about certain thing and deeply wrong about others.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 12:14:34 PM »

Fake. Such an ideology simply cannot emerge to the fore given the direction taken by the Labour Party over the last few decades (socially liberal, welfarist, basically the party of teachers, NHS workers, low-ranking civil servants and 'social workers').
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 02:12:02 PM »

Yes, because I'm sure that you would have lots of lovely things to say about the Labour Party of Harold Wilson.

(not that your drooling idiocy has that much in common with reality anyway, but then that's usually the way with right-wingers of your openly insane stripe).
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 02:30:16 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2014, 02:36:00 PM by Cassius »

Yes, because I'm sure that you would have lots of lovely things to say about the Labour Party of Harold Wilson.

(not that your drooling idiocy has that much in common with reality anyway, but then that's usually the way with right-wingers of your openly insane stripe).

I wasn't trying to be deliberately offensive (such things are easy to misinterpret in print). Not that I would have many 'nice' things to say about any of the Labour party's incarnations, but there you go. But it does seem to me, from my own limited perspective, that the Labour Party is largely a middle-class public sector party now, or at the very least it's leadership is, and thus is social liberalism and support for a fairly extensive welfare state is in keeping with said membership.

If you were offended by my post, my apologies. I used the term 'welfarist' largely off the top of my head because I could not think of a better word to describe an ideology that supports an extensive welfare state.

Though I thought that  'drooling' was rather harsh Wink
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 02:47:14 PM »

I wasn't trying to be deliberately offensive (such things are easy to misinterpret in print). Not that I would have many 'nice' things to say about any of the Labour party's incarnations, but there you go. But it does seem to me, from my own limited perspective, that the Labour Party is largely a middle-class public sector party now, or at the very least it's leadership is, and thus is social liberalism and support for a fairly extensive welfare state is in keeping with said membership.

If you were offended by my post, my apologies. I used the term 'welfarist' largely off the top of my head because I could not think of a better word to describe an ideology that supports an extensive welfare state.

Though I thought that  'drooling' was rather harsh Wink

As a Tory, I have no liking for Labour but to suggest that it is a middle-class public sector party is...interesting. It still disproportionately attracts workers, those who are economically inactive and ethnic minorities. Those who work in the public sector tend to have a higher rate of people living in socially rented and private rented accommodation than those in the private sector and many of those at the lowest clerking grades (The AA/AO band; making up nearly 40% of the total staff) earn not much above the minimum wage. To say that they back Labour because they work in the public sector is misplaced; they back Labour because they don't earn that much. The reason why Labour is now socially liberal is because the nation is. There was very little about LGBT rights in their 1997 manifesto, yet it defined their time in power. That is why civil partnerships, introduced less than a decade ago look decidedly quaint now and people who opposed them as being the bringer of moral doom and gloom now stumble over each other saying they supported them while trying to oppose marriage. There is no electoral merit in traditional social conservatism.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 08:49:52 PM »

I prefer New Labour. Tongue
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 08:51:09 PM »

Yuck
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 09:53:43 PM »

How socially conservative is it?
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 01:47:45 AM »

Horrible movement combining the worst of both worlds - corporatism, populism, and community-first emphasis being wed to traditionalism, ethnocentric biases, and us versus them attitudes toward just about anyone deemed to be outsiders. No thanks. D: 
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 12:56:50 PM »

Nativism tends to be a bad thing.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 07:36:55 PM »

Horrible movement combining the worst of both worlds - corporatism, populism, and community-first emphasis being wed to traditionalism, ethnocentric biases, and us versus them attitudes toward just about anyone deemed to be outsiders. No thanks. D: 

Sums things up a lot.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies