Christie: frontrunner or not
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:33:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Christie: frontrunner or not
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Christie: frontrunner or not  (Read 903 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2014, 06:21:44 PM »

Cillizza says yes, Cook no. Who does everyone agree with?
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:27:37 PM »

I would wait a few weeks for Bridge Over Troubled Watergate to cool down and see where he stands. As of now, probably yes.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 06:36:27 PM »

I really could care less at this point, but he probably still is. Everybody's freaking out way too much about the bridge scandal.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 07:11:03 PM »

He's objectively the frontrunner in the sense that he's ahead in both the polls and the invisible primary. Being the frontrunner doesn't mean that he can't still lose the nomination. Not every frontrunner is going to be ahead 50-60 points like Hillary.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 07:32:32 PM »

I agree with Celizzas "first among equals" alternative but Cook is right that the party wants a true conservative who is also credible (non-kook Gov or Senator). Just look how Perry became frontrunner the second he announced in 2011.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 07:39:41 PM »

I agree with Celizzas "first among equals" alternative but Cook is right that the party wants a true conservative who is also credible (non-kook Gov or Senator). Just look how Perry became frontrunner the second he announced in 2011.
That's why Scott Walker would be a strong candidate.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 05:57:30 PM »

IMO, Cook overestimates the odds of a hard right-winger winning the nomination. If I recall correctly, he was pretty confident that Perry would be the '12 nominee at one point.

I don't deny that the desire is there from the base for a "true conservative", but I remain skeptical that any GOP presidential contender can win the nomination without at least some establishment support.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 06:00:06 PM »

Could be what I call a "fusion" candidate like Walker or Rubio.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 06:12:20 PM »

That's why Scott Walker would be a strong candidate.

Walker has to win in 2014 first. He is slight favorite but  led by only 2 points in the latest poll.

https://law.marquette.edu/poll/2013/10/29/marquette-law-school-poll-shows-walker-in-tight-race-with-burke-for-wisconsin-governor-in-2014/
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 06:17:36 PM »

Frontrunner for a prison term, I guess. Though Walker is close behind.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 06:36:02 PM »

Not anymore. As of right now, Scott Walker, Ted Cruz and Rick Santorum are the new frontrunners for the Republican nomination.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 06:39:41 PM »

Not anymore. As of right now, Scott Walker, Ted Cruz and Rick Santorum are the new frontrunners for the Republican nomination.

If Walker, Thune, and Bush don't run, the GOP establishment is much more likely to support Rubio than either Santorum or Cruz.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 10:25:42 PM »

Here's the problem, you need votes to win elections, but you need money to win votes. And the "money primary" for 2016 is basically going to start the day after Election Day 2014. That's when all the pieces on the chessboard are going to be wherever they'll be for the next cycle. That's when the big donors and the bundlers are going to come out of hibernation. That's when the people playing "Will (s)he or won't (s)he?" in public will be quietly forming super-PACs.

If people are still talking about Christie's growing number of "-gates" in November, he's going to have a hard time getting people to buy into his candidacy. They're going to put their money in other people's pots. And Christie doesn't have the option of going after "grassroots" groups or right-wing millionaires like the Kochs or Foster Friess for support; he's not that kind of Republican. If I were a wealthy, mainstream Republican donor looking for an electable "normal" conservative, I would say I have a better option in someone like Jeb Bush, who has most of Christie's positives and none of the scandal. If I wanted a Republican governor from a blue/purple state, I'd rather go with someone like Susana Martinez or Scott Walker.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 10:27:29 PM »

I hope he's not our candidate in 2016, so I biasly say no.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 10:49:17 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2014, 10:58:02 PM by Mordecai »

And Christie doesn't have the option of going after "grassroots" groups or right-wing millionaires like the Kochs or Foster Friess for support; he's not that kind of Republican.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/09/audio-chris-christie-koch-brothers-seminar

http://www.bradblog.com/?page_id=8702

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies