MW New School Sales and Advertising Freedom Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:18:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MW New School Sales and Advertising Freedom Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MW New School Sales and Advertising Freedom Act (Failed)  (Read 407 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2014, 06:50:34 AM »
« edited: January 21, 2014, 09:00:48 AM by MW Archduke windjammer »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Arturo Belano for Brewer
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 06:52:06 AM »

My first question: Why?
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 08:16:03 AM »

(I assume I'm allowed to post a response here.)

I do not feel it is the place of the government to tell schools what they can and cannot sell and to force local television agencies to air these commercials. The commercials decision would be better decided by the agencies, while the sales decisions would be much better decided by the schools. We should promote healthy eating, but not by forcing schools to discontinue sales of foods deemed unhealthy. To me, this seems like an overreach of government in principle, but I'm open to hearing what those opposed to this bill believe.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 10:25:30 AM »

Of course you're allowed to post a response Brewer!
-----------------------------------------------------

Well, I was the sponsor of this bill, and Maxwell signed this bill, and as you all know, he's a libertarian.
Your point of view is what I constantly reproach to left and right libertarians. They are too ideological, and of course somewhat dreamy. Governing a country requires pragmatism.

Why have I written this bill? Obesity is a problem in the USA, especially in the Midwest. I guess all people understand that. I have written this bill with the help of Maxwell in order to fight this problem. And the best thing to do it to start at school. People can always eat unhealthy food outside school, but at least schools are protected from being indoctrinated by the agri-food. Midwesterner could at least have the chance to not be obese.

In order to write this bill, I took inspiration from efforts of my country to fight obesity, it's better than nothing. If this bill passes, obesity will never be ended.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 05:48:10 PM »

I fail to see how allowing schools to sell "foods deemed unhealthy" will cause obesity to live on longer than if the original bills stays in place. That seems a bit naive. And Midwesterners DO have the chance to not be obese. As you said, as soon as they step out of the door, unhealthy food is practically waiting for them. Why should we allow the government to mandate what we can and cannot buy within schools if we can buy them right outside the doors?
GAworth
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 12:39:15 PM »

I fail to see how allowing schools to sell "foods deemed unhealthy" will cause obesity to live on longer than if the original bills stays in place. That seems a bit naive. And Midwesterners DO have the chance to not be obese. As you said, as soon as they step out of the door, unhealthy food is practically waiting for them. Why should we allow the government to mandate what we can and cannot buy within schools if we can buy them right outside the doors?
See I have a problem with this logic. Unhealthy school choices can set a kid up for obesity. Schools will not provide healthier choices because they are generally more expensive than "unhealthy" options. I also don't think advertisements are great in schools either. Children are impressionable and should not be assaulted with ads.

Also, does this bill apply to Private schools? Or Pre-K institutions? (windjammer?)
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 09:40:47 AM »

And I understand your concerns, GAWorth, but I just don't think governments should be mandating what foods can be sold when it is placing higher costs on these schools. I'd much rather have schools receive extra funds for selling healthier foods or for development purposes or whatnot from the government of the Midwest before I would like to see schools having to pay higher costs on their own.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 10:01:04 AM »

Well, sorry for being long to answer,

When I speak about "unhealth food", it was more against: soda, hamburger,... I think that if Schools aren't allowed to propose these meals, children will have less chance to be obese in the future, because Schools are extremely important for educating children.
What's more, you seem to have forgotten a part of this law: "3. In an effort to improve funding for physical education and healthy meals in school, the following amendment to the Midwest Budget shall be implemented:". According to the last budget voted few weeks ago: this bill has a 3 Billion budget, so this bill isn't a cost at all for schools, it's an improvement.

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 01:56:18 PM »

Well?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 02:07:23 PM »

I am against the Brewer's amendment.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 06:24:53 AM »

I call a 48 hour vote. I urge the Most Serene Representatives to vote Nay!!!
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 08:11:24 AM »

Abstain
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 08:33:55 AM »