UK parliamentary by-elections 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:09:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK parliamentary by-elections 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18
Author Topic: UK parliamentary by-elections 2014  (Read 37527 times)
DL
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: October 07, 2014, 12:26:05 PM »

Let's be clear, Labour is in no position to openly help anyone other than itself in Rochester...but I'm also saying that this being a byelection - there is no "motive" whatsoever for a Labour voter to vote Tory to save the seat from going Ukip - on the contrary if you wanted to vote tactically at all - either stick with Labour or vote UKIP in the byelection just for the sake of tossing a hand grenade at the Tories.
EPG
« Reply #301 on: October 07, 2014, 12:32:04 PM »

The thing about Clacton when it was called Harwich was that it included Harwich; i.e. a ferry port. The Labour candidate also happened to be a man with what almost amounted (and still amounts) to a personality cult in Harwich town. It was one of the more bewildering gains of '97, which says everything.

Many of which were seaside towns (Hastings, Hove). Add on the others like Blackpool, and it suggests that something happened in these towns, some of which now seem prone to UKIP, but as a non-Britisher I haven't a clue what.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #302 on: October 07, 2014, 12:47:51 PM »

Well there are seaside resorts and then there are seaside resorts. Clacton is a retirement resort (the proportion of people over 65 in the constituency is twice the English average) and such places have generally remained within the Tory fold, even when they've become a little shabby around the edges. Seaside resorts of the other type have tended to become genuinely competitive - and some (e.g. Rhyl) have turned into Labour strongholds - as social trends have destroyed their former economic prosperity. There was also a government policy in the 80s of dispersing benefit claimants to seaside resorts.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #303 on: October 07, 2014, 01:11:04 PM »

There was also a government policy in the 80s of dispersing benefit claimants to seaside resorts.

Sounds odd. Why?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #304 on: October 07, 2014, 07:15:22 PM »

Cheap accommodation (boarding houses and so on).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #305 on: October 09, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »

The Clacton and Heywood & Middleton by-elections are today. I'm somewhat leery wrt the accuracy of constituency polling (way too many cases of them being miles off) but both seats have been polled twice. Both Clacton polls have shown huge leads for Carswell,* and both Heywood & Middleton polls have shown large leads for Labour. One thing to bear in mind (and I mention this only because there will be an absolute deluge of fevered comment tomorrow and over the weekend; actually it's already started) is that 'sensational' by-elections rarely have much of a long-term impact.

*Though it may be useful to note that the last one of these was conducted over a month ago.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #306 on: October 09, 2014, 11:31:08 AM »

But "sensational" by-elections also rarely involve a rising third party winning their first seat in Parliament by a landslide, no?
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #307 on: October 09, 2014, 12:09:05 PM »

But "sensational" by-elections also rarely involve a rising third party winning their first seat in Parliament by a landslide, no?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_West_by-election,_2012

And for a none sarcastic response, I point to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosby_by-election,_1981

Although yes, a UKIP win will be something pretty big.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #308 on: October 09, 2014, 12:24:25 PM »

At this point any result other than a UKIP win in Clacton and a Labour win in Heywood & Middleton would indicate an impressive feat of expectation management by the winner.

The margin in Clacton will be of interest: if it's of the scale suggested by the Survation poll, then that will be quite impressive; if it's much smaller, then that might suggest that UKIP are still struggling to do well enough to actually win seats under FPTP in any sort of normal circumstances. 

(At the moment, in the General Election I'm expecting them to hold Clacton, take South Thanet and quite probably also take Boston & Skegness, though I might change my mind on that one if the local party select Neil Hamilton as candidate; there are also a few other seats where I think they have a chance.  But if they only win fairly narrowly tonight I might go back to thinking they could easily flop and not win anywhere at all.)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #309 on: October 09, 2014, 12:41:36 PM »

Well a party can only ever win its first seat once. But that sort of thing has happened a couple of times, sure. There have also been innumerable massive Liberal by-election wins that led precisely nowhere (in many cases the triumphant Liberal/LibDem didn't even hold the seat at the next General Election).

And there there are all the various near-upsets that have often been treated as 'sensational'. And sometimes even results that weren't genuinely close but were a lot closer than normal have been treated (somewhat bizarrely) as such. Who now remembers the 1989 Richmond by-election where William Hague was run shockingly close by the continuity SDP?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #310 on: October 09, 2014, 12:42:48 PM »

The margin in Clacton will be of interest: if it's of the scale suggested by the Survation poll, then that will be quite impressive; if it's much smaller, then that might suggest that UKIP are still struggling to do well enough to actually win seats under FPTP in any sort of normal circumstances. 

This is a fair comment I think.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #311 on: October 09, 2014, 01:10:12 PM »

Carswell's performance will also be some kind of indicator for Reckless when the end of the pier show moves to a swampy estuary in Kent.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #312 on: October 09, 2014, 04:39:28 PM »

Polls closed half an hour ago. As per usual I will warn you all about trusting very early rumours.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #313 on: October 09, 2014, 04:42:45 PM »

According to the Guardian the Clacton result is expected between 1.30 and 3am, and Heywood & Middleton at about 2am.  But they then do say that (as we know) these times are often unreliable.

I'm not seeing any suggestions of unexpected winners in either, even on Twitter.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #314 on: October 09, 2014, 05:07:11 PM »

The "All That's Left" blog has constituency profiles: Heywood & Middleton and Clacton.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #315 on: October 09, 2014, 06:09:06 PM »

Indications (and these are still quite early so be warned) are of a UKIP majority of maybe as high as 10,000 in Clacton, and of a Labour majority in the general region of 3,000 to 2,000 in Heywood & Middleton. Turnout in the latter is confirmed as an awful 36%.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #316 on: October 09, 2014, 06:16:37 PM »

Labour are saying that they're going to win Heywood & Middleton and that their vote percentage will be up on 2010 and what they polled at the 2014 locals. UKIP are hoping for a result in the mid 30s. Tory vote rumoured to have evaporated.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #317 on: October 09, 2014, 06:27:22 PM »

Labour are saying that they're going to win Heywood & Middleton and that their vote percentage will be up on 2010 and what they polled at the 2014 locals. UKIP are hoping for a result in the mid 30s. Tory vote rumoured to have evaporated.

Suggestions that the Tories might be as low as 10%, and there doesn't seem to be much hope for the Lib Dem deposit.  It seems as if UKIP are squeezing the anti-Labour vote.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #318 on: October 09, 2014, 06:31:49 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2014, 06:39:14 PM by YL »

... and the Guardian are saying that Labour are saying that the Tories are on about 20% in Clacton, and that the Lib Dems have lost their deposit there too (no surprise I think).

NB 20% is what Survation said.

Edit: they've now amended that to roughly U 60%, C 24%, Lab 12%
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #319 on: October 09, 2014, 06:41:18 PM »

... and the Guardian are saying that Labour are saying that the Tories are on about 20% in Clacton, and that the Lib Dems have lost their deposit there too (no surprise I think).

NB 20% is what Survation said.

Edit: they've now amended that to roughly U 60%, C 24%, Lab 12%

That's terrible news for Ed Miliband.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #320 on: October 09, 2014, 06:43:53 PM »

Farage has conceded defeat on behalf of his candidate (why does he do this?) wrt Heywood & Middleton.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #321 on: October 09, 2014, 06:45:37 PM »

51% turnout in Clacton.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #322 on: October 09, 2014, 06:59:28 PM »

Apparently a recount in Heywood & Middleton. urgh.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #323 on: October 09, 2014, 07:03:10 PM »

Its been suggested that it's a bundle check instead.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #324 on: October 09, 2014, 07:13:03 PM »

No, a full recount. Apparently the majority was c.600 or so; that would normally be too high for a proper recount, so this is a bit weird.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies