Opinion of Daniel Webster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:33:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Daniel Webster
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of the long-term Whig-MA senator
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Opinion of Daniel Webster  (Read 248 times)
Storebought
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2014, 05:29:19 PM »

You don't hear very much about Daniel Webster. I recall being introduced to him as a personality in middle school civics class (a long time ago), but as little else. Here is the wiki if you need to jog your memory.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 05:31:49 PM »

FF
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 05:37:25 PM »

FF.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 06:16:16 PM »

I think of Daniel Webster even less highly than I do Henry Clay, co-author of the 1850 fugitive slave act.

This was a man whose principles of government were based entirely on the concerns of increasing his own wealth through government policy.

He loudly and bombastically defended the second Bank because he was a shareholder in it; the Union because of personal investments in territory real estate; high tariffs because of shipping contracts, etc.

You could argue that he "Invested in America," and wanted to secure his own returns by strengthening federal institutions, but by that logic, if he had been born in Virginia, he would have loudly and bombastically supported cotton slavery and Southern sectionalism.

His best legacy, one that didn't involve self-seeking or getting rich at national expense, was settling the Maine boundary dispute. But even that was canceled out by turning into a Doughface at the end of his career.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 07:06:48 PM »

The first MA flip flopper.

When he was in NH he was free trader, but switched to protectionism just as Calhoun flipped the other way.

I lean positive but his last actions were an unfortunate way to end his career with the fugitive slave act.

I think of Daniel Webster even less highly than I do Henry Clay, co-author of the 1850 fugitive slave act.

This was a man whose principles of government were based entirely on the concerns of increasing his own wealth through government policy.

He loudly and bombastically defended the second Bank because he was a shareholder in it; the Union because of personal investments in territory real estate; high tariffs because of shipping contracts, etc.

You could argue that he "Invested in America," and wanted to secure his own returns by strengthening federal institutions, but by that logic, if he had been born in Virginia, he would have loudly and bombastically supported cotton slavery and Southern sectionalism.

His best legacy, one that didn't involve self-seeking or getting rich at national expense, was settling the Maine boundary dispute. But even that was canceled out by turning into a Doughface at the end of his career.

"Cotton" slavery was not real big in VA for obvious reasons, nor was southern sectionalism (until the end of his career at least).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 07:12:27 PM »

Pretty low. Scary looking guy as well.

(and welcome back to a poster from the good (?) old days)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies