James Lankford (R OK-5) to run for Tom Coburn's Senate Seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:03:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  James Lankford (R OK-5) to run for Tom Coburn's Senate Seat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: James Lankford (R OK-5) to run for Tom Coburn's Senate Seat  (Read 15704 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2014, 03:07:35 PM »

Long Shannon profile in NYT.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2014, 08:23:38 PM »

Thanks Grant. I'll be watching this race to see what happens here, but it looks like there are at least 3 [maybe Russell too] candidates who could make the run-off.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2014, 08:37:13 PM »

Max,

I'm new to OK-1.  Do you know if there are any viable candidates running for Bridenstine's seat on either side of the aisle?  How do you like Bridenstine?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2014, 08:43:59 PM »

Max,

I'm new to OK-1.  Do you know if there are any viable candidates running for Bridenstine's seat on either side of the aisle?  How do you like Bridenstine?

OK-1 is extremely Republican [even for Oklahoma], and Bridenstine isn't going face a credible challenger, to his right or to his left. The only reason Sullivan was held to relatively weak margins for a long time was because he had a relatively strong opponent and he's scandal ridden and rehab prone. Since Sullivan's been defeated, this district won't be competitive any time soon.

In fact, Bridenstine is running completely unopposed.

Bridenstine is one of the better House Republicans in mind - fairly anti-leadership, voted with the Amash defund the NSA bill. That being said, he's also kind of a fringe character, more in line with Ted Cruz than Rand Paul. You probably won't like him.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2014, 09:19:38 PM »

Max,

OK-1 is extremely Republican [even for Oklahoma], and Bridenstine isn't going face a credible challenger, to his right or to his left. The only reason Sullivan was held to relatively weak margins for a long time was because he had a relatively strong opponent and he's scandal ridden and rehab prone. Since Sullivan's been defeated, this district won't be competitive any time soon.

Bridenstine is one of the better House Republicans in mind - fairly anti-leadership, voted with the Amash defund the NSA bill. That being said, he's also kind of a fringe character, more in line with Ted Cruz than Rand Paul. You probably won't like him.

I'll have to give him time to prove himself to me.  I'm not going to pass judgment on someone I've only been under for 2 weeks.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2014, 03:07:25 PM »

Shannon's going to win this, right? Or is Oklahoma too racist? This would be the second black-on-black Senate race after Obama vs. Keyes 2004, right?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2014, 03:13:06 PM »

Shannon's going to win this, right? Or is Oklahoma too racist? This would be the second black-on-black Senate race after Obama vs. Keyes 2004, right?

Shannon has momentum on his side. I could see a large win for him. Lankford is doing too little too late.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2014, 06:02:50 PM »

When's Oklahoma's statewide primary?

What is the latest of exit polling and TV Advertising between Shannon and Lankford ?

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2014, 11:27:23 PM »

When's Oklahoma's statewide primary?

What is the latest of exit polling and TV Advertising between Shannon and Lankford ?

June 24 is our primary with runoff August 26.  I haven't seen any polling lately.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2014, 02:34:03 PM »

Could Lankford be rebounding?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2014, 06:05:17 PM »

I don't think so. I would be super surprised if he were. The poll for the Lankford uptick was done at the same time as the first poll to show Shannon ahead. If Lankford manages to win, I would be shocked.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2014, 07:15:06 AM »

Local poll: 34/32 Lankford.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2014, 07:48:38 PM »

Citizens United endorses Shannon.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2014, 12:59:58 PM »

What do you think happens next month?
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2014, 01:16:18 PM »

Shannon might not be able to overcome the huge advantages Lankford has.

Not even Kevin Durant can beat Lankford.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2014, 01:22:10 PM »

I'm not sure I believe a poll that has Shannon ahead with moderates, considering the way Shannon is jockeying.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2014, 06:17:22 PM »

Max,

I'll have to give him time to prove himself to me.  I'm not going to pass judgment on someone I've only been under for 2 weeks.

Your failure to support Shannon is racist. The Senators endorsing Lankford are racist.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2014, 06:18:41 PM »

Regarding the recent poll, Shannon trails among Tea Partiers, conservatives, and religous voters.

Edit 1: Also, Poll results by congressional district. Shannon's winning in Tulsa and the SE, Lankford's winning in OKC and the NW.

Edit 2: If anyone cares enough, Lankford, Shannon, and Brogdon all do a Q&A on a Tulsa radio show.

Racists.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2014, 05:58:16 PM »

Whether Lankford or Shannon win outright depends on Brogdon et al + negative ads. Similar that way to NE.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2014, 06:13:46 PM »

Regarding the recent poll, Shannon trails among Tea Partiers, conservatives, and religous voters.

Edit 1: Also, Poll results by congressional district. Shannon's winning in Tulsa and the SE, Lankford's winning in OKC and the NW.

Edit 2: If anyone cares enough, Lankford, Shannon, and Brogdon all do a Q&A on a Tulsa radio show.

Racists.

Um, Tulsa is definitely farther to the right than Oklahoma City. If the Republican primary voters of Oklahoma were in fact voting for Lankford and against Shannon because the former is white and the latter is black, it seems more likely that Shannon would be most competitive in Oklahoma City and not lead anywhere else in the state.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2014, 08:11:35 PM »

Racists.

Um, Tulsa is definitely farther to the right than Oklahoma City. If the Republican primary voters of Oklahoma were in fact voting for Lankford and against Shannon because the former is white and the latter is black, it seems more likely that Shannon would be most competitive in Oklahoma City and not lead anywhere else in the state.

Simfan is obviously joking, but that's beside the point.

I think that's a fair point, but Oklahoma City is far more Republican than Tulsa, if that makes sense.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2014, 04:33:30 PM »

Least surprising endorsement in the world: Watts for Shannon.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2014, 12:48:58 PM »

ACU endorses Shannon.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2014, 12:51:13 PM »

Least surprising endorsement in the world: Watts for Shannon.

Not surprising but nevertheless helpful. Watts is still a popular name here, even though he hasn't been in congress for years.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2014, 08:45:53 AM »

$240k of outside anti-Lankford ads.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies