James Lankford (R OK-5) to run for Tom Coburn's Senate Seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:33:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  James Lankford (R OK-5) to run for Tom Coburn's Senate Seat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: James Lankford (R OK-5) to run for Tom Coburn's Senate Seat  (Read 15742 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2014, 03:33:56 PM »

As most everyone knows Congressman Lankford is an unashamed Southern Baptist Christian and he preached at my parents' church in March (I was unable to attend unfortunately) and I saw him at the Men's Retreat I went to at the youth camp grounds that he oversaw before running for Congress.  James Lankford has my full support for the United States Senate.
Bushie, you won't support the OK democrat?

Normally, I would, and I will likely support the Democratic candidate for Governor and other offices, but I know Lankford personally and he and I agree on most every issue.  He is what Oklahoma needs in the Senate to replace Tom Coburn.  I just wish he were replacing Jim Inhofe, but oh well.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2014, 03:47:55 PM »

As most everyone knows Congressman Lankford is an unashamed Southern Baptist Christian and he preached at my parents' church in March (I was unable to attend unfortunately) and I saw him at the Men's Retreat I went to at the youth camp grounds that he oversaw before running for Congress.  James Lankford has my full support for the United States Senate.

Normally, I would, and I will likely support the Democratic candidate for Governor and other offices, but I know Lankford personally and he and I agree on most every issue.  He is what Oklahoma needs in the Senate to replace Tom Coburn.  I just wish he were replacing Jim Inhofe, but oh well.
How can you say you agree withhim on most every issue? Is he progressive like you economically? Does he support medicaid expansion or something like that?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2014, 03:53:03 PM »

How can you say you agree withhim on most every issue? Is he progressive like you economically? Does he support medicaid expansion or something like that?

I was talking more social issues.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2014, 04:25:21 PM »

He s pro life and pro ssm? Which views differenciate him from the typical ok rep?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2014, 04:29:10 PM »

He s pro life and pro ssm? Which views differenciate him from the typical ok rep?

To be honest, I'm kind of going the other way on SSM.  He is as anti-SSM as they come.  I find myself slowly trending in that direction.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2014, 04:33:29 PM »

To be honest, I'm kind of going the other way on SSM.  He is as anti-SSM as they come.  I find myself slowly trending in that direction.
To be honest You're the first person I know who is becoming less pro ssm. May I ask why?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2014, 04:36:51 PM »

To be honest You're the first person I know who is becoming less pro ssm. May I ask why?

I am trying to line up my beliefs with those of the Bible.  I'm trying to let the Bible dictate my voting habits.  The Bible clearly does not condone homosexual marriage and as God's child, I should not either.  Trust me, it is a hard decision, and I'm fighting it, but I realize that ultimately God and His Word will prevail over all world governments including the United States, so I need to get in line with His teachings.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2014, 04:39:51 PM »

I am trying to line up my beliefs with those of the Bible.  I'm trying to let the Bible dictate my voting habits.  The Bible clearly does not condone homosexual marriage and as God's child, I should not either.  Trust me, it is a hard decision, and I'm fighting it, but I realize that ultimately God and His Word will prevail over all world governments including the United States, so I need to get in line with His teachings.
If the bible doesn t condemn it, why is it a difficult décision?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2014, 04:46:25 PM »

To me, it does condemn it in Leviticus 18:22 - "Thou shall not lie with mankind as with womankind."
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2014, 04:47:47 PM »

To me, it does condemn it in Leviticus 18:22 - "Thou shall not lie with mankind as with womankind."
What happened to Jesus and treat others as they would treat you? 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2014, 04:55:24 PM »

What happened to Jesus and treat others as they would treat you? 

Jesus clearly commands to love gays.  Loving gays does not mean accepting their lifestyle.  Anyways, I am not going to get into a theological discussion tonight, so I'll end my comments here.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2014, 04:56:33 PM »

oh if only we lived in a theocracy Roll Eyes
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2014, 05:06:23 PM »

Leviticus?  Oh dear.  The same book that also condemns eating shellfish, mixing fabrics, and tattoos?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2014, 06:10:34 PM »

Leviticus?  Oh dear.  The same book that also condemns eating shellfish, mixing fabrics, and tattoos?

Well we know Bushie has no trouble exercising discretion in what he shovels down his mouth.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2014, 06:20:04 PM »

So if you think that's clear based on Leviticus, do you think the rest of Leviticus applies?  Such as Leviticus 19:19's prohibition on wearing clothing woven of two kinds of materials or Leviticus 19:27's directive not to cut the hair on the sides of your head or trim your beard?  If not, why do you think Leviticus 18 is applicable today but Leviticus 19 is not?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2014, 06:30:56 PM »

So if you think that's clear based on Leviticus, do you think the rest of Leviticus applies?  Such as Leviticus 19:19's prohibition on wearing clothing woven of two kinds of materials or Leviticus 19:27's directive not to cut the hair on the sides of your head or trim your beard?  If not, why do you think Leviticus 18 is applicable today but Leviticus 19 is not?

Probably because that particular part of Leviticus 18 is reiterated in the New Testament, whereas the others are part of the Mosaic Law that was done away with when the early Christians decided not to make all converts Jewish.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2014, 06:32:56 PM »

Bushie, do you even understand the Bible.  This was written at a time when women were property to men and if they were not virgins, they were stoned to death.
njwes
United States

« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2014, 07:51:07 PM »

There's not much of a point to this "discussion," certainly nothing that hasn't been done in a million other internet threads and spawned a million flame wars.

Anyway, here's some good Shannon footage from a couple days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ9JPs47Q0w

Lankford needs to up his YouTube game--there're plenty of videos of him from C-Span on the House floor, but not many highlights

https://www.youtube.com/user/RepLankford/videos
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2014, 08:32:06 PM »

Probably because that particular part of Leviticus 18 is reiterated in the New Testament, whereas the others are part of the Mosaic Law that was done away with when the early Christians decided not to make all converts Jewish.

The interpretation of the word "arsenokoitai" has been debated, and it's not entirely clear that it actually refers to homosexuals.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2014, 08:39:44 PM »

Jesus clearly commands to love gays.  Loving gays does not mean accepting their lifestyle.  Anyways, I am not going to get into a theological discussion tonight, so I'll end my comments here.

Do you think loving someone means interfering with their own personal decision on whether they want to morally and legally dedicate themselves to someone they love?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2014, 09:03:48 PM »

The interpretation of the word "arsenokoitai" has been debated, and it's not entirely clear that it actually refers to homosexuals.

Even if you try and interpret away the condemnation in Corinthians and Timothy away on those grounds, there is still the condemnation in Romans and numerous condemnations of sodomy in the other epistles. I'm sure if jmfcst were still here, he'd quote you off a substantial list. If you are willing to ignore them all, there's nothing that could have ever possibly been written that could convince you.

But this idea that since the Levitical code contains prohibitions that no longer apply to Christianity automatically means anything it contains can't possibly apply today is essentially making the OMG STUPID CHRISTIANS EATING SHELLFISH!! HYPOCRATES!! argument that seems to get plastered on to left wing memes across the internet.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2014, 11:24:41 PM »

Even if you try and interpret away the condemnation in Corinthians and Timothy away on those grounds, there is still the condemnation in Romans and numerous condemnations of sodomy in the other epistles. I'm sure if jmfcst were still here, he'd quote you off a substantial list. If you are willing to ignore them all, there's nothing that could have ever possibly been written that could convince you.

But this idea that since the Levitical code contains prohibitions that no longer apply to Christianity automatically means anything it contains can't possibly apply today is essentially making the OMG STUPID CHRISTIANS EATING SHELLFISH!! HYPOCRATES!! argument that seems to get plastered on to left wing memes across the internet.

I strongly agree that if something from the Old Testament of the Bible, like Leviticus, has been restated in the New Testament, it still stands as something that should be followed by Christians to this day. Romans 1:26-27 and 1 Corinthians 6:9 are both clear Biblical passages from the New Testament indicating that sexual perversions are still sin.  I always find it sad and misguided when Christians are criticized for not following the Levitical code, because it is apparent that the instructions in Leviticus were for the Israelites to follow in the Old Testament era in order to differentiate themselves from the pagans of that time, and that the death of Jesus on the cross for everyone's sins means that we are not bound by the law (Romans 10:4). As a Christian, I think it is important to recognize that sin is always sin, regardless of how the culture feels about it. Being from the South, I have met many conservative Christian Democrats who oppose homosexuality like "Lankford for US Senate", and I notice that they seem to be great people who are primarily Democrats because they feel that there should be advocacy of social justice, among other things. I think it would be a good idea for people to look into Jim Wallis, a Christian on the left of the political spectrum, who has a more nuanced view than I could ever have on social issues and how they relate to Christianity. He might provide some valuable insight on Biblical issues.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2014, 02:02:07 PM »

In Lankford's district, the first openly gay Democratic state senator is running for the nomination - State Senator Al McAffrey. Besides being, well, openly gay, he seems to have a good reputation, but that may be a bridge too far for Oklahoma.

Not sure he'd be any worse than Tom Guild, the 2012 nominee running again, he did a couple points worse than Obama in the district. Then again, Lankford was the incumbent, so it may have been a solid performance.

OK-5 is the least Republican District in the state, but it's also the most culturally Republican - I think they've gone the longest since a Democrat has represented them.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2014, 06:37:37 PM »

you're from OK-5. Does anyone look like a front-runner in the GOP primary, is it just a blood mess?
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2014, 07:18:22 AM »

Wow, this thread really went to hell, didn't it?

Thanks again to the usual suspects. Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies