James Lankford (R OK-5) to run for Tom Coburn's Senate Seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:04:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  James Lankford (R OK-5) to run for Tom Coburn's Senate Seat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: James Lankford (R OK-5) to run for Tom Coburn's Senate Seat  (Read 15643 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2014, 05:30:53 PM »

Cruz endorses Shannon.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2014, 07:55:13 PM »

Lankford's been branded as establishment.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2014, 11:32:15 AM »

Geez, what Republicans will do for the most conservative candidates possible. Let alone one who, if elected, would give Republicans two African American Senators and then set up the Tea Party spokesmen for their opportunity to start lying talking again about how friendly the party is nowadays on race, civil rights, voting rights, poverty programs and wages etc. It's weird to how Cruz and Lee have endorsed Shannon so far but not the 3rd Stooge, Curly (Rand Paul). I have little doubt he'll eventually endorse Shannon to and he might be waiting for the primary to end for now just so he doesn't upset his fellow redhead congressional buddy. Tongue

I still have a little faith in Lankford though that he could eek out a win, but man, he should have been prepared for this. It is after all Oklahoma which obviously has a strong bench of young Republicans who were vying for the seat even before Coburn decided to retire.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2014, 08:04:32 PM »

I"m sorry but, seriously, WTF?

The guy was elected in 2010 and has never held a public office apart from that.

T.W. Shannon and Randy Brogdon have longer political histories than Lankford does.

At this point, does Establishment just mean not crazy enough?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2014, 08:35:06 PM »

That's how the TP groups see it. To them Shannon has the preferable record, Lankford's more socon than C4G and is also a member of House leadership. Both men have support from the local establishment. Shannon has TP grassroots and the insurgent mantle.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2014, 09:09:39 PM »

At this point, does Establishment just mean not crazy enough?

Welcome to 2009. Wink
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2014, 09:56:38 PM »

Establishment = Early frontrunner, basically

Shane Osborn, Mead Treadwell, and Neil Riser all suffered from it too. It's why I expect Brannon to be the nominee in North Carolina over Tillis.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2014, 07:10:05 AM »

Guys, you could never hold elected office in your life and still be part of the "Establishment." It's all about who you're cozy with. The point (and I'm not agreeing or disagreeing because I know next to nothing about Lankford) is that he's been close to the House leaders who are generally regarded as Establishment forces.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2014, 11:41:04 AM »

Guys, you could never hold elected office in your life and still be part of the "Establishment." It's all about who you're cozy with. The point (and I'm not agreeing or disagreeing because I know next to nothing about Lankford) is that he's been close to the House leaders who are generally regarded as Establishment forces.

Thank you. It's really not that hard to see.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2014, 06:22:30 PM »

Yes, someone had to say it.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2014, 09:20:05 PM »

And why is that a bad thing? Why is it not okay to be close to House leaders for sake of actually, I don't know, getting $#!@ done, but it's perfectly okay to be close to the leaders of the Tea Party-Industrial Complex that exercises far more influence over Republican policymaking than anything that spineless chump Boehner does?

Is T.W. Shannon some lone wolf with no connections to anyone? Do you think he doesn't have his own closed-door meetings with people he owes favors to and will owe more favors to once the election's over and the checks have been cashed?

Please tell me just what far away planet you live on where that kind of "Establishment" is perfectly acceptable to you but James Lankford's isn't.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2014, 10:01:48 PM »

And why is that a bad thing? Why is it not okay to be close to House leaders for sake of actually, I don't know, getting $#!@ done, but it's perfectly okay to be close to the leaders of the Tea Party-Industrial Complex that exercises far more influence over Republican policymaking than anything that spineless chump Boehner does?

Is T.W. Shannon some lone wolf with no connections to anyone? Do you think he doesn't have his own closed-door meetings with people he owes favors to and will owe more favors to once the election's over and the checks have been cashed?

Please tell me just what far away planet you live on where that kind of "Establishment" is perfectly acceptable to you but James Lankford's isn't.
Lankford panders to the interests of the Congressional Republican leadership. Shannon panders to the interests of the Oklahoma Republican establishment, thus making him the outside voice....technically.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2014, 11:55:58 PM »

Lankford panders to the interests of the Congressional Republican leadership. Shannon panders to the interests of the Oklahoma Republican establishment, thus making him the outside voice....technically.

The same logic that prevailed when "outsider" incumbent governor Rick Perry ran against incumbent US Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison who had not held elected office for as long as Rick Perry had and had a far more substantive career outside of politics than he did.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2014, 12:42:09 PM »

Freedomworks endorses Shannon.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2014, 12:42:49 PM »

Shannon takes the lead (POS poll for OKLAHOMANS FOR A CONSERVATIVE FUTURE):

42% T.W. Shannon (+14% in the last month)
32% James Lankford (-5)
  7% Randy Brogdon (nc)

Methodology

Public Opinion Strategies is pleased to present Oklahomans for a Conservative Future with thekey findings of a telephone survey of likely Republican primary voters conducted statewide inOklahoma. The survey was completed April 21-22, 2014 among 500 likely GOP primary voters, including 100 interviews with cell phone respondents, and has a margin of error of +/- 4.38 in 95 out of 100 cases.

http://de.scribd.com/doc/219868261/OK-Sen-April-Memo
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2014, 12:43:34 PM »

That's an internal. Hopefully PPP looks there soon enough.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2014, 10:47:26 AM »

Tulsa's importance in the primary.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2014, 10:53:05 AM »

Oh boy!

As a Tulsa voter, I am totally undecided between Shannon and Brogdon. Lankford has been an Religious Righter and affiliated with Republican leadership, and that's unacceptable to me. Not that Shannon isn't, but Lankford has certainly embraced those values and said no to Fiscal Conservatism by comparison to other Oklahoma Republicans.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2014, 11:14:19 AM »

Video of Shannon stumping with Palin/Cruz/Lee.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2014, 04:37:34 PM »

Politico on the race.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2014, 04:55:32 PM »

Oh boy!

As a Tulsa voter, I am totally undecided between Shannon and Brogdon. Lankford has been an Religious Righter and affiliated with Republican leadership, and that's unacceptable to me. Not that Shannon isn't, but Lankford has certainly embraced those values and said no to Fiscal Conservatism by comparison to other Oklahoma Republicans.

What has he done, other than have the nerve to keep the federal government funded and in existence, to make you say that?
njwes
United States

« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2014, 06:14:46 PM »

Per OK laws, can Lankford still run for his House seat or does competing for the Senate mean he can't run in his district (if he loses the primary)?

Also, I see plenty of SoCon appeal here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phGxltebZAI
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2014, 09:46:37 AM »

Any new polling between Shannon and Lankford ?

Lankford's military service will be a big boost with Veterans.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2014, 03:25:45 PM »

As most everyone knows Congressman Lankford is an unashamed Southern Baptist Christian and he preached at my parents' church in March (I was unable to attend unfortunately) and I saw him at the Men's Retreat I went to at the youth camp grounds that he oversaw before running for Congress.  James Lankford has my full support for the United States Senate.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2014, 03:29:05 PM »

As most everyone knows Congressman Lankford is an unashamed Southern Baptist Christian and he preached at my parents' church in March (I was unable to attend unfortunately) and I saw him at the Men's Retreat I went to at the youth camp grounds that he oversaw before running for Congress.  James Lankford has my full support for the United States Senate.
Bushie, you won't support the OK democrat?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies