James Lankford (R OK-5) to run for Tom Coburn's Senate Seat (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:03:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  James Lankford (R OK-5) to run for Tom Coburn's Senate Seat (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: James Lankford (R OK-5) to run for Tom Coburn's Senate Seat  (Read 15715 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« on: January 19, 2014, 07:16:13 PM »

Congressman Lankford just made the announcement today.  He's got my vote for sure.

EDIT:  The announcement will likely come tomorrow.

http://kfor.com/2014/01/19/lankford-to-run-coburns-senate-seat/
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 07:54:03 PM »

A ginger Bible camp counselor is exactly what the US Senate needs.

What he brings is conservative, Biblical principles and ideology.  Certainly something the Senate is short on.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 07:55:38 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Since when?

He has been on Fox News and CNN quite often in the past couple of years.  I can see his high profile status based on the number of times the MSM interview him.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 02:14:42 PM »

Lankford got endorsed by Huckabee today.

I haven't seen that, but great news for Lankford.  I will likely vote for Lankford and I have always liked Huckabee.  I think this is a key endorsement.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 06:04:38 PM »

Lankford got endorsed by Huckabee today.

I haven't seen that, but great news for Lankford.  I will likely vote for Lankford and I have always liked Huckabee.  I think this is a key endorsement.

Yeah, Huckabee sure knows how to pick good Senators. Senator Todd Akin sure is a credit to the state of Missouri. Tongue

Ouch...  You're right.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 03:25:45 PM »

As most everyone knows Congressman Lankford is an unashamed Southern Baptist Christian and he preached at my parents' church in March (I was unable to attend unfortunately) and I saw him at the Men's Retreat I went to at the youth camp grounds that he oversaw before running for Congress.  James Lankford has my full support for the United States Senate.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 03:33:56 PM »

As most everyone knows Congressman Lankford is an unashamed Southern Baptist Christian and he preached at my parents' church in March (I was unable to attend unfortunately) and I saw him at the Men's Retreat I went to at the youth camp grounds that he oversaw before running for Congress.  James Lankford has my full support for the United States Senate.
Bushie, you won't support the OK democrat?

Normally, I would, and I will likely support the Democratic candidate for Governor and other offices, but I know Lankford personally and he and I agree on most every issue.  He is what Oklahoma needs in the Senate to replace Tom Coburn.  I just wish he were replacing Jim Inhofe, but oh well.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 03:53:03 PM »

Normally, I would, and I will likely support the Democratic candidate for Governor and other offices, but I know Lankford personally and he and I agree on most every issue.  He is what Oklahoma needs in the Senate to replace Tom Coburn.  I just wish he were replacing Jim Inhofe, but oh well.
How can you say you agree withhim on most every issue? Is he progressive like you economically? Does he support medicaid expansion or something like that?

I was talking more social issues.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 04:29:10 PM »

How can you say you agree withhim on most every issue? Is he progressive like you economically? Does he support medicaid expansion or something like that?

He s pro life and pro ssm? Which views differenciate him from the typical ok rep?

To be honest, I'm kind of going the other way on SSM.  He is as anti-SSM as they come.  I find myself slowly trending in that direction.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 04:36:51 PM »

He s pro life and pro ssm? Which views differenciate him from the typical ok rep?

To be honest, I'm kind of going the other way on SSM.  He is as anti-SSM as they come.  I find myself slowly trending in that direction.
To be honest You're the first person I know who is becoming less pro ssm. May I ask why?

I am trying to line up my beliefs with those of the Bible.  I'm trying to let the Bible dictate my voting habits.  The Bible clearly does not condone homosexual marriage and as God's child, I should not either.  Trust me, it is a hard decision, and I'm fighting it, but I realize that ultimately God and His Word will prevail over all world governments including the United States, so I need to get in line with His teachings.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 04:46:25 PM »

To be honest You're the first person I know who is becoming less pro ssm. May I ask why?

I am trying to line up my beliefs with those of the Bible.  I'm trying to let the Bible dictate my voting habits.  The Bible clearly does not condone homosexual marriage and as God's child, I should not either.  Trust me, it is a hard decision, and I'm fighting it, but I realize that ultimately God and His Word will prevail over all world governments including the United States, so I need to get in line with His teachings.
If the bible doesn t condemn it, why is it a difficult décision?

To me, it does condemn it in Leviticus 18:22 - "Thou shall not lie with mankind as with womankind."
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 04:55:24 PM »

If the bible doesn t condemn it, why is it a difficult décision?

To me, it does condemn it in Leviticus 18:22 - "Thou shall not lie with mankind as with womankind."
What happened to Jesus and treat others as they would treat you? 

Jesus clearly commands to love gays.  Loving gays does not mean accepting their lifestyle.  Anyways, I am not going to get into a theological discussion tonight, so I'll end my comments here.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 08:37:13 PM »

Max,

I'm new to OK-1.  Do you know if there are any viable candidates running for Bridenstine's seat on either side of the aisle?  How do you like Bridenstine?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 09:19:38 PM »

Max,

I'm new to OK-1.  Do you know if there are any viable candidates running for Bridenstine's seat on either side of the aisle?  How do you like Bridenstine?

OK-1 is extremely Republican [even for Oklahoma], and Bridenstine isn't going face a credible challenger, to his right or to his left. The only reason Sullivan was held to relatively weak margins for a long time was because he had a relatively strong opponent and he's scandal ridden and rehab prone. Since Sullivan's been defeated, this district won't be competitive any time soon.

In fact, Bridenstine is running completely unopposed.

Bridenstine is one of the better House Republicans in mind - fairly anti-leadership, voted with the Amash defund the NSA bill. That being said, he's also kind of a fringe character, more in line with Ted Cruz than Rand Paul. You probably won't like him.

I'll have to give him time to prove himself to me.  I'm not going to pass judgment on someone I've only been under for 2 weeks.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 11:27:23 PM »

When's Oklahoma's statewide primary?

What is the latest of exit polling and TV Advertising between Shannon and Lankford ?

June 24 is our primary with runoff August 26.  I haven't seen any polling lately.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 05:46:32 PM »

Apparently Shannon's hammering the Tulsa media market with those two ads for the next week. Smart move since OKC is Lankford territory.

I live in Tulsa, and our market is flooded with mostly pro-Shannon ads.  I see a few pro-Lankford ads, but mostly pro-Shannon ads.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 08:36:26 AM »

Unfortunately, I will be unable to vote as I stupidly forgot to sign my voter's registration when I sent it in in May.  I sent it back in with my signature so hopefully I can vote if there's a runoff and definitely in the general.  If I could vote in the primary, I would be voting for James Lankford.  I don't understand why TW Shannon had to resort to all attack ads against Lankford and very little talk about his own record as House Speaker of the Oklahoma Legislature.  He's finally got a positive ad doing just that with Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) endorsing him with no attacks on Lankford.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2014, 07:31:19 PM »

Unfortunately, I will be unable to vote as I stupidly forgot to sign my voter's registration when I sent it in in May.  I sent it back in with my signature so hopefully I can vote if there's a runoff and definitely in the general.  If I could vote in the primary, I would be voting for James Lankford.  I don't understand why TW Shannon had to resort to all attack ads against Lankford and very little talk about his own record as House Speaker of the Oklahoma Legislature.  He's finally got a positive ad doing just that with Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) endorsing him with no attacks on Lankford.
You've probably already addressed this somewhere but why, if you're "a Bible thumpin liberal", are you registering Republican and supporting Lankford?

I'm actually registering Democrat, but I know Lankford personally from his days at Falls Creek.  He is one of the few Republicans I am supporting this November.  Plus, as Dixiecrat mentioned he is a social conservative like I am.  I lean Democrat on fiscal issues, and I am more of a fiscal issues voter.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 04:06:14 PM »

FTFY
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies