Terry Shiavo Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:44:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Terry Shiavo Poll
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Poll
Question: Should Terry Shiavo be kept alive or let die?
(D) Keep her alive

(D) Let her die

(R) Keep her alive

(R) Let her die

(I/O) Keep her alive

(I/O) Let her die

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 89

Author Topic: Terry Shiavo Poll  (Read 21234 times)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2005, 05:47:31 AM »

Terri Schiavo is not on life support.  She's only on a feeding tube, as I understand it, and I don't consider feeding somebody to be extraordinary means of life support.  We all eat.

If she had a living will that said she didn't want a feeding tube, then it would be different.  But she doesn't.

If she were in a position to request that the feeding tube be removed, then it would be a different situation.  But she isn't.

I don't think any of us has the right to take it upon ourselves to take proactive measure to kill her, and removing the feeding tube is tantamount to that.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2005, 05:55:09 AM »
« Edited: March 19, 2005, 06:04:45 AM by dazzleman »

Well, the religious right viciously attacked Kevorkian too. I agree that letting her starve to death is a little inhumane -- although she probably won't feel it. But the radical right feels that it's a more natural process then simply injecting her with something and letting her go quietly.

So you'd just flat-out kill her, without even the pretense of calling the feeding tube extraordinary life support?

Unfortunately, our propensity to take life and death decisions into our own hands greatly exceeds our wisdom on how to handle these matters.

I also find it funny that people who are willing to flat-out kill Terry Schiavo would fight tooth and nail to prevent vicious murderers from receiving the death penalty.  Very strange political philosophy, this thing we call "liberalism."

I think you totally misunderstood me, as usual.

Either way, I am pro-death penalty.

Ooops, guess your endless liberal stereotyping doesn't always work.

As usual?  In case you haven't noticed, I don't respond to your posts that often, because you seem to know a lot that isn't true, and it isn't worth my energy to argue with a closed mind.

I read your words again, and it still seems to me that you favor administering a lethal injection to Terry Schiavo over taking out her feeding tube.  I don't favor either option.  And your rude response to me didn't explain your position.  You simply used your usual arrogant posturing to say I was wrong, without pointing out exactly where.

As far my death penalty goes, I was making a general comment, not talking about your own politics.  I only know that you hate white southerners.  And it's perfectly acceptable as far as I'm concerned to talk about general liberal positions.  I don't think I have to make sure that every single liberal on God's green earth agrees with this position before I state it. 

The fact is that liberals in general favor killing Terri Schiavo, however you want to phrase it, and liberals in general are likely to oppose doing the same thing to vicious killers.  Your arrogant tone cannot obfuscate this basic fact.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2005, 06:40:11 AM »

I haven't voted but I will say that I would never want to live like that

Dave
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2005, 07:04:18 AM »

I haven't voted but I will say that I would never want to live like that

Dave
Neither would I.  But does that mean we have the right to take active measures to kill her?  There are lots of people living in ways I wouldn't want to live, but I don't favor active measures to kill them.

I think there's a line between withholding extraordinary life support (which I have personally done), which is a passive way of allowing somebody to die without prolonging it more than necessary, and taking active measures to kill somebody.  I think that effectively starving a person to death, who is surviving without any life support other than food, is tantamount to taking active measures to kill her.

I think we have to be very careful about taking life decisions into our own hands.  As I said earlier, I could accept it if she were able to state a preference, but she is not.

She deserves to be made as comfortable as possible, and then let nature take its course.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2005, 07:18:05 AM »

Don't know to be honest. Starving someone to death is immoral though. As is playing politics with it.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2005, 08:27:40 AM »

Just keep it out of congress.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2005, 11:42:00 AM »

Someone should have the guts to just take the husband out of the picture. If he can't make the decision, her parents would be able to.
senatortombstone
Rookie

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2005, 11:45:47 AM »

From what I ahve heard, there is virtually no money left for the husband to enjoy, it was all spent on her care.

I have heard that the husband may havehad something to do with her condition and that is why he so eagerly wants to pull the plug.  I don't see him as the loving type.

This girl definately has some level of choerent thought. HEr responses to various stimuli are proof of that.  There have been people who have
been in her same condition and have come out of it.  There is still hope.

Don't get me wrong at first  I wthought that she should just be put out of her misery and that she was a vegetable.  I realize now that that isn't the case.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2005, 12:08:22 PM »

the thing is, no one likes to see anyone starve.  but no one likes to see Tom Delay lording over every little issue that pops up either.  also, there must be other news out there.  every channel I surfed on last night was playing this thing to the hilt.  My own feeling is that her husband wants out of the spotlight and off the hook, so why not let the bastard have an anullment, and let her parents take care of her?  Also, I haven't voted either.  It's none of my business.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2005, 02:33:29 PM »

the thing is, no one likes to see anyone starve.  but no one likes to see Tom Delay lording over every little issue that pops up either.  also, there must be other news out there.  every channel I surfed on last night was playing this thing to the hilt.  My own feeling is that her husband wants out of the spotlight and off the hook, so why not let the bastard have an anullment, and let her parents take care of her?  Also, I haven't voted either.  It's none of my business.

He's been given many offers to just walk away, ncldgn requests for an annullment/dovirce from the family.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2005, 02:57:47 PM »

Well, the religious right viciously attacked Kevorkian too. I agree that letting her starve to death is a little inhumane -- although she probably won't feel it. But the radical right feels that it's a more natural process then simply injecting her with something and letting her go quietly.

This woman is not brain dead or in a coma.  I'm 100% sure that if you stuck a hot iron against her skin, she would feel and react to pain.  If a dog was starved, it would feel and react to the pain and agony of getting starved.  I can't do this kind of crap to my pets, or any animal or I'd go to jail. Why is it now alright to do this to a human being.

And dazzleman, I agree about extroidinary measures.  Feeding tube is ok, but if they're on a respirator, it's time to give it up and let natural death take its course. 

are using this vegetable

How respectful, you piece of trash.

Umm....her official condition is a "persistent vegetative state"!

The trash in this situation is the radical right who are using Shiavo to advance their political agenda. It was wrong when the left did it with Reeves, and it's wrong here.

I don't care what her condition is. Don't refer to her as 'this vegetable."

"Persistent vegetative state"

Don't use her to advance your political agenda, which is far worse.

So we aren't allowed to use real life examples to support what we believe in theory?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2005, 02:59:10 PM »

Undecided.

Normally I'd say let her die, but theres something really fishy about this one.
DITTO
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2005, 03:03:14 PM »

He's been given many offers to just walk away, ncldgn requests for an annullment/dovirce from the family.

yeah, I think that's what bothers folks.  makes him look like he's in for the money.  I'm suggesting that he may not be eligible for the anullment under normal considerations, and if a judge offered a "special" circumstance anullment, and he took it, it'd settle that question once and for all.

When we were kids we'd all say, Hey man if I ever get so decrepit I can't wipe my own ass I want somebody to pull the plug.  That's a very easy thing to say when you're running in the fields in good health and without a care in the world. 
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2005, 03:49:49 PM »

I just realized how badly I butchered the word "including" in my last post.  Now that was a typo.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2005, 03:51:39 PM »

LOL.  I thought that was some fancy lawyer acronym.  figured I'd think about it for a while.  I'm glad you posted, as I'd have been preoccupied with this all day.  Sad, but true.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2005, 05:47:18 PM »

what a horrible issue for the republicans to play politics with.

i personally dont care one way or the other.  if it were me, id just want to die.

by the way, when did republicans become such big fans of judicial activism? 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2005, 06:43:07 PM »

i personally dont care one way or the other.  if it were me, id just want to die.

So to you a dog deserves a painless death yet a HUMAN BEING should dehydrate to death? Do you see something wrong with this? Or are you just a heartless bastard?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2005, 06:45:04 PM »

So to you a dog deserves a painless death yet a HUMAN BEING should dehydrate to death? Do you see something wrong with this? Or are you just a heartless bastard?

Walter's proved himself to be a heartless bastard recently.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2005, 06:47:55 PM »

Oh and the REPUBLICANS are big fans of judicial activism? As I recall the judge based his whole judgement on HEARSAY. That judge is absolutely useless in my opinion.
MN--Troy
MNTroy
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2005, 07:16:04 PM »

From what I ahve heard, there is virtually no money left for the husband to enjoy, it was all spent on her care.

Actually very little was spent on her care. According to court records, only $50,000 of the $700,000 trust fund has been used for her care. The majority of the trust money has been used to pay Michael's lawyers, over $350,000, to end her life.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2005, 07:22:05 PM »

I believe that the women deserves to live. It is not in the hand of doctors or judges to see who may live and who may die.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2005, 07:18:39 AM »

What does 'deserving' have to do with it?  Plenty of people starve to death in the streets all the time, or die of lack of medical care, and no one worries about what they 'deserve'.

The only reason the Right is interested in this woman is it suits their ratings (FOX) and popularity due to outrage (GOP).  If she didn't have insurance they'd want her disconnected ASAP.
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2005, 09:48:05 AM »

She is going to be Starving to death! She will not go in peace.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2005, 10:05:31 AM »

I believe that the women deserves to live. It is not in the hand of doctors or judges to see who may live and who may die.

It's not an issue of whether she deserves to live.  She is not on life support, and I think it absolutely wrong to take active measures, such as denying food, to kill somebody who is surviving without life support.  So in that sense, she deserves to live, because she has lived without anything more than the rest of us need - food and water.
Cashcow

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2005, 01:30:18 PM »

She is going to be Starving to death! She will not go in peace.

Well, they obviously shouldn't do that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies