Terry Shiavo Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:53:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Terry Shiavo Poll
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Poll
Question: Should Terry Shiavo be kept alive or let die?
(D) Keep her alive

(D) Let her die

(R) Keep her alive

(R) Let her die

(I/O) Keep her alive

(I/O) Let her die

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 89

Author Topic: Terry Shiavo Poll  (Read 21242 times)
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2005, 06:06:42 PM »

She is going to be Starving to death! She will not go in peace.

Well, they obviously shouldn't do that.

Well, Do you know anything about the case? That is what they are doing..
Cashcow

« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2005, 06:08:04 PM »

Yes, I understand the case, and I don't think they should be doing that. There's really no reason to keep her alive, in my opinion, but if she's going to die she should die quickly and peacefully.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2005, 01:23:59 AM »

Keep her alive/D
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2005, 01:26:46 AM »

Same.

No human being is a vegetable!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2005, 01:27:26 AM »

Where in the heck is your version of the Democratic party I can join?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2005, 01:30:02 AM »

Since around 1980 or so my version of the Democratic party hasn't existed.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2005, 01:32:30 AM »

Since around 1980 or so my version of the Democratic party hasn't existed.

Yes, I know I'm just kidding. It's sad really that the hippies took over your party or I could very well have been a Democrat today.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2005, 06:03:37 AM »

If it were me, I would not want to be kept alive in that state.  I do have a living will and I think the phrase, "Terminate with extreme prejudice," is in it.

But this isn't me and I can't determine how accurate the husband's words are.  It's going to be a judgment call.

I yield to the judiciary on this one.  I do feel that this isn't the proper role of Congress.
Tory

« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2005, 11:22:32 AM »

(I) Keep her alive.

Why not let her parents care for her? It doesn't hurt anyone. The only people who need to be "let go" are those advocating her death.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2005, 12:01:29 PM »

This is really a tough call.  I hope we can all agree that if she were conscious that we would follow whatever decision she wanted (whether it was to live or die).

But since she isn't and probably will never be, then who is guardian of a disabled adult?  Who gets the say?  While I believe we should do whatever possible to save a person's life I also believe that a spouse's authority on such matters supercedes the authority of a parent.

Unfortunately we're never going to know what Ms Schiavo wanted.  If her parents have some new evidence then I'm in favor of keeping her alive until such time as said evidence can be reviewed before a court to determine its validity.  But if not then I believe we should let Ms Schiavo go unto the kingdom of God.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2005, 12:05:55 PM »

This is really a tough call.  I hope we can all agree that if she were conscious that we would follow whatever decision she wanted (whether it was to live or die).

But since she isn't and probably will never be, then who is guardian of a disabled adult?  Who gets the say?  While I believe we should do whatever possible to save a person's life I also believe that a spouse's authority on such matters supercedes the authority of a parent.

Unfortunately we're never going to know what Ms Schiavo wanted.  If her parents have some new evidence then I'm in favor of keeping her alive until such time as said evidence can be reviewed before a court to determine its validity.  But if not then I believe we should let Ms Schiavo go unto the kingdom of God.

I am forced to reluctantly agree with Wakie; the spouse's rights (rightly or wrongly) supersede the parent's rights.  It might be reasonable because she chose the spouse and didn't choose her parents.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2005, 01:32:52 PM »

I have to say that this is an interesting discussion. The options are basically LET her live and LET her die. In other words, we are playing god.

As for me, I have no opinion. I simply don't wish to play god.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2005, 04:35:36 PM »

In our society, we get to play God occasionally.  It's generally called "medical advancements."
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2005, 05:49:48 PM »

Alive. Its the husbands' word versus the families, how can we make a judgement on that?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2005, 05:52:25 PM »

The House vote last night was absolutely hilarious.  With Hastert completely ignoring Barney Frank when Frank wanted a aye/nay vote instead of the voice vote.  He got it anyway though.  Steny Hoyer also made an excellent speech, and Tom DeLay got up and spoke for about 15 seconds and all he said was that the bickering in the house had already cost Ms. Schiavo 2 meals that day.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2005, 06:03:10 PM »

Anyone know how Dennis Kucinich voted?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2005, 06:05:56 PM »

Anyone know how Dennis Kucinich voted?

He didn't
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2005, 09:35:46 PM »

The GOP has certainly shown that just like the Democrats, they pay lip service to the concept of Federalism only when it suits them.  The only possible justification for what they've done is to assume that the courts of the State of Florida are incompetent. Given what happened in the 2000 elections, I can understand why the GOP might be tempted to think that about Florida courts, but I can’t agree with that assessment.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2005, 09:36:58 PM »

The GOP has certainly shown that just like the Democrats, they pay lip service to the concept of Federalism only when it suits them.  The only possible justification for what they've done is to assume that the courts of the State of Florida are incompetent. Given what happened in the 2000 elections, I can understand why the GOP might be tempted to think that about Florida courts, but I can’t agree with that assessment.

State's rights is a phony issue. It only seems to exist when it helps conservatives.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2005, 09:37:39 PM »

State's rights is a phony issue. It only seems to exist when it helps conservatives.

Nice work jfraud.  This is truly the Republican belief.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2005, 09:40:13 PM »

Funny how state's rights doesn't apply to California environmental or medical pot laws.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2005, 01:02:36 AM »

Funny how state's rights doesn't apply to California environmental or medical pot laws.

The pot law violated Federal statutes on narcotics!
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2005, 01:05:51 AM »

One point about legal guardians, if (as has been suggested here) there is reason to believe that the husband has financial gain motivating his decision, then his status as guardian can be revoked and the court itself can make the decision on her treatment, or (I think) can appoint the parents as legal guardians.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2005, 01:15:57 AM »

The pot law violated Federal statutes on narcotics!

So a simple federal law is all that it takes to ignore state's rights? I say we pass a simple federal law so that every state has to give their electors to the popular vote winner.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2005, 01:20:59 AM »

Name one violation of states' rights I support.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies