Terry Shiavo Poll (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:01:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Terry Shiavo Poll (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Terry Shiavo be kept alive or let die?
(D) Keep her alive

(D) Let her die

(R) Keep her alive

(R) Let her die

(I/O) Keep her alive

(I/O) Let her die

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 89

Author Topic: Terry Shiavo Poll  (Read 21547 times)
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« on: March 18, 2005, 04:08:24 PM »

The more I hear about this, the more it disturbs me.  One thing that irritates me most is the repeated use of inaccurate terms and euphemisms that the media insists on using.  For example:
Life Support:  Terri is not on life support.  Life support, such as a respirator, functions in place of a damaged autonomic nervous system.  Terri’s ANS works just fine; unlike, for example, Chris Reeve’s.
Right to Die:  The media repeatedly refers to this as a “right to die” case.  This is false.  Right to die concerns the right of a person to end their own life.  Terri’s wishes are not known.  The “right” in this case is therefore the right of others to kill Terri.
Let Her Die:  Starving someone to death is not “letting” them die any more than straggling someone is letting them die.  Many people are unable to feed themselves: infants, many elderly, Chris Reeve, Stephen Hawking, prisoners, intensive care patients, etc.  Withholding food from any one of these people would be murder and would be prosecuted as such.
Keep Her Alive:  How is feeding someone “keeping” them alive?  This makes it sound like something extraordinary must be done to prevent her from dying.

Like Daniel, I am also horrified that the state is going to kill her.  Is the alternative, that her parents continue to care for her, really so awful that the state is compelled to step in?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies