Terry Shiavo Poll (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:24:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Terry Shiavo Poll (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Terry Shiavo be kept alive or let die?
(D) Keep her alive

(D) Let her die

(R) Keep her alive

(R) Let her die

(I/O) Keep her alive

(I/O) Let her die

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 89

Author Topic: Terry Shiavo Poll  (Read 21564 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: March 18, 2005, 07:11:52 PM »

By "Let her die" you mean "Kill her", right?

Not necessarily.  If someone, with no external assistance whatsoever, would die naturally, and is being kept alive solely through external intervention, and if that person has very little chance to ever be able to live without that assistance, it could scarcely be counted as murder to simply not give that intervention.

That said, I hardly think that letting someone starve to death is a humane way to let someone die.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 03:23:51 AM »

I should note that my response to Supersoulty wasn't an indication that I'm in favor of letting Teri (Terri?  Terry?  I've seen three different spellings...) die.

I've always been in favor of allowing euthenasia if the patient directly requests it, and my position does not change in this case.  Since Teri can't request it, I don't believe we should be pulling the proverbial plug.  We can speculate all we want, but in the end we don't know, and if it somehow comes to light that she did not, in fact, want to die, there is no going back if we do make the mistake of having her die.  We should wait until we know for sure.

As an aside, this is also the reason I'm against the death penalty, but that's another story that is probably not appropriate for this debate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies