The Death Penalty and Rehabilitation Proposition
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:34:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Death Penalty and Rehabilitation Proposition
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Death Penalty and Rehabilitation Proposition  (Read 7264 times)
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2005, 01:48:44 PM »

Since I put so much work into this just for it to be rejected in the Southeast, I thought I'd propose it again here in the Midwest.  I know there's a chance it could get rejected again, but hey, at least all that work would be worth two rejections.

The Death Penalty shall from now on be illegal.

§1. Punishment

(a) Death Row & Previous Offenders
All prisoners that have been or would be given a death sentence shall be given life in prison with labor duties instead.

(b) Those Who Carry Out the Death Penalty
Anyone who commands or carries out the death of a prisoner shall be charged with murder and given the same sentence as stated above. This will be in effect only for those who have carried out or command the death penalty after this law comes into effect.

§2. Rehabilitation

(a) Rehabilitation Buildings
Rehabilitation centers shall be built beside every prison in the land in a period of 5-15 years.

(b) Rehabilitating Criminals
All criminals shall participate in rehab programs on a regular basis.

(c) Programs
Any Rehabilitation programs in the system shall be independently-owned and funded. Programs that are accepted into the system will be conducted by the Governor, who shall keep varied programs active at all times.

(d) Release
Any prisoners that have been approved by a Rehabilitation group and are eligible for parole shall be released on the court's consent.

§3. Labor

(a) Kind of Labor
Prisoners shall perform community service and labor such as: road work, construction, or litter clean-up. Prisoners must also produce their own food and clean their own cells, etc., the institution shall only supply basic necessities.

(b) Guard
Sufficient personnel shall be appointed to oversee the work and maintain discipline of the crew.

(c) Innocent Laborers
Anyone given the sentence of labor and found not guilty afterwards shall be duly compensated for their time and labor.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 04:34:10 PM »

Hooray!

X ilikeverin
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 05:26:19 PM »

Glad you like it!
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 08:54:40 AM »

Bump.

Come on everyone, I've only got till April 1st.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 10:01:05 AM »

When the crime of murder is repealed, then I'll think death penalty repeal is a great idea.  Until then, I support it.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 01:24:25 PM »

Although I think it should be used sparingly, I'm not for abolition of the death penalty. My problem with the death penalty is that too often it is used for venegeance, not protection of society. When it comes to doling out law and sentencing, it shouldn't matter how angry or victimized relatives of the victim are. We have "unbiased" juries for a reason. Too often, people use their anger as a reason to execute murderers. Not to minimalize those feelings, but the state should only have the right to execute criminals who pose a greater risk to society, keeping in mind the possibility of escape or murder of other inmates. Much like preemptive self-defense. For example, Timothy McVeigh is the perfect person to receive the death penalty because he showed no remorse and, I believe, would kill again if given the opportunity. The DC sniper should receive the death penalty for the same reason. Scott Peterson, who horrifically killed his wife to get out of a marriage, should remain in prison forever and a day, should definitely never be allowed to marry again, but should not be given the death penalty, as I do not believe that he is truly a threat to society at large.

My distinction is a moral one rather than legal, but that is my position. For that reason, I oppose...oops, I'm not in midwest. Well, here it is anyways.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 01:26:18 PM »

I would be for this if we turned it into an entire Right to Life Amendment. This outlaws abortion, the Death Penalty, and euthenasia.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 01:35:11 PM »

I would be for this if we turned it into an entire Right to Life Amendment. This outlaws abortion, the Death Penalty, and euthenasia.

Yeah, add civilian casualties in "preemptive" wars and I might jump on board too.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 01:36:13 PM »

Yeah, add civilian casualties in "preemptive" wars and I might jump on board too.

Regions can't regulate foreign policy though
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 01:36:40 PM »

This is Midwestern, and until Verin's "Take Over Atlasia" plan falls through, you are saddly not in our great region.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 02:56:45 PM »

When the crime of murder is repealed, then I'll think death penalty repeal is a great idea.  Until then, I support it.

Murder isn't actually an offense in Atlasia...
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2005, 05:53:40 PM »

Murder isn't actually an offense in Atlasia...

It's not?

<begins sharpening knives...> Wink
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2005, 08:44:22 PM »

Verin's "Take Over Atlasia" plan falls through

SSSSSSHHHHHH! Cheesy
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2005, 10:47:08 AM »

Beyond the fact that we inherit all laws as they stood in the US in February 2004, and therefore murder is a crime in Atlasia, I would also like to point out that civil suits for wrongful death (incl. murder) are covered under common law.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2005, 03:30:58 PM »

I was actually going to make a separate Abortion Proposition.  I can also make an Euthanasia Proposition.   But I'd like to keep them separate so I don't isolate the base (Liberals are more likely to vote just to get rid of the DP, instead of Abortion and DP.  Same with Conservatives in reverse.)

So would you sign?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2005, 06:53:58 PM »

I'll sign, as long as the anti-abortion act is introduced.

PBrunsel
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2005, 11:02:14 PM »

As a citizen of the Midwest region, I fully and completely support abolition of the death penalty.

Fritz
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2005, 09:43:34 AM »

I'll sign, as long as the anti-abortion act is introduced.

PBrunsel

I promise, as soon as I get it all cleaned up, I'll introduce it.

A big thanks to Ilikeverin, PBrunsel and Fritz for signing this.  It will be on the ballot in April, if I'm not mistaken.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2005, 09:42:57 PM »

HOORAY!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies