CONFIRMATION HEARING: Torie for Supreme Court Justice (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:05:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  CONFIRMATION HEARING: Torie for Supreme Court Justice (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: CONFIRMATION HEARING: Torie for Supreme Court Justice (Confirmed)  (Read 2927 times)
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2014, 06:31:29 PM »
« edited: January 31, 2014, 05:08:27 PM by VP Matt »

Senators, you have 72 hours to bring any questions forward for the nominee.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 06:33:14 PM »

Do you prefer sting-rays or manta-rays?
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 06:36:23 PM »

The classic question: do you see yourself as more of a strict constructionist or an activist on the bench?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 06:40:15 PM »

Torie, your knowledge of a certain profession is considered to be legendary on this forum. However, in case there are some who are not familiar with the matter, would you please state what in your opinion renders you qualified for the position of Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of Atlasia?

Also, in terms of style, mentality, fairness and such forth, what would you consider to be a model for the perfect Justice?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 07:30:51 PM »

Do you feel your ability to hear Atlasian cases and understand Atlasian law would be negatively impacted by not having been an active member of the community in recent months?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 11:41:32 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2014, 01:15:40 PM by Torie »

Hello all. I am honored to have been nominated by your President for this high ranking position, which requires a lot of trust to be effective. And thank you Mr. President for your vesting of such a high level of confidence in me.

The strict construction versus activist Manichean divide, I find somewhat but not wholly false. It depends on the issue. Sometimes the text is vague, and more policy driven written in broad brush strokes, just inviting current sensibilities to come in play, sometimes the text is that way by design (the "cruel and unusual" standard used in the other place I believe is intended to reflect modern sensibilities as to what is cruel and unusual, and that most probably was the original intent, so one on that one could be characterized as at once activist and strict constructionist), and other times it is all about text. My personal views on policy should not have much impact, except to the extent it is focused on what might work, and what might not, from the standpoint of legal mechanics.

My relative lack of knowledge about Atlasia law and lore is a disadvantage. But I am not afraid to ask a lot of questions, and as to the litigation process, I plan to invite "oral" argument where there can be a back and forth exchange. I would make the process more formal and procedurally driven, with a predictable process, and time lines and deadlines. I would also invite and encourage amicus briefs. In reality, this position, sort of combines trial and appellate court responsibilities, so the procedures used need to take cognizance of that.

The model justice works hard, both at understanding the law, and the facts in play, and how the law as a whole will function given evolving precedents, and has a calm and dispassionate temperament, to wit a judicial temperament. Over time, I think I have moved in the right direction vis a vis bringing those qualities to bear in jurisprudential tasks.  

Thank you for taking the time to pose questions to me. I look forward to more, and hey, maybe the content of the questions, and the back and forth, might influence how I would proceed if so honored to be confirmed by you.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 12:47:30 AM »

In your opinion, if a precedent expected to be applied in a present case, is itself out of line with the Constitution and/or prior precedent to it, would it be "activist" to overturn said flawed precedent?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 01:52:10 AM »

How would you have ruled in the case Atlasia v Xahar?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 03:42:45 AM »

I am very pleased with this nominee's qualifications and look forwarding to voting to confirm him.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 12:55:48 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2014, 01:14:53 PM by Torie »

In your opinion, if a precedent expected to be applied in a present case, is itself out of line with the Constitution and/or prior precedent to it, would it be "activist" to overturn said flawed precedent?

Precedent is stronger for non Constitutional issues, inasmuch as no supra majority is required to reverse a judicial statutory precedent deemed to be erroneous. Precedent is more likely to buttress previous errant decisions to the point where they will stand, where reversing course would cause substantial disruption in either the political or economic sphere, e.g, due to the public square having come to rely on the precedent. And of course, precedent is weakest where the errant holding shocks the conscience, as for example the embracing in the other place in the 19th century of the separate but equal doctrine.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 01:11:14 PM »

How would you have ruled in the case Atlasia v Xahar?

I concur with the decision of the Court. One claim became moot when Xahar resigned, and the closing off of the vote in short order without notice raises due process issues and an issue of reasonableness, and while courts give deference to other branches when it comes to exercising discretion, that deference is not unlimited. Although not raised in argument, there may also have been quorum issues since only two of the local council voted.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 01:13:17 PM »

I am very pleased with this nominee's qualifications and look forwarding to voting to confirm him.

Thank you Senator. I appreciate your reposing such confidence in me, and hopefully if confirmed, such confidence will prove to have been justified.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 05:06:34 AM »

Time has expired and the VP may open a vote on comfirmation.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 05:29:21 AM »

I fear I am not entirely convinced that the candidate, after a long break from Atlasia, has enough knowledge of Atlasian law to do the job. It certainly seems like he's a real life lawyer, though Tongue
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 10:32:31 AM »

Just fyi, the Department of Justice enthusiastically endorses this nominee.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 10:43:07 AM »
« Edited: January 24, 2014, 12:27:34 PM by Senator X »

I fear I am not entirely convinced that the candidate, after a long break from Atlasia, has enough knowledge of Atlasian law to do the job. It certainly seems like he's a real life lawyer, though Tongue

I agree with Senator Tyrion, at this point this is still a major concern for me.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 10:44:48 AM »

Prior to the assassination of Senior Associate Justice opebo, he authored a landmark dissent in which he found that the ideologues ruling the Court at the time were entirely out of their bounds on the basis of which they struck down a law related to the treatment of minorities.  These same ideologues went on to severely narrow the scope within which cases could be accepted by the Supreme Court on the basis of unconstitutionally created guidelines relating to a fictional 'standing', later rescinded by a new bench.  Would you revisit the opinions of your predecessor, and if so, why?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 02:10:55 PM »

That's because he is a real life lawyer and has been for a very long time. Wink
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 03:21:01 PM »

That's because he is a real life lawyer and has been for a very long time. Wink

No, I know. His speaking style certainly betrays his profession, is what I meant Tongue
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 03:45:08 PM »

How long do you see yourself serving as a judge?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 06:10:46 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2014, 06:13:29 PM by Torie »

Prior to the assassination of Senior Associate Justice opebo, he authored a landmark dissent in which he found that the ideologues ruling the Court at the time were entirely out of their bounds on the basis of which they struck down a law related to the treatment of minorities.  These same ideologues went on to severely narrow the scope within which cases could be accepted by the Supreme Court on the basis of unconstitutionally created guidelines relating to a fictional 'standing', later rescinded by a new bench.  Would you revisit the opinions of your predecessor, and if so, why?

I would have upheld the Constitutionality of the Act as well within the powers of the government to protect the health and safety of minors. If it went beyond minors, then there is a free speech and right of association issue, but for minors, those rights are more truncated, and legislation circumscribing such rights on health and safety grounds I believe to be Constitutional when balancing off the two and sometimes competing considerations.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 06:12:12 PM »

How long do you see yourself serving as a judge?

Indefinitely, and for so long as I believe that I am discharging my duties at the standard that I demand of myself, but probably not as long as opebo.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 01:09:02 PM »

Alright sorry folks, a vote on the nominee is now open. Please vote: AYE, NAY, or Abstain.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 01:17:38 PM »

AYE

Even if he may not be as up to date right now on some aspects of Atlasian law, I believe he is very capable, in dialogue with the other justices, of finding the information he needs to make an informed and thoughtful decision, and I look forward to Torie's contribution to the Court of Atlasia.   
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 01:38:42 PM »

Unfortunately, I have no choice but to (very reluctantly) vote NAY.  Given that this is an indefinite appointment, I'd need to be more convinced that Torie was fully up to date on Atlasian law before I could support his nomination to the Supreme Court Sad
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies