CONFIRMATION HEARING: Torie for Supreme Court Justice (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:40:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  CONFIRMATION HEARING: Torie for Supreme Court Justice (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: CONFIRMATION HEARING: Torie for Supreme Court Justice (Confirmed)  (Read 2925 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 04:40:51 PM »

Aye

Torie isn't as up-to-date on current law as I would like, but I have no doubt that he would be able to quickly catch up to speed. Considering how quickly that could occur, I think it would be an absolute shame if this body rejected this nominee, as he is leaps and bounds the most qualified and capable person for the position.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2014, 04:43:02 PM »

Nay

While I do respect Torie's abilities, I have to agree with Senator X and disagree with tmth. "Qualifications" include a deep knowledge of the law.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2014, 08:12:24 PM »

NAY

If this were a real-life judicial posting, I don't think anyone has a doubt that Torie would be the best person for the position, but this is an internet game. I echo the concerns by Tyrion and X that he may not be up-to-date enough on Atlasian law to serve as a Justice at the present time.

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2014, 09:59:07 PM »

NAY
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2014, 10:25:11 PM »

AYE
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 12:00:54 AM »

I really think Torie is the right person for this job. It is debatable whether he is not up to date with current Atlasian laws, but even if he wasn't, he would be able to catch up better than almost anyone here. Duke made an excellent choice by picking him and I hope the senate supports his decision. I don't see anyone else who could do a better job.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2014, 11:49:26 AM »

This reminds me of the Griffin for GM nomination back in February 2013. Griffin was clearly the right man for the job - he had all the qualifications necessary, yet there were some unquantified concerns from many people about his ability to actually do the job. After Marokai and I rammed him through the Senate a second time, we all saw how silly we had been, as he did a marvelous job.

I nominated Torie because he has more qualifications than any of us can dream of having and has practiced law for longer than most of us have been alive. While perhaps he is not a legal expert in Atlasia, I have no doubt he has the ability to absorb it. He wouldn't have asked for the job if he didn't intend to give it his all. If he can handle the University of Michigan and Chicago, this will be a cake walk.

If the Senate rejects him, I will be sad just as I was sad to see Griffin get rejected because of some fear that he would be a big, bad Liebor overlord. 
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2014, 11:56:59 AM »

This reminds me of the Griffin for GM nomination back in February 2013. Griffin was clearly the right man for the job - he had all the qualifications necessary, yet there were some unquantified concerns from many people about his ability to actually do the job. After Marokai and I rammed him through the Senate a second time, we all saw how silly we had been, as he did a marvelous job.

I'm clearly staying out of this nomination debate for obvious reasons, but the concern among Senators (mostly TPP Senators, as I recall), was that Adam would continue his work and operations on behalf of Labor while GM. Which he... did. That's not to say he was a bad GM by any means - he wasn't - but the conflict of interest problem was clear. I'd vote the same way again.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2014, 12:03:18 PM »

I'm clearly staying out of this nomination debate for obvious reasons, but the concern among Senators (mostly TPP Senators, as I recall), was that Adam would continue his work and operations on behalf of Labor while GM. Which he... did. That's not to say he was a bad GM by any means - he wasn't - but the conflict of interest problem was clear. I'd vote the same way again.

I know. I remember that period quite well. Tongue

I guess my main point is, Torie is extremely well qualified to take on this job, and I would hate to see him voted down because he isn't an Atlasian legal expert - very few are before they join the Court. I think these concerns, like the concerns that Adam's Labor ties would inhibit his job performance, are being overblown.

But you know I always backed Adam for GM. At that time, I was unable to bring TPP caucus to support Adam the first go around, just as Nix hasn't been able to get the Labor caucus to back Torie.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Just look at the parallels! Wink
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2014, 05:19:47 PM »

Prior to the assassination of Senior Associate Justice opebo, he authored a landmark dissent in which he found that the ideologues ruling the Court at the time were entirely out of their bounds on the basis of which they struck down a law related to the treatment of minorities.  These same ideologues went on to severely narrow the scope within which cases could be accepted by the Supreme Court on the basis of unconstitutionally created guidelines relating to a fictional 'standing', later rescinded by a new bench.  Would you revisit the opinions of your predecessor, and if so, why?

I would have upheld the Constitutionality of the Act as well within the powers of the government to protect the health and safety of minors. If it went beyond minors, then there is a free speech and right of association issue, but for minors, those rights are more truncated, and legislation circumscribing such rights on health and safety grounds I believe to be Constitutional when balancing off the two and sometimes competing considerations.

Its a free speech and freedom of association issue regardless. Minors should have equal say in the matter being discussed.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2014, 05:56:03 PM »

Aye

I've been swinging both ways with this vote, and I really do sympathize with my fellow laborites that Torie doesn't have the experience of atlasian law necessary. Nevertheless, I'm a strong believer that in most cases the presidents appointment should be respected, and I trust Nix and Duke's judgement.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2014, 06:28:03 PM »

Averroes shared the same concerns. How would you have voted on his confirmation as Labor GM had you been a Senator at the time?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2014, 11:55:17 PM »

lol AG

I'll change my vote to Aye, but I am still a little wary.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2014, 05:40:42 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2014, 07:13:33 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

AYE

Still it is one thing to concern that a Party chair would be partisan in an desired to be non-partisan office (remember I did vote for AG back then before anyone bitches), still another to think that a well trained professional at reading law, would have trouble ah reading the law. Tongue

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Vote on Confirmation of Torie:

Aye (6): bore, Goldwater, NC Yankee, shua, Tmthforu94 and TyriontheImperialist
Nay (3): Mr. X, Talleyrand and TNF
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (0):
Vacant Seats (1): Spiral

A majority has voted in favor and Senators who have voted are prohibited from changing their votes. The Vice President shall thus declare the nominee as having been confirmed.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 02:38:55 AM »

You have Tyrion on there twice but missed TNF.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2014, 07:57:21 PM »

Thank you for the vote, and confirmation, Senators. For those who disapproved, hopefully I will prove able to mitigate the concerns which you expressed through diligent study. Heck, I did read the Atlasian Constitution in its entirety in connection with the Nix chapter of this matter, and found it well, to be interesting, not to mention sometimes challenging.

I assume someone will direct me what to do next, and that there is some interim step prior to my taking the oath of office.

Thanks again.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2014, 05:08:12 PM »

By a vote of 6-3, the nominee has been confirmed! Congrats! Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »