Midwest Constitutional Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:06:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Midwest Constitutional Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Midwest Constitutional Amendment  (Read 1680 times)
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2005, 09:26:19 PM »

All my info comes from the amended Constitution, which can be found here

Section II: Election Procedures, Article I (?), Clause IV will be amended to read:
‘The election will be held by instant runoff voting (IRV).  You must preference all candidates.  If this provision is violated, the ballot will be placed aside in case of a tie.’

Section II: Election Procedures, Article I (?), Clause VI will be amended to read:
‘If the final preference count is tied, then the provisional ballots in violation of Section II: Election Procedures, Article I, Clause IV will be counted as normal ballots.  If that is tied, then the winner is determined by the candidate who received the most first preferential votes. If that also results in a tie, then the winner is determined by a runoff between the top two candidates to be held one week later. In the event of a third tie, the candidates will divide the term in half, serving two (2) months each, with the incumbent Governor appointing each candidate to the specific term under which he will serve.’

All of the context under and including ‘Section II: Election Procedure’ and before ‘Article II: The Powers of the Governor’ shall be placed below all of the context under ‘Article II: The Powers of the Governor’ and before the context of ‘Section II: Propositions.’

Section III, Clause II, will be amended to read:
‘A petition must have three (3) or more signatures, with the exception of the author, to be placed on the ballot.’

‘Section II:  Propositions’ shall be renamed ‘Section III: Propositions’
‘Section III: Petitions’ shall be renamed ‘Section IV: Petitions’
‘Section IV: The Passing of the Constitution’ shall be renamed ‘Section V: The Passing of the Constitution’

‘Article I’ shall be renamed ‘Article I: Gubernatorial Elections’

Any questions?  I’ll post an example of the amended Constitution, if you like.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 09:30:07 PM »

Really the whole Midwest Constitution needs to go back to Convention so that one fluid document is produced.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 03:45:52 PM »

Really the whole Midwest Constitution needs to go back to Convention so that one fluid document is produced.

I know our Constitution isn't perfect, but it's kinda fun (like a car that needs to be fixed.)

In other news: It's really hard to get signatures for your propositions in the least populated region, maybe that's why no one ever proposed them before!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 08:07:40 PM »

What changed in S2A1C4?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 11:06:20 PM »

This is too much work for a voter to decipher.  What is being amended vs. what is being replaced.  Can you spell it out please?
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 10:12:34 AM »

Here's what the Constitution will look like if this passes (Amendments are in bold type, Article II and Section II are in red to show that they are switching places):

The Official Constitution of the Midwest Region, Written by Paul Brunsel

Preamble:

We the people of the Midwestern Region, in order to form a more perfect region, establish justice to ensure regional tranquility. Provide for the common good and promote the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity to ordain and establish this constitution of the Midwestern Region.

Section I: The Governorship

Article I: Gubernatorial Elections

I: Elections will be held in the months of April, August, and December.

II: Gubernatorial elections will be held on the second to last Friday of the month, with the exception of December, where the election will be held on the second Friday of that month, and last until the following Sunday.

III: If there is a vacancy in the governor's position there will be a special election held.

Article II: The Powers of the Governor

I: The administrative authority of the Midwestern Region will hereby be administered by the Governor of the Midwestern Region.

II: The governor is allowed to appoint a Lieutenant Governor if it is wished by the governor to have that specific post.

III: The Governor may propose any proposition that does not contradict the Regional (unless it is an amendment) or Federal Constitution and shall be voted on by the people in the closest election following the proposal.

IV: The governor is given the power to veto any Proposition that does not have 60% of the vote from the people of the Midwestern Region.

Section II: Election Procedure

I: The election will be administered by the federal Secretary of Forum Affairs, or the Chief Justice of the federal Supreme Court, according to the wishes of the Governor.  If the Governor does not choose, the election will be held by the federal Secretary of Forum Affairs.

II: The filing deadline to be placed on the ballot for the office of Governor will be 24 hours before the election is to begin.

III: Polls will open Friday morning at 12:00am midnight, Central Time, and close at 12:00am midnight on Monday morning, Central Time.  The elections will be administered by the rules set forth in Section I, Article II, Clause IV.

IV: The election will be held by instant runoff voting (IRV).  You must preference all candidates.  If this provision is violated, the ballot will be placed aside in case of a tie.

V: The governor-elect will be sworn in the following Thursday of their election by the Chief Justice of the federal Supreme Court. If the Justice of the federal Supreme Court is not present or has been elected Governor, the Governor-elect is given the permission to swear themselves in.

VI: If the final preference count is tied, then the provisional ballots in violation of Section II: Election Procedures, Article I, Clause IV will be counted as normal ballots.  If that is tied, then the winner is determined by the candidate who received the most first preferential votes. If that also results in a tie, then the winner is determined by a runoff between the top two candidates to be held one week later. In the event of a third tie, the candidates will divide the term in half, serving two (2) months each, with the incumbent Governor appointing each candidate to the specific term under which he will serve.
[/b][/red]

Section III: Propositions

I: Propositions shall be law, regulations, and or state constitutional amendments voted on by the people of the Midwest Region during General and Mid-Term elections

II: Propositions may be submitted by the governor or by citizens of the Midwestern region via petition.

III: For a proposition to be passed and brought before the governor, it must receive more than 50% of the vote by those who show up to vote.

Section IV: Petitions

I: A petition must be in the form of a thread to be recognized by the governor.

II: A petition must have three (3) or more signatures, with the exception of the author, to be placed on the ballot.

III: The 3 or more signatures must come within the first two weeks of a petition existence for it to be put on the ballot.

Section V: The Passing of the Constitution

I: The citizens of the Midwestern Region shall follow the rules and regulations put forth by this Constitution once it is passed.

II: The Constitution must be signed by 5 citizens of the Midwest for it to be ratified.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 06:10:36 PM »

This is not really changed from my Constitution, so I feel it is a fine change to my rough document.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 06:20:03 PM »

This is not really changed from my Constitution, so I feel it is a fine change to my rough document.

So will you sign it?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 06:21:09 PM »

PBrunsel
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 07:32:04 PM »

DanielX
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005, 09:01:50 PM »

Thank You, PBrunsel and DanielX for signing this.  One more signature to get on the ballot!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 09:04:05 PM »

Why not?

ilikeverin
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22