1868 U.S. Presidential Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:11:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1868 U.S. Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What'll it be?
President Abraham Lincoln (Whig-Illinois)/Vice President Horatio Seymour (Whig-New York)

Senator Thomas F. Bayard (Union-Delaware)/Senator Zachariah Chandler (Union-Michigan)

Fmr. Governor Brigham Young (Radical-Iowa)/Activist Horace Greeley (Radical-New York)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: 1868 U.S. Presidential Election  (Read 2722 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »
« edited: January 23, 2014, 07:27:10 PM by dallasfan65 »

President Abraham Lincoln would be easily renominated at the Whig Convention in Richmond, Virginia. For all the fire that his internal improvements had taken from his critics within the Whig Party, he won heftily on the first round of balloting. "I am glad to see that my fellow Whigs have said yes to four more years! Yes to Manifest Destiny, yes to a railroad from sea to shining sea!" There was an effort by disgruntled delegates, mainly those hailing from the "Old Guard" to nominate George Pendleton, but that was resoundingly defeated, along with a quixotic bid by William Walker. In addition, some delegates moved to capitalize on the divide within the Radicals by nominating outsider Horace Greeley, but this did not take. Vice President Seymour was nominated almost unanimously.

The Union Convention was more contentious. President Hale's landslide defeat and the fracturing with the Radicals had left the party in the political wilderness, some curious as to its long term viability. Governor Ulysses Grant, the party's erstwhile Vice Presidential nominee, was seen as the favorite going into the convention. However, dogged by his support of a military presence in the South and his questionable ethics as Governor of Florida. Thomas F. Bayard was seen as an alternative. A supporter of the gold standard, he was in agreement with the party's position of further reducing the military presence in the post-War South. His support of civil service reform made some establishment Unionists wary, but after winning a plurality at the convention, he selected Zachariah Chandler as a means of balancing the party, while also attempting to reach out to Radicals.

Lastly, there was the Radical Convention. Formerly the Manifesters, the party was rebranded with the political marriage of Mormon activists and what some would call "Radical Unionists," forming the Radicals. Senator Charles Sumner, though losing, had drawn as many votes as the once formidable Union Party. He sought the party's nomination once more, but was defeated by former nominee Brigham Young in an upset. Some suspect that the anti-Mormon crackdowns of Whig Governors in the West had whet Mormons' desire for equal treatment, causing them to spurn the Massachusetts Senator out of distrust. As a means of compromising with these new elements, Brigham Young selected Activist Horace Greeley as his running mate.

Three days.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 07:27:47 PM »

Bayard
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 07:32:29 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 07:36:22 PM »

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 07:45:22 PM »

Young (might want to choose the color green next time, yellow is difficult to read), because I am a shameless Manifester/Radical loyalist.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 08:28:49 PM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 08:59:01 PM »

Young
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 09:15:27 PM »

Lincoln

And it's nice to know the Party of Adams has now nominated someone who IRL opposed the Civil War much of Reconstruction, including the Civil Rights Acts.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 10:17:39 PM »

Lincoln

And it's nice to know the Party of Adams has now nominated someone who IRL opposed the Civil War much of Reconstruction, including the Civil Rights Acts.

It was long in the blueprints, and Dallas happened to agree, that the real life "Bourbon Democrats" would be a presence among the Unionists. The earliest signs of this can be seen with the presidency of Van Buren himself and the presence of what we might like to term "classical liberals" in the party since its foundation.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 11:20:45 PM »

Young (might want to choose the color green next time, yellow is difficult to read), because I am a shameless Manifester/Radical loyalist.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 11:44:32 PM »

Lincoln

It was long in the blueprints, and Dallas happened to agree, that the real life "Bourbon Democrats" would be a presence among the Unionists. The earliest signs of this can be seen with the presidency of Van Buren himself and the presence of what we might like to term "classical liberals" in the party since its foundation.

True, true, they've always had a naughty streak about them - IIRC the party was founded so that classically liberal Republicans could run for President without being tainted by slavery and things, but then JQA was all like "actually nope I'm the President now". It does seem strange that the relatively right-wing party is winning (against Abraham Lincoln, no less), but there are analogues of that awful, awful period from 1876 to 1884 in the first Atlamerica when we had Tilden and Cleveland - good thing we got over that quickly. It seems that the Populist-era Republicans are that TL's equivalent of the Manifesters in this time period: draining off just enough leftists to maybe ensure a Bad People victory.

I just realized I made a mini-effort post on the second iteration of a fake election series, and completely independently also realized that I should maybe rethink my life choices and rant in a more normal thread, like the Update.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 12:54:13 AM »
« Edited: January 24, 2014, 12:57:55 AM by Flawless Victory »

Lincoln

True, true, they've always had a naughty streak about them - IIRC the party was founded so that classically liberal Republicans could run for President without being tainted by slavery and things, but then JQA was all like "actually nope I'm the President now". It does seem strange that the relatively right-wing party is winning (against Abraham Lincoln, no less), but there are analogues of that awful, awful period from 1876 to 1884 in the first Atlamerica when we had Tilden and Cleveland - good thing we got over that quickly. It seems that the Populist-era Republicans are that TL's equivalent of the Manifesters in this time period: draining off just enough leftists to maybe ensure a Bad People victory.

I just realized I made a mini-effort post on the second iteration of a fake election series, and completely independently also realized that I should maybe rethink my life choices and rant in a more normal thread, like the Update.

Well I for one would've liked for there to have been a party that was fully supportive of equality and fair treatment and decent wages and jobs for poor ethnic union members while opposed to the evil institution of slavery too Alfred.  GOod thing we had that in real life.

. . . .oh wait.

Just go with it dude.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 12:55:11 AM »

Lincoln

What does "IRL" mean?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 01:00:22 AM »

Lincoln

What does "IRL" mean?

I think it refers to some alternate universe where Lincoln was president during the Civil War.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 01:22:05 AM »

Lincoln

What does "IRL" mean?

I think it refers to some alternate universe where Lincoln was president during the Civil War.

A mere extrapolation on my part - I can't imagine Sen. Bayard supporting the Enforcement Acts what with his position on federal troops in the South. Hell, I don't see how any alternate universe could be so morally wrongheaded as to keep delaying on the issue of slavery for 30 or so more years.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 01:39:40 AM »

Lincoln

What does "IRL" mean?

A mere extrapolation on my part - I can't imagine Sen. Bayard supporting the Enforcement Acts what with his position on federal troops in the South. Hell, I don't see how any alternate universe could be so morally wrongheaded as to keep delaying on the issue of slavery for 30 or so more years.

Yet you voted for Lincoln, who signed the "Compromise of 1867" (as mentioned in the Convention thread) which also reduces military spending in the South.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 01:53:50 AM »

Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 02:29:40 AM »

Lincoln.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 03:32:19 AM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 06:09:36 AM »

Lincoln

What does "IRL" mean?

Yet you voted for Lincoln, who signed the "Compromise of 1867" (as mentioned in the Convention thread) which also reduces military spending in the South.

Compromise, my good man, compromise - I doubt Charles Adams particularly wanted to annex the Oregon Territory.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 06:46:39 AM »

Bayard!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 08:08:54 AM »

Lincoln

Do you really think your views are just entitled to victory? I suppose one party rule is the only acceptable path.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 08:32:25 AM »

Lincoln

What does "IRL" mean?

Well let's be fair Alfred.  The original AtlaAmerican had the forum voting for about fifty years of National Republicans and Whigs.  If Cathcon stuck uber religiously to what the parties actually stood for, universal suffrage for poor non-tax paying citizens might've been delayed until 1876.

SO yes, while you can gripe about the bastardization of political coalitions, these guys are actually being really lenient on the political spectrum.  Real life was so much more unpleasant.  These are called "fantasy elections" for a reason.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 09:18:55 AM »

Bayard is the one.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 03:03:59 PM »

Lincoln

Do you really think your views are just entitled to victory? I suppose one party rule is the only acceptable path.

Naturally, Mr. Con. Did you not already know that?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies