NE2: The Works Councils Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:53:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2: The Works Councils Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE2: The Works Councils Act (Failed)  (Read 524 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2014, 08:06:24 PM »
« edited: January 28, 2014, 08:30:18 PM by cinyc »

The Works Councils Act
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Representative Earthling

Debate on this bill will remain open for 72 hours, or until around 8:15PM on Sunday, January 26, unless modified or extended.  The sponsor, Rep. Earthling, is encouraged to speak on behalf of the bill within the next 36 hours.  If he does not, the bill will be tabled and we will move on the next bill, as there is proposed legislation in the queue.

The floor is open for debate.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 08:18:46 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2014, 09:18:27 PM by Rep. Deus »

When it says that work for the Works Council must be compensated, does that mean that the company or the Works Council itself must fund this compensation?

Will the company be required to fund all operations, facilities, and other requests of the Works Council? Is there a limit to what the Works Council can request in terms of funding?

When it says that the Works Council has the right to "appeal decisions made by the Board of Directors to the courts," it is only referring to decisions that under current law are illegal, correct? Would the Works Council be able to appeal a completely legal business decision if that decision was unpopular and, in their view, damaging to the interests of workers?

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 08:33:58 PM »

I feel like the Sponsor is trying to reinvent the wheel here.  What is this "work council"?  It seems to have a very similar purpose as a...union, perhaps?  Why are we imposing strict controls on the workers right to assemble?  The workers right to organize without government restraint, which this unnecessarily imposes.

If the sponsor wishes to give a governing body that represents workers more power (i.e. union), let's focus on that, rather than a bill that is likely to only receive one vote in the affirmative.  
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 09:16:57 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2014, 10:31:00 PM by Lincoln Republican »

I'm sorry, but along with the accurate statements from Representatives Deus and Cincinnatus, it seems to me that this bill, if enacted, would be a burden on companies in the Northeast.

Some companies are struggling to become or remain profitable, and keep their workers employed.  They do not need the added burden of a Works Council complicating their lives with extra costs, time spent meeting instead of working, threats of court action, seeking the advice of experts.

Whose experts?  Who determines if these individuals are experts?  Who pays for these experts?  Why should any company lose this decision making authority in their company?  

I cannot support this bill.

Representative Earthling, I believe you mean well and that your heart is in the right place, but this bill is counter productive in my view.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 11:58:42 PM »

I will react at length when I will have the opportunity to do so. But this is not a union, I don't believe it will add a new burden on the company and council will mostly work during work hours so the members of the council will be paid their normal salary.
Creating a Works Council is meant to bring employees and employers closer to eachother. By giving employees a bigger voice in the company it could actually reduce strikes.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 10:36:58 AM »

I need more time to be able to defend this proposal. I am open for amendments to this bill.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 05:41:30 PM »

I don't see myself supporting this bill in any form. I don't support putting more burdens and bureaucracy on the Northeast's business owners.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 02:13:43 PM »

I need more time to be able to defend this proposal. I am open for amendments to this bill.

How much more time do you need?  Currently, there is only about 6 hours left in the debate period.  You need to make a formal motion to extend debate if you need more than the 6 hours.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 08:15:07 PM »

The debate period is over.  Seeing no proposed amendments or formal motion to extend debate, we will vote on the bill as originally drafted:

The Works Councils Act
You must be logged in to read this quote.

This vote will be open for the earlier of 48 hours or when all Representatives have voted.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »

Nay
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 08:16:08 PM »

Nay
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 09:29:19 PM »

Nay
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 08:14:11 PM »

Aye
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 08:30:04 PM »

By a vote of 1-3 with one absence, the bill fails.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies