What now in Iraq?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:16:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What now in Iraq?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What now in Iraq?  (Read 4666 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2004, 04:08:35 AM »

I say we need to start over with a transfer plan.  The Iraqi constitution is a dud and will never work.  The Governing Council is a bunch of dopes.

We need to pick a guy, just one guy, name him the interim president, and make him the Iraqi face of the occupation.  It worked in Afghanistan with Karzai, it can work in Iraq.  Adnan Pachachi would be a good choice.

Everyone in Iraq is worried about who might win an election.  The Sunnis think the Shi'ites will win and come after them as revenge.  the Shi'ites think the Sunnis will win and come after them like they have been doing for 80 years.  The Kurds figure they can always break away if they really have to, so they tend to be quiet.  Once people see someone in charge, they will realize that the the reality of post-Saddam Iraq does not have to fulfill the negative fantasies.

Get a new constitution, start over, put a definable Iraqi face on this thing.
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 04:51:30 AM »

You may think I'm crazy but Iraq is too divided and it's recent history has been far too ugly for it ever to be a viable entity. I fear the place is going to descend into catastrophic civil war. Either it should be split into separate states (Kurd, Turkish, Sunni & Shi'a) or it should be allowed to return to dictatorship. Democracy simply won't work. Democracies evolve over many years/decades, they simply can't be enforced where there isn't a will.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 07:43:22 AM »

I'm in favour of an Independent Kurdistan.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 08:15:19 AM »

as am I - though Turkey would freak.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 08:18:09 AM »

as am I - though Turkey would freak.

Ataturk's ghost... Sad
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 09:29:37 AM »

I favour an indepedent Kurdistan as well.

JohnDFord,

If you prohibit anti-American parties from running, which seems to be what you're imokying, you'll get a ton of trouble.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 02:24:44 PM »

excellent question.  

option 2 is best.

be ready to underwrite this with blood and money till we're all very old.  English is exactly right.  It is a losing game no matter what.  But, as the tightwad Korean store owner a couple of blocks away always says, "You blake dat ting, you bought dat ting."
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 02:52:15 PM »

Pro-Us Dictator.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 04:01:45 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2004, 04:02:14 PM by Michael Z »

You may think I'm crazy but Iraq is too divided and it's recent history has been far too ugly for it ever to be a viable entity. I fear the place is going to descend into catastrophic civil war. Either it should be split into separate states (Kurd, Turkish, Sunni & Shi'a) or it should be allowed to return to dictatorship. Democracy simply won't work. Democracies evolve over many years/decades, they simply can't be enforced where there isn't a will.

It was clear from the start to everyone but the Bush administration (whose naivety and short-sightedness never ceases to amaze me) that Iraq would be extremely hard to keep together. It was basically created out of nowhere by the British after the fall of the Ottoman Empire for no reason other than it looked nice on the map. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put Kurds, Sunnis and Shi'a into one nation and not expect decades of conflict must have been off their tree.

Anyway, in my view we should work towards transferring UN rule in Iraq, as an interim phase before installing a fully fledged democracy.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 06:20:00 PM »

Alas, there was no nuclear or genocidal option - which I think would really be the most popular one.

I voted for a dictator, because maybe we could get him to kill and torture our enemies there if we're unable to do it.
dunn

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 06:21:31 PM »

you guys are nuke-maniacs - don't you see it can destroy the WORLD
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2004, 06:24:05 PM »

No, I don't see how a few nukes in the Middle East would destroy the world.  But I wouldn't mind fire-bombing.. burning people alive a'la Dresden makes a good impression.
dunn

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2004, 06:26:09 PM »

No, I don't see how a few nukes in the Middle East would destroy the world.  But I wouldn't mind fire-bombing.. burning people alive a'la Dresden makes a good impression.
I sure hope you will not be in charge of that red button
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2004, 07:01:17 PM »

I'll let you know that part of my grandfather's family was wiped out in Dresden.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2004, 05:20:48 PM »

I'll let you know that part of my grandfather's family was wiped out in Dresden.

As were many.. it was contributory to winning the war.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2004, 05:22:15 PM »

Yeah, if Dresden hadn't been wiped out the war could NEVER have been won. Tongue [/end sarcasm]
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2004, 07:11:09 PM »

Perhaps, but this doesn't explain why you would gleefully talk about my ancestors being burned alive.

Besides, it obviously didn't occur to you that maybe you should just apologise for making such an insensitive remark.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2004, 10:46:12 PM »

You libs and all your apologies.  Sheesh.  Give it a rest.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2004, 07:23:24 AM »

Perhaps, but this doesn't explain why you would gleefully talk about my ancestors being burned alive.

Besides, it obviously didn't occur to you that maybe you should just apologise for making such an insensitive remark.

WWII involved a lot more than insensitivity, it involved intelligent use of genocide to win the war.  I'm advocating the same now.  But on a personal level, though I'm glad Dresden was firebombed, I'm sorry to hear your relatives happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Were they participating in Naziism?
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2004, 07:51:56 AM »

WWII involved a lot more than insensitivity, it involved intelligent use of genocide to win the war.  I'm advocating the same now.  But on a personal level, though I'm glad Dresden was firebombed, I'm sorry to hear your relatives happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Thanks, I know you weren't directly trying to offend me or anything.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I've no idea if I'm honest. I guess it could be argued that most people participated simply by doing nothing to stop the evils of Hitler... though I know for a fact that my grandfather was a staunch communist, which probably makes him just as bad in your eyes (lol, just kidding). He didn't have an easy life, at one point he was attacked with crowbars and suffered slight brain damage. But then his beliefs did save his life during Russian imprisonment (he was indeed sent to Russia), so I guess the story has an ironic happy ending of sorts.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2004, 07:08:28 AM »

We've got to stay the course. If we change the  timetable the whole of Iraq will rise up against us.(besides the Kurds)

We also have to watch out for the iminant war with the Shiite's soon.

Back it with military force and the government will stand!
Chiahead

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2004, 04:18:26 PM »

I hope nobody was serious when voting for begging the UN for help...I would rather cover myself in honey and play football with a bees nest!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies