Sherrif Joe - Desecrating the flag has a stiff punishment.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:08:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sherrif Joe - Desecrating the flag has a stiff punishment.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sherrif Joe - Desecrating the flag has a stiff punishment.  (Read 1277 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 24, 2014, 11:41:40 AM »

I swear this guy is attention whoring half of the time

(CNN) -- A diet of bread and water is the punishment for dozens of Arizona inmates who allegedly defaced American flags placed in their jail cells.

The 38 male inmates are part of the Maricopa County jail system, which is under the control of controversial sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 11:49:59 AM »

I had forgotten about him. I suppose that's what he was afraid of...
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 11:51:11 AM »
« Edited: January 24, 2014, 12:03:59 PM by SLValleyMan »

I know they're prisoners, but I can see lawsuits coming out of this. In addition to flag burning, it could be argued that their punishment violates the 8th amendment.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 12:02:31 PM »

I know they're prisoners, but I can see lawsuits coming out of this. In addition to flag burning, it could be argued that they're punishment violates the 8th amendment.

It could be argued? We treat prisoners at Guantanamo better than this, and they do far worse than just burn flags...

The punishment here definitely does not fit the crime.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 12:06:38 PM »

If this...

...can be legal so should whatever those guys were doing.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 12:28:15 PM »

I know they're prisoners, but I can see lawsuits coming out of this. In addition to flag burning, it could be argued that they're punishment violates the 8th amendment.

It could be argued? We treat prisoners at Guantanamo better than this, and they do far worse than just burn flags...

Says who? I don't recall any crimes being proven in court.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 12:33:40 PM »

And your're right that they deserve a trial... but I highly doubt they'd be found not guilty... and you're missing the point. The Prisoners at Guantanamo are purportedly treated worse than this because they are suspected of terrorism, not flag-burning.  Therefore Sherriff Arapaio's punishment does not fit the crime, thus violating the 8th amendment (flag burners aren't necessarily terrorists at all, it's a lesser offense.)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 12:37:08 PM »

And your're right that they deserve a trial... but I highly doubt they'd be found not guilty... and you're missing the point. The Prisoners at Guantanamo are purportedly treated worse than this because they are suspected of terrorism, not flag-burning.  Therefore Sherriff Arapaio's punishment does not fit the crime, thus violating the 8th amendment (flag burners aren't necessarily terrorists at all, it's a lesser offense.)

Oh I get your point, I just take issue with speaking of Guantanamo prisoners as "criminals" or "terrorists" when neither of which has ever been proven.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 01:38:46 PM »

Sheriff Joe desecrates the flag every time he inhales oxygen.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 03:54:13 PM »

He's really mostly cult of personality at this point, and I just don't see how he can be brought under control until his subjects the citizens of Maricopa (I think) vote him out. He'll probably live to be 102 and have to be helped in to his office in the morning, so they'll have to vote him out. And that brings me to Arizona and all this nonsense speculation that it's getting ready to lurch to the left. No it isn't.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 04:18:55 PM »

He's really mostly cult of personality at this point, and I just don't see how he can be brought under control until his subjects the citizens of Maricopa (I think) vote him out. He'll probably live to be 102 and have to be helped in to his office in the morning, so they'll have to vote him out.

Alternatively he might end up going too far and doing something illegal that will send him to jail himself.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 04:19:56 PM »

He's really mostly cult of personality at this point, and I just don't see how he can be brought under control until his subjects the citizens of Maricopa (I think) vote him out. He'll probably live to be 102 and have to be helped in to his office in the morning, so they'll have to vote him out.

Alternatively he might end up going too far and doing something illegal that will send him to jail himself.

Haven't the feds already tried to have him locked up for criminal acts?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 04:24:14 PM »

I don't see how anyone can argue that this is constitutional.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 05:19:57 PM »

Presumably, if the same punishment were handed out for any damage to the cell, then there wouldn't be a free speech case to be made, just a case as to whether the punishment is proportionate to the offense.  Of course, that the damage was to the flag helps to give him the press he craves.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 09:35:47 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2014, 09:50:45 PM by Pac. Speaker DemPGH »

He lost the ethnic profiling case, which he is appealing (will cost at least 22 million) and I guess generally loses these things or is reprimanded, but he just keeps going with his awful routine!

His "spokesperson" says he is "a Korean war vet and a big patriot," so says the article.

He really needs some of his own medicine.

EDIT: I posted the same one Grumps did.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 09:44:13 PM »

This is unconstitutional. Not only is flag burning a ridiculous reason to be put in jail, but it violates the 1st (freedom of speech/expression) and 8th (cruel or unusual punishments) amendments.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 11:05:27 PM »

Sadly the other thing surprising here is that they are in jail cells as opposed to being kept in outside pens facing the elements like Joe likes it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies