When confirmation hearings for cupcake ambassadorship become a rakfish dinner
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:07:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  When confirmation hearings for cupcake ambassadorship become a rakfish dinner
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: When confirmation hearings for cupcake ambassadorship become a rakfish dinner  (Read 2403 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 10:36:36 PM »

If you want to see how much Max Baucus really knows about geography and foreign policy, tell him Obama wants him to be the new Ambassador to Guam and see if he finds anything wrong with that.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 10:38:32 PM »

Well Baucus is a different type of political appointee. Baucus had already announced he was retiring. Obama sending him to China allows the Democratic governor of MT to appoint Baucus' replacement for the Senate (likely the Lt. Gov), in hopes that it will improve the Dem chances of holding the seat.
But why put Baucus in such an important position if he were emptying the seat earlier to hold it? Why not Ambassador to Paraguay or to the Vatican?

Well he was retiring at the end of his term. Obama had to give him a big enough post to lure him away before his term ended, thus allowing the Dem governor to put someone in the seat making that person an incumbent and not just someone trying for the seat. And Baucus was a powerful Senator with big ties to K St. He wouldn't get out of bed for the ambassadorship to Paraguay or something like that.  Also I expect the Chinese are OK with it. Sure it would be great if he spoke Chinese like the last couple of picks but he is very connected and a very senior guy so that counts for something as it shows respect for the role. I expect the Chinese embassy has plenty of Chinese speakers and experts but none with the rolodex of Baucus.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 10:42:52 PM »

Personally, I’d appoint him Ambassador to Canada. I’d imagine he would have some connections being from a border state and all, plus Canada is an important ally while not necessarily being a flashpoint.

Would be a good idea. Can't be worse than the current officeholder since July, literally no one.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 10:52:44 PM »

To my point of picking someone of stature being important to the Chinese...

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/12/18/white-house-to-nominate-baucus-for-ambassador-to-china/
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies