TXCD Memorial Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:50:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  TXCD Memorial Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: TXCD Memorial Thread  (Read 10043 times)
NHLiberal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2014, 09:05:18 PM »

Yeah this doesn't change anything because the fact that Dewhurst didn't lose the Senate primary is balanced out by the fact that Cruz beat an *incumbent* Senator, so the Tea Party vs establishment balance should be exactly in the same place for the LG race headed into 2014. No idea why this would  change anything to do with Abbott and Perry.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #151 on: June 23, 2014, 09:57:23 PM »

Big question is whether Perry retires from the governorship in 2014 and let Abbott have it for himself ?

Why would that change?

Perhaps the fear that he will be primaried a la Ted Cruz in 2012 against KBH.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #152 on: June 24, 2014, 12:30:53 PM »

No one has been punched in the face by now! Guys, don't forget the creaming!
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #153 on: June 25, 2014, 11:18:24 AM »

Maybe Ted Cruz defeating a sitting Senator in the Texas 2012 Republican primary election would make him more of an icon of the Tea-Party movement and possibly lead to the retirements of several more moderate Republican incumbents in 2014 such as Lamar Alexander, Pat Roberts, Lindsey Graham and Thad Cochran.
NHLiberal

« Reply #154 on: June 25, 2014, 11:23:38 AM »

Maybe Ted Cruz defeating a sitting Senator in the Texas 2012 Republican primary election would make him more of an icon of the Tea-Party movement and possibly lead to the retirements of several more moderate Republican incumbents in 2014 such as Lamar Alexander, Pat Roberts, Lindsey Graham and Thad Cochran.

MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #155 on: June 25, 2014, 12:10:59 PM »

The Republicans that I mentioned can be considered moderates when compared to the likes of Ted Cruz, Mike Lee, Jim Inhofe and Jeff Sessions. In addition, they aren't particularly liked that much by the Tea-Party activists and grassroots conservatives.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #156 on: July 10, 2014, 06:30:57 PM »

In a shocking announcement during the 1973 legislative session, California Governor Ronald Reagan (R) announces he'll seek reelection to a 3rd consecutive term in the 1974 elections.

Nixon still resigns due to the Watergate Scandal, but Ford does NOT pardon him (not sure if that would've helped him in 1976 though). The CA Democrats nominate California Secretary of State Jerry Brown (D) as their nominee for the governorship: the Reagan campaign laughingly slams Brown's nomination as nothing more but "riding on his daddy's coattails."

The debates between the two are bitter and uglier: with Brown calling for repeal of Reagan's harsh policies on economics and domestic issues, Reagan playing the "we need to keep experienced hands in keeping the Legislature in control in Sacramento." He also says, "Now is not the time to change coaches in the middle of a football game (when explaining why he's seeking reelection)."

Public opinion polls show the race as a toss-up and both the Republican Governors and Democratic Governors' respective organizations spend millions in this contest, with non-stop TV ads.

Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2014, 08:41:29 PM »

The midterms are in the wake of Watergate and Reagan's approvals were flagging toward the end of his term. Brown probably pulls it out in a squeaker.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2014, 12:09:38 PM »

July 8, 2013-HOLT Cat headquarters: San Antonio, Texas

Texas Governor Rick Perry (R) addressing supporters including family and friends on his political future and among parts of the speech included the following:

"Texas is the new frontier for opportunity and innovation in America today," Perry said as he stood before heavy construction equipment. "Texas is better positioned to take advantage of the opportunities of the 21st Century than any other state."

The governor listed some of his greatest accomplishments as keeping taxes low, limiting lawsuits, restricting abortion and attracting businesses to the state. "I remain excited about the future and the challenges ahead, but now here comes the moment you've all been waiting for an answer on my political future." Perry said, "Today, I am announcing........I will be seeking re-election as governor of Texas in the upcoming 2014 elections because there's so much work to be done."

With Perry's re-election announcement, the crowd cheered loudly and the curtains lowered to say, "PERRY-GOVERNOR 2014: Texas Values, Proven Leadership."

Soon after Perry's announcement of him seeking an unprecedented 4th term, reaction from both sides was swift:

Texas State AG Greg Abbott (R): "While I will always be close friends with Governor Perry, I believe that Texas needs new leadership in the Governor's Mansion and fresh air to getting things done at the State Capitol in Austin. In six days, I'll be announcing my candidacy for the governorship to chart a new course of leadership and stop government from picking winners and losers."

State Senator Wendy Davis (D-Fort Worth): "Are you serious ?.....You would think with low approval ratings and anti-incumbent sentiment growing in the country that the governor would decide to call it a day and retire from politics altogether with some dignity, but with Governor Perry, I'm not surprised that he's decided to seek re-election because he's never had a real damn job in his life. OUCH.

Texas Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst (R): "I'm proud of the work I've done with Governor Perry over the last several years: keeping taxes low, fighting the Federal Government at every turn whether it was over Obamacare, Voter ID, I appreciate Governor Perry's call to continue in serving for four more years."

*Dewhurst also said he's seeking reelection to his current job, despite having three other Republicans (Patrick, Staples and Patterson) running against him.

U.S. Senators Ted Cruz (R-TX) and John Cornyn (R-TX): "We're going to sit this one out and don't want to take sides in which both of us know General Abbott and Governor Perry personally."

UT Tribune Poll has Perry leading 45% to 19% over Abbott.

More to come.

TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2014, 04:36:56 PM »

September 2013: New polling from Texas Tech University shows Perry leading by 20 points over Abbott (49% to 29%), Tom Pauken refused to drop out of the race.

Meanwhile, not wanting to wait for opponents to define him, Perry launches the first negative attack TV Ad on statewide television: questioning Abbott's relentless attacks on fellow paraplegics being denied their basic rights as human beings.

"General Greg Abbott is a hypocrite when it comes to Texans with disabilities: He's calling for the entire state to be exempt from the Americans with Disabilities Act, which outlawed discrimination against people with disabilities."

"Greg Abbott: The biggest flip-flopper you'll ever know: Can you trust him ?"

(Political Adv., paid for by Texans for Rick Perry)

Three weeks later, the Abbott campaign fires back (Voice-over)
"For 24 years in statewide office, Rick Perry has used secrecy, manipulations, back-stabbing and vicious attacks against those, who question his administration's policies. Now he wants to attack Greg Abbott.

Perry's even scared to debate General Abbott because he knows that the truth about his long record in office will be revealed as a big phony scheme. Rick Perry: The biggest hypocrite in Texas politics and king of corruption."

Abbott: I'm Greg Abbott and I approve this message.

(Political Advertising paid for by Texans for Greg Abbott)

TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #160 on: July 20, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »

October 3, 2013: State Senator Wendy Davis (D-Fort Worth) announces her candidacy for the governorship at her old high school campus. She talks about wanting to end the politics of destruction, open up the political process and calls for Open Carry (she flip flopped ).

Two weeks later, the Democratic Governors Association announced they will NOT spend any $$$$ on Texas., angering many TX Democrats. DGA chairman Vermont Governor Pete Shumlin (D) bluntly says "The DGA has other fish to fry in places like Pennsylvania, Maine, Florida, etc.,"

Houston Chronicle poll has head-to-head matchups unveiled on October 18th
Perry (R-inc)-54%
Davis (D)-38%

Abbott (R)-51%
Davis (D)-30%

Republican primary
Perry (R-inc)-48%
Abbott (R)-27%
Pauken (R)-14%

Perry announces that his reelection campaign has been endorsed by half of the Republican members of the Texas Legislature and 74% of the Texas Tea Party.

More developments: Scandals explode in the Texas State Attorney General's office: some of Abbott's senior advisers are accused of wire fraud, obstruction of justice, and bribery. The scandals damage Abbott's campaign, causing his polling numbers to suffer.

Former President George W. Bush calls on Abbott to drop out of the race "for the sake of the people of Texas."

hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #161 on: July 20, 2014, 11:46:04 AM »

Interesting start. I've always found Perry to be an interesting candidate, considering how strong he looks on paper but how he fell flat on the national stage. Looking forward to see where you go with this.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2014, 05:27:21 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2014, 05:39:27 PM by Dallasfan65 »

OK, so while I think TXCD didn't add too much to the dialogue of the board, I figured the most practical thing to do would be to merge these threads since some people might not want their post counts affected.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #163 on: July 22, 2014, 10:37:34 PM »

All the timelines that TX Conservative Dem ever made are so ridiculous and disjointed that they almost belong in the Comedy Goldmine Thread.   
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #164 on: July 22, 2014, 11:13:17 PM »

This thread should be a sticky. Always.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies