Pot Legalization Bill Introduced in NJ State Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:43:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pot Legalization Bill Introduced in NJ State Senate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Pot Legalization Bill Introduced in NJ State Senate  (Read 2145 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 24, 2014, 08:53:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politickernj.com/71074/scutari-introduce-bill-legalize-marijuana-nj
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 08:57:56 PM »

Good.  New Jersey's not very far away.  Cool
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 09:00:02 PM »

Christie will veto it unfortunately.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 10:11:35 PM »

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 10:17:51 PM »

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 10:41:10 PM »

I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 10:45:11 PM »

Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 10:59:13 PM »

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 12:03:56 AM »

I guess you're ok with bringing prohibition back too.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 12:13:32 AM »

On the one hand, Christie could stand to relax, otoh, he doesn't need the munchies or any more paranoia.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 12:19:40 AM »

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 02:08:49 AM »

Could the legislators override his veto?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 02:44:01 AM »

Here in NM, we're doing a constitutional amendment so the Governor has no sign/veto power.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 02:44:07 AM »

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 02:50:13 AM »

Doubt this even makes it to Christie's desk to veto will most likely die in the Senate.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 10:12:55 AM »

The first time Christie will do something intelligent for once. Meanwhile, the NJ Legislature doesn't have time to be working on this bill anyways with the joint investigation going on. Even when it's finished though, they still shouldn't try touching this hurtful bill because they would just be wasting their time.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 10:57:18 AM »

The first time Christie will do something intelligent for once. Meanwhile, the NJ Legislature doesn't have time to be working on this bill anyways with the joint investigation going on. Even when it's finished though, they still shouldn't try touching this hurtful bill because they would just be wasting their time.

I honestly thought liberalism was bad enough, then you took the cool parts, like drugs and libertinism, out of it and it became even worse.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 11:18:53 AM »

I honestly thought liberalism was bad enough, then you took the cool parts, like drugs and libertinism, out of it and it became even worse.

It could be upsetting, then you realize how utterly irrelevant these types have become. 

(Assuming "these types" refers to puritanical liberals) Oh, thank God. I was worried.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 11:28:26 AM »

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 12:45:14 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2014, 12:47:04 PM by Horus »

Please explain how this bill is "hurtful". Authoritarian, puritanical, overly moralistic Democrats like you will be the downfall of the party.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »

Please explain how this bill is "hurtful". Authoritarian, puritanical, overly moralistic Democrats like you will be the downfall of the party.
How about the fact that it causes lung damage, hurts the brain, or can increase the risks of cancer? That's just some of them and there's plenty of other sources who have reported other effects of marijuana. If you don't agree, fine, but eventually, me, windjammer, Miles and other fighters against this drug will be proven right after awhile. It's only been legal for recreational use for a very short time so far in WA and CO, and once actual stories start being reported that marijuana is an addictive drug that's causing car accidents and is endangering public and mental health, I think this pro-marijuana fight will flop.

Also, I'm not actually authoritarian if you look at my PM. Sure, I support big government, but I have some relatively moderate libertarian views pertaining to issues like abortion rights, same-sex marriage and full LGBT rights, the right to life (anti-death penalty), immigration etc.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 01:28:23 PM »

How about the fact that it causes lung damage, hurts the brain, or can increase the risks of cancer? That's just some of them and there's plenty of other sources who have reported other effects of marijuana. If you don't agree, fine, but eventually, me, windjammer, Miles and other fighters against this drug will be proven right after awhile. It's only been legal for recreational use for a very short time so far in WA and CO, and once actual stories start being reported that marijuana is an addictive drug that's causing car accidents and is endangering public and mental health, I think this pro-marijuana fight will flop.

Also, I'm not actually authoritarian if you look at my PM. Sure, I support big government, but I have some relatively moderate libertarian views pertaining to issues like abortion rights, same-sex marriage and full LGBT rights, the right to life (anti-death penalty), immigration etc.
Do you know anything about the 1920's? Remember how well prohibition worked?
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2014, 01:40:02 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2014, 01:42:52 PM by SLValleyMan »

With all due, respect, nearly all of the things that you listed can be avoided if use is moderated, just like alcohol.

Also, in terms of actual harm, studies have shown that marijauna is actually less dangerous than both alcohol and tobacco - both of which are legal and regulated:

I'm also going to say that my primary reason supporting marijuana legalization isn't because I don't think it can be dangerous if used improperly -  Marijuana, like any drug, can have adverse effects if not used responsibly. My main reason for supporting it is that making it illegal has done nothing to stop its use - tons of people still smoke pot today, with many of those people having had to learn not to get caught. And most of those people are otherwise law-abiding citizens who aren't committing violent crimes, aren't are living relatively normal lives, and aren't hurting anyone but themselves by what they're doing.

My point is - if they're not actively disrupting society by what they're doing, then there's no reason to make it a crime.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 01:42:49 PM »

Can we, for starters, finally recognize that social liberalism is not the same as social libertarianism? It gets weird when you have people who despise freedom say theu actually do have "some moderate libertarian" stances.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2014, 02:36:08 PM »

Can we, for starters, finally recognize that social liberalism is not the same as social libertarianism? It gets weird when you have people who despise freedom say theu actually do have "some moderate libertarian" stances.
There is obviously a difference. However, that doesn't mean a leftist can't be a social libertarian.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies