Anyone else a little antsy about the Dem nomination
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:32:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Anyone else a little antsy about the Dem nomination
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone else a little antsy about the Dem nomination  (Read 1873 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2014, 12:19:57 AM »

being decided on a Mindless Rolling Steamer basis? Even after all this time, I'll admit... part of me wishes Hillary would just step aside for someone younger. It doesn't have to be someone antagonistic to her. Her endorsement would carry nearly as much weight as the strength of her potential candidacy. What I hate the most is those people who don't like Hillary solely because she's a Clinton and we've had "two Bushes" already. I really don't think her being married in the past to a former president is relevant whatsoever. I am worried this crap could drag her down in the General, though. People seem to have a resentment about it that they never had for the Kennedy brothers or even Shrub. Sad
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 02:09:32 AM »

I'm just annoyed Biden isn't taken more seriously.

crash1984
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 04:42:00 AM »

There is still about two years before the primary season starts and a lot could happen within that time. Case in point look at Christie. Most people thought he would be one of the big contenders come 2016 but with the recent scandals there is a good chance he will not run. I think most people expected Hillary to win the primaries in 2008 but she did not.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 10:42:18 AM »

I'm looking at this from the point of view of an outsider, but if Hillary essentially has a coronation, the Democrats will avoid a discussion of President Obama policies they're not as sold on.

That's just something I find interesting.
whanztastic
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 10:57:28 AM »

I'm just annoyed Biden isn't taken more seriously.

eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 01:08:58 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2014, 03:56:13 PM by eric82oslo »

I'm just annoyed Biden is still taken so freaking seriously. Even more seriously than Elizabeth Warren, which I'm sure is both a huge shock to me as well as to most other politically active Demcrats. I personally think it's only those who don't follow politics closely who still take Biden seriously, at least more seriously than the big political talent and star which Warren has been for quite a while now.

Biden is a clown btw, and always has been. He's never been a politician in the right sense of the word.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 05:43:44 PM »

I'm just annoyed Biden is still taken so freaking seriously. Even more seriously than Elizabeth Warren, which I'm sure is both a huge shock to me as well as to most other politically active Demcrats. I personally think it's only those who don't follow politics closely who still take Biden seriously, at least more seriously than the big political talent and star which Warren has been for quite a while now.

Biden is a clown btw, and always has been. He's never been a politician in the right sense of the Word.
Warren is not running for president, she has stated so repeatedly.

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 05:00:59 AM »

So you've completely abandoned your Hillary support, Beet?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 01:25:37 PM »

Yeah, I want a brawl in both camps. Something's gonna have to entertain me. And don't hate on Joe Biden, possibly in the top five greatest living Americans as it stands right now.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 07:49:12 AM »

Jonathan Bernstein has a great 3-part series of posts on this general topic of Clinton, her seeming lock on the Democratic nomination, and the effect on the party:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-03/hillary-clinton-is-in-the-driver-s-seat-isn-t-she-.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-03/is-hillary-clinton-s-lead-in-polls-for-real-.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-03/hillary-clinton-and-the-missing-democratic-debate.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He also makes a point I've made here before, which is that it's wrongheaded to think of party nomination battles as purely a contest for voters, as if they're acting as independent agents.  Sure, the voters ultimately have to pull the lever for their chosen candidate in the primary.  But in a primary contest, you usually have a large number of voters whose allegiance to a particular candidate is paper thin.  They're happy to vote for any of several candidates who fall within the party mainstream, and so they're heavily influenced by cues from party elites (which doesn't just mean elected officials, but also journalists, cable news personalities on "their side", etc.), and you can have a big bandwagon effect.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 07:53:40 AM »

That headline is quite ridiculous, because:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=186579.0
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 07:59:15 AM »

She's in the driver's seat, yet she's forgotten how to drive!  If she manages to blow this election, it'll be the perfect metaphor.  Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k445V4XXo3o
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 08:24:19 AM »

*bump*

Column in the Daily Beast about the generation gap among female Clinton supporters, with the younger ones wanting her to run, and the older ones having mixed feelings:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/11/hillary-clinton-supporters-are-divided-over-her-potential-2016-run.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 10:09:12 AM »

If nothing else, a coronation would mean that she wouldn't be forced to develop a strong response to attacks relating to any weaknesses she has as a candidate until the GE which is dangerous.  It really hurt Romney that the donors quickly made Gingerich shut up about Bain and Romney's taxes b/c it allowed Romney to just ignore the issue rather than developing a response to said attacks before Obama inevitably used them in the GE.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 12:31:00 AM »

Biden is a clown btw, and always has been. He's never been a politician in the right sense of the word.

There is a right sense to that word?
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 12:35:59 AM »

If nothing else, a coronation would mean that she wouldn't be forced to develop a strong response to attacks relating to any weaknesses she has as a candidate until the GE which is dangerous.  It really hurt Romney that the donors quickly made Gingerich shut up about Bain and Romney's taxes b/c it allowed Romney to just ignore the issue rather than developing a response to said attacks before Obama inevitably used them in the GE.

True. Another example would be the 2008 primaries, which helped Obama tremendously. Especially the "elitist" controversy, something that he got to address head on rather than just trying to shed that perception, like Kerry's hunting embarrassment.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 12:56:14 AM »

Biden has high name recognition and consistently bad poll numbers in presidential polling, so perception of him is already baked in and not in a good way.  In 2008 he got 1% in the Iowa Caucuses and then dropped out.  There isn't a reason to take him seriously.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 02:09:51 AM »

Id rather have someone else, someone new and more appealing than Clinton. I'm not enamoured with her, but if she is the Democrat with the best chance I will have to hold my nose and support her.

I just really really really wish Warren would consider running.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 08:26:29 AM »

Biden has high name recognition and consistently bad poll numbers in presidential polling, so perception of him is already baked in and not in a good way.  In 2008 he got 1% in the Iowa Caucuses and then dropped out.  There isn't a reason to take him seriously.

Biden's name recognition is a lot lower than Hillary's. And in voter familiarity with Hillary and him, the disparity is even wider. Also, there's a better explanation for his poor polling (both in 2008 and now) than what people think of Biden himself, e.g in 2008, his competition. In 2014, his boss and his balls.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 09:30:14 PM »

Biden's name recognition is a lot lower than Hillary's. And in voter familiarity with Hillary and him, the disparity is even wider. Also, there's a better explanation for his poor polling (both in 2008 and now) than what people think of Biden himself, e.g in 2008, his competition. In 2014, his boss and his balls.

If Biden performed so poorly in the 2008 Iowa Caucuses because of his "competition" then that is essentially an admission he was a weak candidate.  He finished behind Obama, Clinton, John Edwards and Bill Richardson. 

As far as his current numbers, if he was only polling badly vs. Hillary that would be one thing.  But he looks mediocre against a lot of other potential opponents as well and as the sitting Vice President he has much higher name recognition than they do.

The Vice President has admirable qualities but his numbers are what they are.  And that is a huge red flag in terms of him getting the nomination.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies