Can the GOP finally take one of the MA House Seats in November?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:46:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Can the GOP finally take one of the MA House Seats in November?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can the GOP finally take one of the MA House Seats in November?  (Read 676 times)
sg0508
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2014, 05:14:06 PM »

They were actually very close in two of those races in Eastern MA in 2010, but failed and some of those eastern counties came relatively close to voting for Mitt Romney over the President. 

Can the GOP finally reclaim at least one of those seats this November in what as of now, is looking like a decent GOP-leaning year where turnout will be down?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 06:46:05 PM »

If Tierney doesn't clean up his family's mess soon, the Dems could lose his seat.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 07:58:25 PM »

Doubt it. If Tierney couldn't go down in 2012 I don't think the scandal will have enough staying power to kick him out in 2014.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 08:01:06 PM »

Tierney has a pretty strong primary challenger who has out raised him Seth Moulton is an Iraq War vet pretty strong candidate with a nice background who would have no problem holding this seat. I hope Tierney gets taken out in the primary there's no reason the Dems should be wasting money on a D+7 district in Massachusetts no less.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 08:02:30 PM »

Tierney has a pretty strong primary challenger who has out raised him Seth Moulton is an Iraq War vet pretty strong candidate with a nice background who would have no problem holding this seat. I hope Tierney gets taken out in the primary there's no reason the Dems should be wasting money on a D+7 district in Massachusetts no less.

Hopefully. Tierney is dead weight.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 08:38:19 PM »

Seth Moulton would be a great candidate if he were running in SEPA, or somewhere like that. I doubt running to the right of Tierney would work, especially since the "scandal" (which never actually implicated him in any wrongdoing) is old news now.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 09:32:04 PM »

Seth Moulton would be a great candidate if he were running in SEPA, or somewhere like that. I doubt running to the right of Tierney would work, especially since the "scandal" (which never actually implicated him in any wrongdoing) is old news now.

I'm sure Moulton will vote accordingly if he wins but Tierney is damaged goods he needs to go winning by 1% in a D+7 district is not good at all he won't have presidential turnout and Baker will be at the top of the ticket I believe he won the area in 2010. Moulton would have no trouble winning this district over Tisei we wouldn't need to defend this seat every year with Tierney.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 09:58:48 PM »

Scandals have the life-span of one cycle. The GOP had their chance, but Tisei flubbed it.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 01:49:34 AM »

Yes, though not for sure. Obviously - only 6th and with Tisei. He would win in 2010, but Republicans ran an idiot (Bill Hudak) then, who managed to lose heavily. In 2012 he could win, but for a combination of Obama-Warren coattails (not too big in this swingy, though Democratic-leaning, district, but still....), Fishman candidacy, which diverted a few (but, may be, decisive) votes from him and some unenforced errors (overconfidence) at the end of campaign. In 2014 Tierney problems will be less "new" then they were in 2012, but, on the other hand, he will be busy with serious primary challenge until (at least) September, and Democratic base will be less energized then in 2012. We shall see. After all - this is, probably, the most fiscally conservative district in Massachusetts.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 11:42:33 AM »

It's probably best to assume 'no' up until it actually happens.

Scandals have the life-span of one cycle.

Not always the case: sometimes the - or at least some of - electoral damage can be permanent (i.e. if a general miasma of corruption appears to have settled around the congresscritter in question).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 12:00:09 PM »

Tierney is again the underdog (General election only), but his win in 2012 shows great political talent, so he has a fighting chance... (Moulton on the other hand doesn't have a prayer).
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 12:10:43 PM »

Tierney is again the underdog (General election only), but his win in 2012 shows great political talent, so he has a fighting chance... (Moulton on the other hand doesn't have a prayer).

I sincerely think it was Obama-Warren victory more then Tierney's....
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies