Anyone watch MITT on Netflix?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:37:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Anyone watch MITT on Netflix?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Anyone watch MITT on Netflix?  (Read 3313 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2014, 12:13:57 AM »

I was hoping there would be interesting insights into his campaign but it was mostly just fluffy cuddly stuff with his family. Didn't learn anything really. Get a little more insight into the person but it skips over huge events, like the entire 2011/12 primary process.

I give it 2 out of 5

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 12:23:52 AM »

So I take it all the good stuff was wasted on the trailer? Tongue
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 12:24:33 AM »

I saw it and agree that it missed out on a huge chunk of events like the primaries which I'm sure behind the scenes there was a lot of drama. It felt incomplete at times I thought I had missed a part or something.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 12:36:16 AM »

Yeah it wasn't a movie for political junkies, but I liked it. It was enjoyable to see the family during key moments.

I hope there is a documentary for political junkies on 2012, there's obviously soooo much ground to cover
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 12:56:35 AM »

There is actually one interesting dramatic moment showing Mitt and family upset over Charlie Crist endorsing McCain in FL in 2008 (after apparently promising to stay neutral). However, it is a bit overdone as it is presented as if Crist was the reason Romney lost Florida, thus dooming his 2008 campaign.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 01:00:55 AM »

From what I've been hearing, the political strategists on Mitt's campaigns hated the documentarians, so they didn't let them near anything remotely political or controversial.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 01:09:11 AM »

I saw it. They were right when they said Romney was a lot nicer and less stiff in private than how he was portrayed and acted on the trail. I actually kinda liked Mitt after finishing watching the documentary. I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't more political.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 01:31:26 AM »

I saw it. They were right when they said Romney was a lot nicer and less stiff in private than how he was portrayed and acted on the trail. I actually kinda liked Mitt after finishing watching the documentary. I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't more political.
I understand where people get the idea that Mitt is an elitist purely based on his background, but he always came across as friendly on the trail and in debates - he never appeared angry or crass.

I actually haven't watched it yet - I will at some point next week. I've heard good things though - if only Mitt had came out of his shell more BEFORE the election and he might have been able to win. Say what you want about his politics and my bias, but I think he's just a good, solid guy.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 02:17:37 AM »

There is actually one interesting dramatic moment showing Mitt and family upset over Charlie Crist endorsing McCain in FL in 2008 (after apparently promising to stay neutral). However, it is a bit overdone as it is presented as if Crist was the reason Romney lost Florida, thus dooming his 2008 campaign.

Romney was starting to pull into the lead in the Florida polls just when Crist made his endorsement.  The endorsement did give the momentum back to McCain.  And based on the reporting at the time, it sounded like the various GOP county chairs started putting their local machines to work for McCain once word came down that Crist was endorsing him.

Now, granted, McCain did win by, what?  5 points?  The endorsement probably wasn't worth quite that much, but I can forgive the Romneys for feeling like it was Crist's fault that they lost.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 02:39:23 AM »

Yea, Romney was closing the gap in Florida. A combination of McCain falsely claiming that Romney had supported a timetable for withdrawl from Iraq and Crist's endorsement denied him the state.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 03:04:11 AM »

All politicians are ruthless about controlling their image. Obviously Romney didn't allow Whiteley to see/film "the whole story" - no politician would. But it also wasn't a fluff film depicting a perfect Potemkin version of Romney and his family.

Mitt Romney was probably one of the most misunderstood presidential candidates from a personal and character standpoint. I didn't vote for him and disagreed with significant portions of his platform, but I've never thought he was an inherently "bad" person. He's an intelligent, hardworking person and it's unfortunate that there isn't a way for those qualities to be used to benefit the country in a positive way.

As for the 47 Percent comment, which the film touched on, I read Double Down and the section where the context of those remarks were explained and to be fair to Mitt, I'm honestly not sure how anyone would have handled that situation off the cuff. You can't just rebuff a person who paid a large sum of money to your campaign to be sitting there asking you questions. Alas, in politics, if you have to explain the context of something you said, you shouldn't even bother because you've already lost control of your message.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 03:19:16 AM »

Yeah, and it pretty much confirmed that Mitt was weird expedient bore and the attacks against him were not misleading in the slightest.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 03:25:47 AM »
« Edited: January 27, 2014, 03:29:17 AM by Likely Voter »

Looking closer at the poll history at RCP, Romney had closed the gap (but flattened out) in the polls a few days before the Crist endorsement, and for the last week McCain maintained a small (<1) lead in the avg. The polls taken the days before were about the same as the ones taken the days after endorsement. Also 2 years later Crist was trailing so far behind for the GOP Senate race that he dropped out and ran as an independent, so it isn't clear that he had much pull with Republican primary voters. But the way it looks in MITT doc Crist stabs Romney in the back and his 2008 campaign ends. Blaming Crist (and Martinez who also endorsed McCain) for the loss of FL in 2008 is like blaming Christie for Romney's 2012 gen election loss.

So again my point is that this is an interesting home movie and gives you insight into Mitt Romney the man, but it is no "The War Room" type of political documentary.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 03:50:20 AM »

I watched it.

I think one thing it shows is that Romney never had the fire-in-the-belly to run, and never seemed confident.

We all know that good looking person who says, "I'm not good looking, you're just saying that" and we tell them "You need to have self-esteem".....I kept thinking of that with how Romney carried himself. No confidence.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 01:00:54 AM »

Weak reviews mean I'm going to pass on it.

Surprised it was even made though. If you ranked all losing presidential candidates from most interesting to least interesting, Mitt Romney would rank pretty far to the latter part of that spectrum.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 02:54:53 AM »

I watched it.

I think one thing it shows is that Romney never had the fire-in-the-belly to run, and never seemed confident.

We all know that good looking person who says, "I'm not good looking, you're just saying that" and we tell them "You need to have self-esteem".....I kept thinking of that with how Romney carried himself. No confidence.

I disagree. He thought he was going to win. He creamed Obama in the first debate. He knew he'd be better for the country than the current president. What you saw was a humble realist. I mean, of course people on this forum would not appreciate this documenary; it wasn't meant for them. Straight up, MITT depicts a candidate who was unfairly brutalized by a president who couldn't stand on his record. The liberal Atlas Forum isn't going to appreciate that or see the election that way.

What's interesting though is that the American people, in general, now seem more receptive to that narrative. As a result, Romney has been able to do a lot for his image over the last few months. So much so that I don't think we've seen the last of him.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 03:32:38 AM »

I watched it.

I disagree. He thought he was going to win. He creamed Obama in the first debate. He knew he'd be better for the country than the current president. What you saw was a humble realist. I mean, of course people on this forum would not appreciate this documenary; it wasn't meant for them. Straight up, MITT depicts a candidate who was unfairly brutalized by a president who couldn't stand on his record. The liberal Atlas Forum isn't going to appreciate that or see the election that way.

What's interesting though is that the American people, in general, now seem more receptive to that narrative. As a result, Romney has been able to do a lot for his image over the last few months. So much so that I don't think we've seen the last of him.

Don't get ahead of yourself. I'm not sure there has ever been a presidential candidate who went into a general election with as little enthusiasm or support from his own party and as much disdain from his own party as Romney had from the Republican Party. You guys never liked Mitt Romney; you just hated Barack Obama.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 04:00:56 AM »
« Edited: January 28, 2014, 04:02:53 AM by King »

It seemed pretty obvious his family thought he was going to win after the first debate more than Mitt did.

The only interesting part about this whole thing was him talking about his dad being the real deal and him just starting where he left off.  If he had actually shared that narrative in the campaign, he might've done better, but a politically expedient pawn like Mitt Romney was never going to be that man, even if elected, and got what he deserved.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 06:03:23 AM »

Well, obviously Romney thought he was going to win.  Why else would he have tried to "expand" the map into Michigan and Pennsylvania at the very end, let alone not write a concession speech?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 06:36:45 AM »

I'd rather not spend my time watching creepy mind control efforts to "humanise" Mitt Romney.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 06:43:52 AM »

I read the AV Club review and see no need to watch it.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 08:11:34 AM »

From the review:

“He was the real deal,” Romney says of his father, George. Romney’s brother pipes up with a cry of “You’re the real deal!” but Romney waves him off with a clipped “no”—he doesn’t want to hear the rah-rah stuff right now. “The guy was born in Mexico,” Romney says. “He didn’t have a college degree. He became head of a car company and became a governor. I started where he ended up. I started off with money and education and Harvard Business School and Harvard Law School.”

http://www.avclub.com/review/mitt-suggests-that-mitt-romney-might-not-be-so-fas-200914

So maybe Mitt's in favor of lending the less fortunate a helping hand then so they can work their way out of poverty as well?
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 12:57:34 PM »

Do you know if "Mitt" is available on Amazon Prime or just Netflix?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 12:59:54 PM »

I'd rather not spend my time watching creepy mind control efforts to "humanise" Mitt Romney.

Yes, I agree with this completely. To be fair, I haven't watched any of the Obama docs from 2008 for similar reasons.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 04:12:26 PM »

I watched it.

Don't get ahead of yourself. I'm not sure there has ever been a presidential candidate who went into a general election with as little enthusiasm or support from his own party and as much disdain from his own party as Romney had from the Republican Party. You guys never liked Mitt Romney; you just hated Barack Obama.

I think you would have been right before the debates, but the energy at some of the last few Romney rallies was pretty palpable. It really seemed like Republicans were coming home at the end.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies