SENATE BILL: End Affirmative Action for the Rich Act (Law'd
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:35:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: End Affirmative Action for the Rich Act (Law'd
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: End Affirmative Action for the Rich Act (Law'd  (Read 2177 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 11:40:29 AM »

NAY
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 12:23:58 PM »

Are we going to add a punishment to this or merely leave it up to the courts to decide if someone violated the statute?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 01:49:51 PM »

Nay
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2014, 02:24:17 PM »

Aye
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2014, 03:26:09 PM »

Nay

Are we going to add a punishment to this or merely leave it up to the courts to decide if someone violated the statute?

It's hard to see what an appropriate punishment might be, so I'm trending to the latter. Someone else could talk me out of that position, however.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2014, 03:45:26 PM »

I'd agree with you, Tyrion. I'd prefer we not include a penalty.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »

Aye
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2014, 08:15:59 PM »

AYE
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2014, 09:04:26 PM »

NAY
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2014, 08:33:34 AM »

We appear to have a tie.

This ends Monday morning.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2014, 06:20:56 PM »

Vote on Amendment 59:58 by Tmth:

Aye (5): DC Al Fine, Goldwater, NC Yankee, shua and Tmthforu94
Nay (5): Bore, X, Talleyrand, TNF and TyrionthEImperialist
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (0):

With a 5-5 vote and time having expired, the vote is tied and needs to be split by the Vice President.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2014, 08:34:19 PM »

Hello?
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2014, 09:09:56 PM »

NAY
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2014, 09:45:26 PM »

This won't have my support. We shouldn't be infringing on the decisions of private institutions like this.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2014, 10:16:07 AM »

This won't have my support. We shouldn't be infringing on the decisions of private institutions like this.

Translation: rich people should have it easier than everyone else.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2014, 02:18:24 PM »

Would an amendment making this apply only to non profits be acceptable as a compromise? Because I don't think any non profit which favours alumni and donors is worthy of the status of a charity.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2014, 02:22:11 PM »

Would an amendment making this apply only to non profits be acceptable as a compromise? Because I don't think any non profit which favours alumni and donors is worthy of the status of a charity.

Most colleges are non-profits, technically, so it wouldn't really be useful language.

Like I said earlier, I don't even know if this bill is necessary anymore given this practice isn't really used as it once was. Schools are more about keeping their SAT and GPA stats high so they can increase their ranking in the US News and World Report, which is where they make their money. Admitting Jonny because his dad went there is a thing of the past. If Jonny is an idiot, he isn't going to Yale.

We could still pass this, but I just fear it will be tossed out in a few months when we purge our statute book. Just my two cents. Carry on, Senators. Tongue
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2014, 02:28:14 PM »

Most colleges are non-profits, technically, so it wouldn't really be useful language.

That's true, but the point of the amendment wouldn't be to get a significant number of colleges off the hook, but to deal with the principles of the bill. Frankly, if a for profit college wants to admit only people who can buy their way in, I'm fine with that. However, I think that being a non profit entails certain things, and one of those is that you shouldn't favour one group of people over another on an arbitrary basis, like the wealth of their family,
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2014, 02:29:09 PM »

Like I said earlier, I don't even know if this bill is necessary anymore given this practice isn't really used as it once was. Schools are more about keeping their SAT and GPA stats high so they can increase their ranking in the US News and World Report, which is where they make their money. Admitting Jonny because his dad went there is a thing of the past. If Jonny is an idiot, he isn't going to Yale.

We could still pass this, but I just fear it will be tossed out in a few months when we purge our statute book. Just my two cents. Carry on, Senators. Tongue
Huh
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2014, 02:30:44 PM »

Huh

Every so often, we go through and repeal laws that are useless and just clogging the books, or we have in the past. I am trying to avoid passing laws that will only serve to be one of the ones we remove in some ominous bill in the future.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2014, 03:47:03 PM »

Huh

Every so often, we go through and repeal laws that are useless and just clogging the books, or we have in the past. I am trying to avoid passing laws that will only serve to be one of the ones we remove in some ominous bill in the future.

In fact, one incredibly handsome and wise senator has proposed such a bill that is in the queue as we speak Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2014, 06:26:17 PM »

The amendment has failed. WE done now?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2014, 06:31:33 PM »

Huh

In fact, one incredibly handsome and wise senator has proposed such a bill that is in the queue as we speak Tongue

See, I just see this as something that will be purged in a few months given the practice is no longer widely used. We're basically late to the party, and we'll have this removed by another handsome senator in a few months. Tongue
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2014, 09:35:37 PM »

This is not quite true. Although schools are concerned with stats like average SAT score and average GPA, they also like to maximize their yield rate. Harvard, for example, still has a third of its class as legacy students, which is obscene. And their ranking remains high because their yield rate is high; legacy students are actually more likely to accept a collegial offer than otherwise.

So, the stats argument actually goes both ways; you can maximize a statistic by accepting a great deal of legacy students.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2014, 11:15:11 AM »

I'm ready for a final vote.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies