Not with a bang, but a whimper
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:50:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Not with a bang, but a whimper
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Not with a bang, but a whimper  (Read 643 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2014, 07:14:45 PM »
« edited: January 27, 2014, 07:20:23 PM by True Federalist »

Somewhere in China c. 900 CE

The old alchemist carefully worked on grinding the mixture of charcoal, sulfur, and saltpeter.  He knew that the elixir he sought to make was flammable  and he did not wish to risk it.  He needed to complete the elixir of immortality before mortality overtook him.  Unfortunately, despite his precautions, he managed to cause a spark which set the powder in the flask he was collecting it alight.

In history as we know it ...

The accumulated powder exploded, knocking the alchemist hard against the opposite wall, snapping his neck.  Like many Daoist alchemists, he had achieved the lesser immortality, but unlike most, his notes were sufficiently clear that his apprentices were able to understand them. They were also young enough to not yet be ready to seek the lesser immortality their master had achieved, but they were bright enough to realize that their master's elixir could be put to other uses.
In this alternate timeline ...

The accumulated powder burned brightly, the fumes pouring from the narrow mouth of the flask causing him to cough hard enough that he was unable to curse as several months work was ruined.  Perhaps a little less saltpeter next time he thought to himself, or at the very least, work on smaller quantities so as to not lose everything at once.  He had his apprentices redouble their efforts so that he might prepare the necessary ingredients to try again before he died without achieving immortality.

I'm going to try my hand at an alternate history in which the primary difference is that explosives don't explode. Other than that basic premise, I don't have anything planned as of yet, tho I do have a few ideas.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 01:28:31 PM »

Interesting. Is it mixed differently, or are you having the laws of physics be conveniently altered for a few seconds?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 05:21:01 PM »

Despite what Scotty is often alleged to claim, I've changed the laws of physics for this timeline.  The brisance of explosives is lower, which means that while chemical reactions still produce the same amount of energy, the rate of energy release is slower for what are considered explosive materials.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies