SENATE BILL: The "Cocaine Should Still be Illegal" Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:12:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The "Cocaine Should Still be Illegal" Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The "Cocaine Should Still be Illegal" Act (Failed)  (Read 2681 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 11:21:19 AM »

Basically if we cannot reverse the law on cocaine, if we lack the votes basically, should we still possibly repeal the law and roll the decriminalization into the Comprehensive Act?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014, 12:07:46 PM »

Basically if we cannot reverse the law on cocaine, if we lack the votes basically, should we still possibly repeal the law and roll the decriminalization into the Comprehensive Act?

No, since cocaine shouldn't have been decriminalized in the first place and amending the Comprehensive Act to include the decriminalization of cocaine will only make it harder to re-criminalize it in the future (assuming there is eventually a Senate session with the votes to do this at some point) if my current efforts fail.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2014, 12:14:57 PM »

How so Senator? Is it that much harder to write a law striking out a few lines from a big bill then it is to write a law saying such and such is repealed?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2014, 12:17:13 PM »

How so Senator? Is it that much harder to write a law striking out a few lines from a big bill then it is to write a law saying such and such is repealed?

None of his logic in this thread makes sense. I'm not sure its supposed to, honestly.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2014, 12:19:09 PM »

Decriminalizing Cocaine was the right decision, and the Senate should abide in it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 12:31:13 PM »

I may have misunderstood what you meant, but I thought you were saying that we should amend the Comprehensive Act to de-criminalize cocaine and leave the law my bill is trying to repeal in place.  That means that re-criminalizing cocaine would require repealing this law and the removing the amendment from the Comprehensive Act.  It is easier to just repeal this law and not have to worry about undoing an amendment to another bill.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2014, 12:47:44 PM »

The best way to do this would be to have an amendment offered and brought to a vote that adds a section to this bill incporating the terms of the act being repealed into the Comprehensive Act (repeal seperate law, add decriminalization to the Comprehensive Law). If we have the votes to recriminalize, the amendment will fail, if not it will pass.

Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2014, 08:32:09 PM »

Why don't we legalize the sale of cocaine, and put a sin tax on it instead? Seems like the best course of action to me.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2014, 09:56:41 PM »

Why don't we legalize the sale of cocaine, and put a sin tax on it instead? Seems like the best course of action to me.

We are in not very good relations with Canada to do so....
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2014, 10:55:09 PM »

Because both the sale and use of cocaine should be subject to criminal penalties.  It's bad enough that cocaine use has been de-criminalized.  Legalizing the sale of cocaine is a step in the wrong direction.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2014, 10:55:31 AM »

Offering an amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »

I object to Senator TNF's amendment.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2014, 12:57:49 PM »

At 25 cents per gram, the tax will cost more in enforcement than it will bring in revenue, and it won't dissuade anyone from selling or using it.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2014, 05:57:51 PM »

At 25 cents per gram, the tax will cost more in enforcement than it will bring in revenue, and it won't dissuade anyone from selling or using it.

So what price would you propose an alternative?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2014, 07:28:47 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: HOstile
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2014, 10:41:01 PM »

I don't think a sin tax is a great idea in the first place with something that is as addictive as cocaine.  If you make it the tax high enough to discourage use, you'll be making it high enough to provide an incentive for people to have a black market to avoid the tax. And since people are addicted they will try to get it even if it is more expensive, which could lead to crime to get the money.

From what I can find, street price for powder is generally close to $100/gram and for crack closer to $150/gram, so use that to think about what kind of tax could affect behavior.

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2014, 10:40:45 AM »

I'd be fine with a higher rate, and that's something we can address with a subsequent amendment should this one pass.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2014, 10:53:51 AM »
« Edited: February 04, 2014, 01:25:22 PM by Napoleon »

I don't think a sin tax is a great idea in the first place with something that is as addictive as cocaine.  If you make it the tax high enough to discourage use, you'll be making it high enough to provide an incentive for people to have a black market to avoid the tax. And since people are addicted they will try to get it even if it is more expensive, which could lead to crime to get the money.

From what I can find, street price for powder is generally close to $100/gram and for crack closer to $150/gram, so use that to think about what kind of tax could affect behavior.

$40 a gram for the good sh**t man. Any more and its a middle finger and a different phone number. I'm not sure about crack but...I've seen crackheads and I don't think they are paying $150 for anything. I can't make any assumptions about the effects of decriminalization.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »

A sin tax on cocaine is a step in the wrong direction and will only mean legalization of the drug's usage.  It is neither an acceptable "compromise" nor is it good policy.  Cocaine should be re-criminalized and it is quite troubling that it was ever de-criminalized.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2014, 07:29:38 PM »

I'd be fine with a higher rate, and that's something we can address with a subsequent amendment should this one pass.

You should just make it a 15 or 20% excise tax on the value of the Cocaine sold. There is a 15% excise tax on Marijuana so I think a 20% tax on Cocaine should be good.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2014, 07:36:12 PM »

You should just make it a 15 or 20% excise tax on the value of the Cocaine sold. There is a 15% excise tax on Marijuana so I think a 20% tax on Cocaine should be good.

It shouldn't be sold period.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2014, 07:43:06 PM »

It shouldn't be sold period.

Well I hate to be Mr Obvious but your bill won't do anything to stop it except allow minorities to be tossed into prisons more easily.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2014, 08:12:53 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: HOstile
Status: A vote is now open on the above amendment, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2014, 08:18:03 PM »

NAY
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators