U.S. Right Wing giving up on gay marriage, advocating overseas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:44:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  U.S. Right Wing giving up on gay marriage, advocating overseas
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: U.S. Right Wing giving up on gay marriage, advocating overseas  (Read 2881 times)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 28, 2014, 07:08:21 AM »

http://www.nationaljournal.com/gay-washington/evangelicals-are-winning-the-gay-marriage-fight-in-africa-and-russia-20140123

Interesting article on how ultra right wing psychopaths seem to be spreading homophobia overseas as they've basically given up on the western world. 

Also interesting is that they are basically relegating themselves to the extreme third world (Russia, Middle East, and Africa) as they are also starting to lose the battle in the more developed world (Latin America, East Asia).

I guess in a sense it's scary because the extreme third world is gaining in population, whereas the civilized world is declining in population.

Perhaps this will be the model for World War 3:

Intelligent, educated, non-religious countries (U.S., Europe, East Asia, Latin America) vs. the wastelands (Russia, Africa, Middle East).

Not sure why I turned this topic into a world war scenario, I just think that's how it will eventually go and this article coincides with that in the sense that these wasteland countries are taking up a very different agenda than educated countries.
swl
France

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 07:18:05 AM »
« Edited: January 28, 2014, 07:21:08 AM by swl »

I think that countries resorting to death penalty automatically fall in the wastelands category.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 07:42:41 AM »

Will they start encouraging American evangelicals to move overseas?

Somalia is essentially run by warlords, so put together an army, and it would be pretty easy to carve out an unrecognized country there.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 07:56:16 AM »

Intelligent, educated, non-religious countries (U.S., Europe, East Asia, Latin America) vs. the wastelands (Russia, Africa, Middle East).

Many countries in Latin America (and Europe too) are still very religious. Obviously there are secular areas, but just because a country has enacted some left-wing social policies over the last few years doesn't mean they're non-religious.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 09:48:50 AM »

If there is a World War III, I guarantee you it will not be fought over gay marriage.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 11:35:41 AM »

So the "good, pious US Christians who simply want to preserve traditional marriage" are now admitting freely they support "kill the gays" bills?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 01:50:26 PM »

Three things: We've known this for a while now and it's unambiguously horrible and a disgusting thing for these people to be doing, people referring to these places as wastelands should keep in mind the story of the Dolorous Stroke, and World War III is not going to be fought over gay marriage what the [Inks].
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 01:52:43 PM »

This is wrong on many levels, but, in particular I question the view that Russia is less developed than most Latin American countries. Also, I don't see any gay marriage in Japan, Taiwan and South Korea, all countries that would fall into your 'enlightened' East Asian category.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 01:57:35 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2014, 04:48:53 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

This is wrong on many levels, but, in particular I question the view that Russia is less developed than most Latin American countries. Also, I don't see any gay marriage in Japan, Taiwan and South Korea, all countries that would fall into your 'enlightened' East Asian category.

Those places still have a highly family-based (as Ernest, I believe, has defined it in the recent past, as opposed to couple-based) legal and to an extent social understanding of what the institution of marriage is there for, which is possible to reconcile conceptually with having same-sex marriage but not particularly easy and which certainly doesn't imply it in the way that a couple-based understanding does. Coming or being 'out' is also a somewhat different and rather less common concept. It's definitely possible to live one's life as an LGBT person in Japan at least, which I know more about than Taiwan and South Korea, without encountering much open harassment, and a lot of places are starting to pass local or regional antidiscrimination ordinances, but there are several remaining corners of the world that will probably have same-sex marriage before most of Northeast Asia does.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 01:59:50 PM »

I for one welcome terrorism to become white Christian thing.
Link
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 02:33:34 PM »

the wastelands (Russia, Africa, Middle East).

I like how the only people that deserve respect and dignity are either gays or transexuals that want to shower with little girls.  Personally I would much rather live in parts of Africa than in a lot of Appalachia.

Contrary to this amazing thread most people in Africa are preoccupied with other things and don't give much thought to a man sticking his penis in a 16 year olds anus whether pro or against.

This thread is more a mirror for the OP and western fanatics on both sides of that issue.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 03:12:36 PM »

Christian fundamentalist homophobia in America is bad enough.  It leads to the emotional and physical torture of children.  It leads to physical violence against gay people.  It leads to opposition to equal civil rights for gay people.  But, if you're an adult homosexual in a state like New York it's really not that bad.

But, when Christian fundamentalists go to Africa with their anti-gay crusade.  They're putting people in much greater danger.  They're associating themselves with murders.  Also, by associating Christianity with the supposed masculine identity of straightness, they're turning Christianity into an ideology of hatred and social regression.  There's blood on their hands.

What we in the US need to do is allow in tons of gay refugees.  We all know that neighborhoods get rehabilitated and gentrified by gay people.  The same is true for countries.  Gay people are a huge economic plus and the United States should try to corner the market on homosexuals. 
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 05:11:59 PM »

Christian fundamentalist homophobia in America is bad enough.  It leads to the emotional and physical torture of children.  It leads to physical violence against gay people.  It leads to opposition to equal civil rights for gay people.  But, if you're an adult homosexual in a state like New York it's really not that bad.

But, when Christian fundamentalists go to Africa with their anti-gay crusade.  They're putting people in much greater danger.  They're associating themselves with murders.  Also, by associating Christianity with the supposed masculine identity of straightness, they're turning Christianity into an ideology of hatred and social regression.  There's blood on their hands.

What we in the US need to do is allow in tons of gay refugees.  We all know that neighborhoods get rehabilitated and gentrified by gay people.  The same is true for countries.  Gay people are a huge economic plus and the United States should try to corner the market on homosexuals. 

Send gay Ugandans and Kenyans to Michele Bachmann's district by the planeload. Marcus will be thrilled at the prospect of "curing" them.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 05:19:56 PM »

Those places still have a highly family-based (as Ernest, I believe, has defined it in the recent past, as opposed to couple-based) legal and to an extent social understanding of what the institution of marriage is there for, which is possible to reconcile conceptually with having same-sex marriage but not particularly easy and which certainly doesn't imply it in the way that a couple-based understanding does. Coming or being 'out' is also a somewhat different and rather less common concept. It's definitely possible to live one's life as an LGBT person in Japan at least, which I know more about than Taiwan and South Korea, without encountering much open harassment, and a lot of places are starting to pass local or regional antidiscrimination ordinances, but there are several remaining corners of the world that will probably have same-sex marriage before most of Northeast Asia does.

You are probably correct, but on the other hand, these countries are certainly not the most liberal western nations when it comes to gay rights, and this chap seems to be suggesting that liberal attitudes towards gay rights are somehow the most important arbiter of whether a country is civilised or not (which in my view is silly).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 06:09:34 PM »

Send gay Ugandans and Kenyans to Michele Bachmann's district by the planeload. Marcus will be thrilled at the prospect of "curing" them.

There are gay bars in that district (in downtown St. Cloud.) Also I'd be surprised if there wasn't a non-neglible gay population in Stillwater and Woodbury (even if they're no longer in the district) and Blaine, Lino Lakes and Anoka.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 07:24:50 PM »

ITT: Pearl clutching social liberals.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »

Opposition to the promotion of violent homophobia overseas is not social liberalism.  It's just decency.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 08:05:24 PM »

Taiwan is very tolerant on homosexuality, and Japan is certainly better than Russia.  South Korea is more conservative than Japan or Taiwan, but at least gays aren't threatened with so much violence, as they are in Russia, Uganda, Iraq, etc.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 08:50:38 PM »

So you're okay with murdering and imprisoning gay people?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 09:26:22 PM »

Indy, you're smarter than this silly false dichotomy stuff

Interesting article on how ultra right wing psychopaths seem to be spreading homophobia overseas as they've basically given up on the western world. 

Also interesting is that they are basically relegating themselves to the extreme third world (Russia, Middle East, and Africa) as they are also starting to lose the battle in the more developed world (Latin America, East Asia).

I guess in a sense it's scary because the extreme third world is gaining in population, whereas the civilized world is declining in population.

Not sure why I turned this topic into a world war scenario, I just think that's how it will eventually go and this article coincides with that in the sense that these wasteland countries are taking up a very different agenda than educated countries.

Again I say: Pearl clutching and hyperbole.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 09:27:59 PM »

Apparently Chile and El Salvador are less religious than Russia...
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 11:01:58 PM »

How is Russia 3rd World? When I hear 3rd world I think of Africa, Central Asia, and parts of the Middle East.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 05:35:38 AM »

Three things: We've known this for a while now and it's unambiguously horrible and a disgusting thing for these people to be doing, people referring to these places as wastelands should keep in mind the story of the Dolorous Stroke, and World War III is not going to be fought over gay marriage what the [Inks].

No-where in my post does it say WW3 will be fought over gay marriage.  Do you know what the word "coincide" means?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 05:45:21 AM »

Well this is the post to pull me out of my self induced leave!

What I find most disturbing is the reluctance of many people in this thread to do anything other than call out those who posted it for ‘hyperbole’; not to actually engage with the proposition, which has an extraordinarily frightening truth to it. Laws are being passed, people are being arrested and others are being physically attacked. But no, let’s focus on the hyperbole.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 04:37:24 PM »

Indy, you're smarter than this silly false dichotomy stuff

Again I say: Pearl clutching and hyperbole.

Uh, you think people who are trying to kill gay people overseas aren't psychopaths?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies