Eight Cities that should host a Super Bowl, by Sports Illustrated
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:13:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Eight Cities that should host a Super Bowl, by Sports Illustrated
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Eight Cities that should host a Super Bowl, by Sports Illustrated  (Read 823 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 28, 2014, 01:54:01 PM »

http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/24/eight-in-the-box-future-super-bowl-host-cities-london-seattle/

This part blew my mind...
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Can'twe wait for a franchise in London before we start talking Super Bowl?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 01:55:02 PM »

How about just keep the NFL away from London all together? Besides one or two games a year...
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 02:17:24 PM »

The Super Bowl should stay in constant rotation between Green Bay, Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and New York.  None of this warm-weather dome bullcrap anymore- keep it in the cradle of football, in the cities that had teams before the AFC was a glint in Lamar Hunt's eye.

Or, hell, just play it in Canton every year.  They could use the business.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 02:25:13 PM »

I'd like to see them decide it based on a rotating regional schedule, perhaps even by divisions. For example, one year bids will only be heard from teams in either the AFC East or NFC East divisions, the next year bids will only be heard from teams in either the AFC South or NFC South divisions, etc.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 02:27:59 PM »

London is a dumb idea. If you're going to have a foreign Super Bowl, might as well go all the way and have it at the Tokyo Dome. That would be something.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 02:56:17 PM »

Detroit should host again.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 02:59:04 PM »

Yep.  Just having games over there is painful enough.  Ugh.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 06:05:35 PM »

Would they ever put a UEFA Champions' League final in the USA?  Of course not. So why would we put a Super Bowl in Europe?

Although if/when there's an NFL team located in London, I guess it's a possibility, but it would need to be in a covered dome.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 07:48:20 PM »

Would they ever put a UEFA Champions' League final in the USA?  Of course not. So why would we put a Super Bowl in Europe?

Although if/when there's an NFL team located in London, I guess it's a possibility, but it would need to be in a covered dome.

Fun fact: The 1947 All-Ireland Football Championship was held at the Polo Grounds.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 07:53:32 PM »

They should go back to Pasadena where Super Bowl 27 was held (1992-1993) season.  That is a location where you rarely have to worry about weather issues.  They haven't held a Super Bowl at the Rose Bowl since 27.  21 years too many.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 08:13:49 PM »

Putting it in London would necessarily mean a much earlier afternoon start time in the US, no?  Otherwise, the game is starting at about midnight, local time.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 08:33:11 PM »

One of the more controversial things about the AFL is that the Grand Final (more or less equivalent to the Super Bowl) is always held at the MCG.

The MCG is the spiritual home of football, and sport in general, in Australia, and also the largest stadium - 100,000 seats - so it does have a strong claim, but there's also a not completely unreasonably view that it does unfairly advantage teams that play at the stadium as a home ground quite a lot, and the other Victorian teams a bit too.

I'd never be one to support changing it around, but if it *was* a moving host situation, it would need to be balanced between the cities, regardless of weather. Having the game at the end of September helps weather-wise, cos all cities are perfectly fine to host at that time of year. Maybe something proportional to the teams - As 9/18 clubs are in Melbourne, have every second year at the MCG, then rotate the other years between Perth-Brisbane/GC-Syndey-Adelaide, with the Geelong year being the 'regional year'. Canberra, Cairns, Darwin, Geelong itself, Tassie...
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 01:52:48 AM »

I'm disappointed Super Bowl 50 isn't at the Rose Bowl. It's still in great shape and draws, but San Fran? Come on now.. Even if it's an older stadium great football is played there.

I wouldn't mind a rotating by conference deal but I think the way it is is fine for now unless it doesn't change locations all of a sudden.

I think Washington DC, Seattle, and Charlotte could host good ones. I would have loved to seen how Kansas City handled next year's SB.

President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 02:22:56 AM »

I'm disappointed Super Bowl 50 isn't at the Rose Bowl. It's still in great shape and draws, but San Fran? Come on now.. Even if it's an older stadium great football is played there.

I wouldn't mind a rotating by conference deal but I think the way it is is fine for now unless it doesn't change locations all of a sudden.

I think Washington DC, Seattle, and Charlotte could host good ones. I would have loved to seen how Kansas City handled next year's SB.

What's wrong with having it in San Francisco (Santa Clara, really)? The weather is likely to be pretty good, and the stadium will be new, not to mention the fact that it hasn't been there in a while.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 02:39:14 AM »

Green Bay deserves the Super Bowl.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 04:09:10 AM »

Pittsburgh should have at least one Super Bowl. The very first professional game was played here and our franchise is one of the oldest and most decorated in existence. In fact, I agree with the suggestion that the cold weather cities should get it for awhile. Football thrived in the midwest and northeast long before the south and west got their claws into it.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 05:08:06 AM »

Football thrived in the midwest and northeast long before the south and west got their claws into it.

According to The Gilmore Girls, tailgating was invented at Yale.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 03:52:22 PM »

I'm disappointed Super Bowl 50 isn't at the Rose Bowl. It's still in great shape and draws, but San Fran? Come on now..

Please explain.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 03:54:57 PM »

I'm disappointed Super Bowl 50 isn't at the Rose Bowl. It's still in great shape and draws, but San Fran? Come on now..

Please explain.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 08:23:35 PM »

no.  let keep euros away from american sports.

let them stick with cricket and soccer.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies