Bentsen/Dukakis (D) vs. Quayle/Bush (R) in 1988
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:10:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bentsen/Dukakis (D) vs. Quayle/Bush (R) in 1988
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bentsen/Dukakis (D) vs. Quayle/Bush (R) in 1988  (Read 2059 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2005, 05:37:18 PM »

Let's imagine for this scenario that by some bizarre chain of events, incumbent Vice President George Bush loses the 1988 Republican primaries and again has to serve as running mate to the unlikely choice of Senator Dan Quayle of Indiana.  Equally, Senator Lloyd Bentsen of Texas runs and wins the Democratic primaries and selects runner-up Governor Michael Dukakis of Massachusetts as his running mate.

How would the campaign have run in this match-up?  And of course, what would the final result be?  Anybody want to do a map?
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 08:43:06 PM »

Bentsen/Dukakis 299
Quayle/Bush 239
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 08:44:23 PM »

I can't stand Bentsen but he'd probably win.

By the way, Quayle was right in that debate. He never compared himself to JFK.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 08:50:00 PM »

Bentsen landslide

No liberal tag, no tank pic, no Willie Horton.  Bentsen was an experienced, popular Senator.  Quayle was an inexperienced, young senator.  Not much to go on.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 09:22:27 PM »

"I have as much experience in the Congress as Jack Kennedy did when he sought the presidency." - Dan Quayle in the debate.

Bentsen didn't just pluck his name out of the air.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 09:25:28 PM »

"I have as much experience in the Congress as Jack Kennedy did when he sought the presidency." - Dan Quayle in the debate.

Ummm....actually, Quayle said he had as much experience, which is true. Bentsen made it seem like Quayle portrayed himself as the next JFK, which was not true. Bentsen saw an opportunity to be a bully and he took it.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 09:30:26 PM »

Ummm....actually, Quayle said he had as much experience, which is true. Bentsen made it seem like Quayle portrayed himself as the next JFK, which was not true. Bentsen saw an opportunity to be a bully and he took it.

To say Qualye didn't set himself up is ludicrous.

In any event, every campaign takes quotes out of context, see Kerry's "comparison" of terrorism to prostitution.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 09:31:22 PM »

In mentioning JFK's name at all and comparing the length of both of their political experiences, Quayle was trying to illustrate the point that if JFK could do it, so could he.  In doing so, he was putting himself on the same level as JFK, and that is what Bentsen corrected for him.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 09:31:58 PM »

He said he had as much experience and it's unfortunate that the American people couldn't see that that was the truth.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 09:33:04 PM »

In mentioning JFK's name at all and comparing the length of both of their political experiences, Quayle was trying to illustrate the point that if JFK could do it, so could he.  In doing so, he was putting himself on the same level as JFK, and that is what Bentsen corrected for him.

He pointed out that they had the same political experience. How is that not true?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 09:34:39 PM »

He said he had as much experience and it's unfortunate that the American people couldn't see that that was the truth.

It didn't really hurt Bush/Quayle did it? It only hurt Quayle in future Presidential runs, which you should be thankful for, seeing as if somehow he got nominated, you'd be screwed.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2005, 09:38:02 PM »

It didn't really hurt Bush/Quayle did it? It only hurt Quayle in future Presidential runs, which you should be thankful for, seeing as if somehow he got nominated, you'd be screwed.

Our chances would be screwed but I don't mind Quayle at all. He's just one misunderstood guy.  Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2005, 09:38:34 PM »

He pointed out that they had the same political experience. How is that not true?

Come on, you can admit that that was not the only way Quayle wanted his statement to be taken.  By mentioning a popular former president in reference to himself, he was obviously trying to establish a link between the two in potential voters' minds.  It may have only been one sentence, but it was previously rehearsed and designed for that same effect.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2005, 09:40:58 PM »

Come on, you can admit that that was not the only way Quayle wanted his statement to be taken.  By mentioning a popular former president in reference to himself, he was obviously trying to establish a link between the two in potential voters' minds.  It may have only been one sentence, but it was previously rehearsed and designed for that same effect.

Sure. He wanted people to realize that he was on the same level as JFK. But Democrats wouldn't want that to be brought up, even if it's true. JFK belongs to them and how dare anyone point out something bad about one of the leading members of "America's Family."  Roll Eyes
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 09:46:30 PM »

But that's the point.  Not to glorify JFK more than necessary, but to his fans inside and out of the Democratic Party, being compared to Dan Quayle is like a slap in the face.  It'd be like Albert Einstein being compared to L. Ron Hubbard.  Too right that Bentsen should defend his former friend and ally from that comparative retard.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2005, 10:25:45 PM »

I can't believe the map has Quayle winning 239 electoral votes. Quayle would have been absolutely, utterly, totally DEMOLISHED! He'd do almost as bad as Mondale, actually.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2005, 10:31:16 PM »

he's still a moron who can't spell.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2005, 12:08:25 AM »

he's still a moron who can't spell.

How about the idiot teacher that couldn't spell potato correctly on the flashcard that Quayle read from?
Cashcow

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2005, 12:10:47 AM »

Shouldn't a high-ranking politician be able to correct that?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2005, 12:11:10 AM »

But that's the point.  Not to glorify JFK more than necessary, but to his fans inside and out of the Democratic Party, being compared to Dan Quayle is like a slap in the face.  It'd be like Albert Einstein being compared to L. Ron Hubbard.  Too right that Bentsen should defend his former friend and ally from that comparative retard.

I don't care if it's a slap in the face. A fact is a fact. Quayle had the same experience as JFK and I could care less what anyone's fans have to say. If someone like Ed Rendell stood up and said "Well I have the same experience Ronald Reagan had when he sought the Presidency" I wouldn't whine "Oh he's trying to make himself out to be Reagan!" Bentsen wanted to be a big shot and make some news.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2005, 12:11:56 AM »

Shouldn't a high-ranking politician be able to correct that?

Yeah because politicians don't make spelling errors.
Cashcow

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2005, 12:15:00 AM »

I don't think anyone was using it to degrade Quayle. It was just really funny, and went well with all of his hilariously absurd quotations.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2005, 12:16:24 AM »

I don't think anyone was using it to degrade Quayle. It was just really funny, and went well with all of his hilariously absurd quotations.

Yeah he does have some weird quotes. It's funny that I was talking about Quayle and his quotes earlier today. My math teacher even has a wall dedicated to some of his sayings. Very...interesting to say the least but I don't think he was a dumb guy.
Cashcow

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2005, 12:20:40 AM »

I agree, and I think the same applies to Bush. While both have some quotes that can easily make me laugh out loud, they're both fit to be in a position of leadership, whether I support their views or not.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2005, 06:23:49 PM »

I can't believe the map has Quayle winning 239 electoral votes. Quayle would have been absolutely, utterly, totally DEMOLISHED! He'd do almost as bad as Mondale, actually.

What states would you flip?  Keep in mind this is 1988 and the NE isn't totally Democratic yet.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies