PPP: Americans love Peyton Manning & Broncos, Richard Sherman not so much
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:40:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  PPP: Americans love Peyton Manning & Broncos, Richard Sherman not so much
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PPP: Americans love Peyton Manning & Broncos, Richard Sherman not so much  (Read 1735 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2014, 02:04:15 PM »

Americans strongly back Broncos

PPP's annual look at who Americans want to win the Super Bowl finds a pretty lopsided contest this year. 49% are rooting for the Denver Broncos to just 22% pulling for the Seattle Seahawks, with 29% saying they have no opinion either way.

In a time when Americans are divided about many things, pulling for the Broncos brings people together across lines that usually separate them. Liberals, conservatives, men, women, whites, African Americans, Democrats, Republicans, Latinos, and voters young and old are all cheering for Denver to win on Sunday.

The overwhelming favor for the Broncos is likely a product of Peyton Manning's unique popularity. 64% of Americans have a positive opinion of him to just 8% who see him unfavorably. There are very few people in the country who can maintain that level of esteem. Seahawks QB Russell Wilson is seen pretty favorably as well among those with an opinion of him- 34% positive to only 8% negative. But most people- 58%- just haven't formed a view one way or the other.

Despite his well publicized and much discussed postgame interview last week, 57% of Americans don't have an opinion one way or the other about Richard Sherman either. Views of him are generally negative- 15% favorable, 28% unfavorable- with those who do have a take. In his feud with San Francisco Wide Receiver Michael Crabtree, 20% of voters take Crabtree's side to 11% for Sherman, with 70% not taking a side either way.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2014/01/americans-strongly-back-broncos.html
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 02:24:19 PM »

Americans love Peyton Manning because they buy into sports-media driven narratives and like his awful commercials.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 05:14:25 PM »

Well Americans are racist, so that's unsurprising.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »

It would be really hard to have an unfavorable opinion of Russell Wilson, IMO. I mean that kid is a true class act and is a very personable sort of fellow. Sherman is an expressive kind of guy, and if anyone paid any attention to media week this week you see that. He's a good guy. Now they're criticizing Marshawn Lynch for being too backward. Sometimes you can't win. You know, the Seahawks have a LOT of personality and I love their coach. Man crush on Pete Carroll. That he has managed those personalities to this level of success means he is the Ultimate Coach.

Peyton Manning is one of those dull, boring guys who has no life whatsoever outside of his job, but of course his job has made him rich and famous. There's always been something about him that irked me.

Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 05:31:01 PM »

I'd like either of them if they played for the Steelers. Apart from that, I really don't care. I did enjoy Sherman's antics though. Way more entertaining than Manning.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 05:32:51 PM »

Obviously, because sports television has been praising him as the GOAT all season long. I'm definitely biased, but I believe its also hard to deny that he has benefited tremendously from media support in terms of public opinion.

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 05:35:35 PM »

I may watch my first football game this season. The Seahawks have apparently never won the Super Bowl in franchise history, so that's a good reason to root for them. On the other hand, since more people are rooting for the Broncos, a Broncos victory would lead to greater overall joy across the nation. So there's positives to either outcome, imo.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 01:31:47 AM »

Pete Carroll is probably the worst person in the world.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 02:00:29 AM »

Well Americans are racist, so that's unsurprising.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 02:12:02 AM »

Never thought I would be rooting this hard for Peyton Manning. Beat Seattle!
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 02:25:41 AM »

I may watch my first football game this season. The Seahawks have apparently never won the Super Bowl in franchise history, so that's a good reason to root for them. On the other hand, since more people are rooting for the Broncos, a Broncos victory would lead to greater overall joy across the nation. So there's positives to either outcome, imo.

Literally my thought process for all sports games unless the Oklahoma Thunder are playing.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 10:35:24 AM »

Racism, etc.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 11:04:45 AM »

Why so racist against white people?
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 11:11:52 AM »

I'm aware that most of my surroundings are rooting for the Broncos, not just because of Peyton's popularity in general but also because Lil' Brudder is my hometown QB and so there's some extra Manning Family solidarity going on.  And another ring for Peyton will do wonders to quiet at least some of the irrational haters from Southie who don't accept that he's just objectively the best QB of all time, so that would be good.

But... I'm rooting for the Seahawks anyway.  That city deserves a title more- both in terms of being championship-starved and having the best all-around team in the league this year.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2014, 11:37:21 AM by Paul Kemp »

And another ring for Peyton will do wonders to quiet at least some of the irrational haters from Southie who don't accept that he's just objectively the best QB of all time, so that would be good.

Also, it's not really irrational to say that Peyton isn't the best (admittedly I'm a bit biased as I am a Brady guy). If someone was to say Peyton wasn't Top 3, then yes they would be irrational haters. In regard to Brady v. Manning (a debate I loathe), I've taken the opinion of "whoever you think is best, you're right." Both have excellent cases. Still though, I put the real Joe Cool at the top.

If I was a NYG fan (in some hellish alternate reality), I would root for the Seahawks just so Eli has the edge.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 11:45:51 AM »

And another ring for Peyton will do wonders to quiet at least some of the irrational haters from Southie who don't accept that he's just objectively the best QB of all time, so that would be good.

Also, it's not really irrational to say that Peyton isn't the best (admittedly I'm a bit biased as I am a Brady guy). If someone was to say Peyton wasn't Top 3, then yes they would be irrational haters. In regard to Brady v. Manning (a debate I loathe), I've taken the opinion of "whoever you think is best, you're right." Both have excellent cases. Still though, I put the real Joe Cool at the top.

If I was a NYG fan (in some hellish alternate reality), I would root for the Seahawks just so Eli has the edge.

Well, yeah, you're biased. Tongue

I guess Montana over Manning is defensible; I don't think that Brady or anyone else is (though I'd love to see some leather-helmet oldtimer make the case for Sammy Baugh on historical importance grounds).  But ultimately I consider rings to be the measure of a team, not an individual- even if that individual is the most important one. 

And this is no knock on Brady, who is in my Top 10 for sure, and has a pretty strong case for #3. 
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 02:37:47 PM »

As a 49ers fan, I think Montana is a bit overrated due to his rings, honestly.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 05:08:39 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2014, 05:10:10 PM by Acting Pac. Gov. DemPGH »

Uhh, the old debate resumes. Smiley

[1] Super Joe
[2] Manning / Brady
[2A] Brady / Manning

Brady's and Manning's careers will have turned to be pretty symmetrical with Brady's championships being pre-2005 and Manning's being post-2005, but he has to win this SB, IMO.

Montana was the best, certainly in the modern era. Someone can argue for Johnny Unitas or somebody, but certainly in my lifetime Montana was the best. Remember, in Walsh's offense there was a lot of power and power running with tight ends and fullbacks, as was standard then. Montana had Jerry Rice and John Taylor and Roger Craig to throw to out of the backfield in an era when defense ruled. So Montana's the GOAT.

These guys now have the rules in their favor, five wideouts to throw to, and actually get free first downs on very questionable penalties, IMO, but I'm old school. Let 'em play (within reason).  
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 10:32:31 PM »

I'm aware that most of my surroundings are rooting for the Broncos, not just because of Peyton's popularity in general but also because Lil' Brudder is my hometown QB and so there's some extra Manning Family solidarity going on.  And another ring for Peyton will do wonders to quiet at least some of the irrational haters from Southie who don't accept that he's just objectively the best QB of all time, so that would be good.

But... I'm rooting for the Seahawks anyway.  That city deserves a title more- both in terms of being championship-starved and having the best all-around team in the league this year.
No he isn't that honor would go to this man http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Graham
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 01:54:34 AM »

It would be really hard to have an unfavorable opinion of Russell Wilson, IMO. I mean that kid is a true class act and is a very personable sort of fellow. Sherman is an expressive kind of guy, and if anyone paid any attention to media week this week you see that. He's a good guy. Now they're criticizing Marshawn Lynch for being too backward. Sometimes you can't win. You know, the Seahawks have a LOT of personality and I love their coach. Man crush on Pete Carroll. That he has managed those personalities to this level of success means he is the Ultimate Coach.

Peyton Manning is one of those dull, boring guys who has no life whatsoever outside of his job, but of course his job has made him rich and famous. There's always been something about him that irked me.

I could not have said it better. Good win.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies