So, what about this site?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:50:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  So, what about this site?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So, what about this site?  (Read 2498 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2005, 05:45:50 PM »

I really don't like Blair, but I don't think I'd support these folks if I was a UK voter. This is similar to what Nader claims. Who I'd vote for would probably depend on my constitiuentcy, but I would never vote Tory: http://www.backingblair.co.uk/
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 03:31:09 AM »

This appears to be your first encounter with the gross hypocrisy of a large proportion of the liberal intelligentsia in this country.
Apparently Howard's blatent appeal to the darker side of outer suburban voters (his whole campaign is geared towards them) including the not-so-subtle playing of the race card is a "minor issue" to a lot of them.

I'm trying to think of a constituency like the place you live. Wait a sec...
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 02:19:22 PM »

I realize that British and American poliotical lingo has its differences (for example the totall opposite meaning of to table)  but I would have thought that a site named backingblair would be supporting (i.e. backing) Blair, not against him.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 03:54:18 PM »

I realize that British and American poliotical lingo has its differences (for example the totall opposite meaning of to table)  but I would have thought that a site named backingblair would be supporting (i.e. backing) Blair, not against him.

I think they're just trying to be "clever"...
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 04:01:08 PM »

I thought that was likely but since as is usually attributed to George Bernard Shaw, “England and America are two countries separated by the same language,” I wasn’t certain.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 04:07:40 PM »

I thought that was likely but since as is usually attributed to George Bernard Shaw, “England and America are two countries separated by the same language,” I wasn’t certain.

And to complicate things Bernard Shaw was Irish (originally anyways) Wink

Your comments would be welcome HERE, btw
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 04:17:19 PM »

FAQ:

http://www.backingblair.co.uk/faq.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 04:31:39 PM »

Irony: Orwell detested people like them
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 04:51:50 PM »

Well according to Political Compass, the Lib Dems are currently more liberal than Labour on both social and economic issues, so they'd probably be my choice if that was true. But I've learned to take their charts of parties and world leaders with a grain of salt.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005, 05:06:34 PM »

Well according to Political Compass, the Lib Dems are currently more liberal than Labour on both social and economic issues, so they'd probably be my choice if that was true. But I've learned to take their charts of parties and world leaders with a grain of salt.

That chart in particular is a joke... it actually claims that Labour in 1972 was more left wing than Labour in 1982!

It's certainly true that the LibDems are more socially liberal than Labour (always have been) but Labour are much more leftist on economic issues (usually seen, by the Labour movement at least, as moral issues to a certain degree).
Interestingly the LibDems intend to slash a lot of social programmes, even one's known to work well.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2005, 05:17:59 PM »

I'm beginning to think the people who run PC are just big Lib Dem supporters, also judging from their chart of how Labour and Tory leaders have moved in the past couple years, the whole attitude seems to be "Tories are far right jokes, Labour are spineless sellouts, the BNP are actually left wing, Lib Dems are the most centrist and reasonable party"

From what I've heard, most American liberal activists (the "Deaniac" types) would go with the Lib Dems over current Labour. I do agree with them and the site that I'm not fond of Blair, but using the advocated Naderite tactics is something I will never do. I would not vote Labour though if I thought there was a better alternative which might include Lib Dem, but there's no way I would vote Tory, so like I said, it would depend on my constituency. I doubt there is any place like it in the UK, are there any rather urbanized college towns in the middle of a somewhat conservative farming valley a relatively short distance away from a major urban center where most of the people who live there like to spend a good amount of their time?

For the record, I actually found this site on DU, which is fairly ironic considering how much Nader is hated there.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 05:14:59 AM »

Sounds like Cambridge.

Grin
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 12:18:32 AM »

Cambridge, MA or is there a Cambridge in the UK like that?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2005, 03:57:14 AM »

Cambridge, MA or is there a Cambridge in the UK like that?

He's talking about the original one (which is in the U.K)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 03:59:46 AM »

30 odd years ago maybe (although I'd say Cambridge is more like an Ivy Leauge Uni), but not anymore whatwith the whole "silicon fen" thing; whole area is a massive growth hotspot and is hardly rural anymore.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 02:03:33 AM »

This appears to be your first encounter with the gross hypocrisy of a large proportion of the liberal intelligentsia in this country.
Apparently Howard's blatent appeal to the darker side of outer suburban voters (his whole campaign is geared towards them) including the not-so-subtle playing of the race card is a "minor issue" to a lot of them.

Are you SURE you're reffering to the UK?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2005, 03:20:21 AM »

Are you SURE you're reffering to the UK?

Grin
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2005, 09:43:17 PM »

well, the Conservative campaign is being run by Lynton Crosby, the same guy who ran Howard's 1996 and 2001 campaigns...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2005, 01:45:16 AM »

well, the Conservative campaign is being run by Lynton Crosby, the same guy who ran Howard's 1996 and 2001 campaigns...

True. And until the Flight thing the media acted like they were having a fling with him...

But on tuther hand outer suburban voters are pretty different in both countries Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies