Dexter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:47:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Dexter
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dexter  (Read 208 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2014, 06:07:34 PM »

I just finished the final season a few days ago and I'm still upset about how fantastically awful the ending was.

I appreciate what they were going for, but it was just.. so, so dumb. They wasted so much potential.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 08:33:21 PM »

I just finished the final season a few days ago and I'm still upset about how fantastically awful the ending was.

I appreciate what they were going for, but it was just.. so, so dumb. They wasted so much potential.

http://www.avclub.com/article/showtime-told-emdexterem-writers-they-couldnt-kill-103892
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 02:17:25 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2014, 02:19:05 AM by Marokai Beleaguered »

Hell, even just because they couldn't kill Dexter (which I probably would've preferred, sure) doesn't really excuse how abysmal the last few seasons turned out to be. Hannah was a terrible idea from the start, Season Six entirely was a total abortion, killing Laguerta so quickly was such a lame choice that killed any tension the show had left (it's hilarious to me how they killed her basically immediately after she becomes an intelligent character capable of putting s**t together) and any interesting developments with Debra were brushed under the rug over and over again.

It had nothing to do with not wanting to kill off the character, it's that the writers eventually started worshiping the guy as some sort of superhero. Dexter's never wrong about anything, gets everything he wants, can never be talked down to by anyone, always has to win whenever he's in danger, and all his inexcusable behavior is totally okay, because he's Dexter. Dexter completely ruins the life of everyone around him and puts everyone he comes into contact with in danger, and you're supposed to be on his side. That's what eventually ruined the show.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 04:26:27 AM »

I gave the show the benefit of the doubt for the last few seasons.. hell, I even enjoyed the first half of the last season. But, just.. everything about the last episode was just so, SO dumb. I'm not a very demanding critic.

I think what bothered me the most was the pacing. The last episodes were terribly boring and lacking in the suspense and anticipation I'd enjoyed. Then, they threw in fifteen "major" events into the last episode in order to make it exciting (I guess) but it only revealed the show's ridiculousness to a level bordering on surrealism. Deb is fine, then suddenly a vegetable, then she's euthanized and calmly whisked away to burial by hurricane because there's a pier at the hospital. Dexter kills whoever with a pen sunk straight into the carotid artery on camera in prison and his buddies just shrug and go "Yeah, uh, self defense" in literally thirty seconds. What the Christ? No one saw Hannah stab a guy on the bus? Harrison raised by a serial killer in a foreign country? No one thought any of this sh**t through and it's glaringly retarded. I know the last few seasons were meh to most people but this was just soooo terrible.

I have a more interesting alternative ending theory: Dexter did die in the hurricane. What you see at the end is an empty shell of who Harrison could have been, traumatized from losing his mother to a serial killer, his father and grandfather committing suicide, and being kidnapped by a wanted killer and forced to live in a foreign country. As an adult he is strikingly similar in appearance to his father, who he idolizes. But in those eyes in that last scene you see he's got the same craving for blood...

There. I feel a little better.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies