Casey +7
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:47:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2006 Elections
  2006 Senatorial Election Polls
  Casey +7
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Casey +7  (Read 18408 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2005, 05:48:57 PM »

http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/11107377.htm

Wake up Republicans: Santorum IS in trouble.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 05:59:49 PM »

santorum would be in trouble if the democrats ran a normal candidate (i.e one who lives in the 21st century and doesnt spew populism from 1896)

santorum will win.  brtd, you and i both know that  many suburbanites, despite what they say, are just as bigoted as country bumpkins.  im sure many in se pa secretly love santorum's homophobia as much as they disdain casey's silly economic ideas.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 06:03:37 PM »

The way I understand it, the Republicans have already woken up, and are certainly not taken a Santorum win for granted.

The options they have are: just fight as hard as they can and hope for the best; or pull Santorum out.  The latter option means that the Republicans can write-off a win at all, but they still get to keep Santorum as a popular figure with national name-recognition.  A possible bid to take on Ed Rendell has already been floated on this forum.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 06:07:57 PM »

santorum would be in trouble if the democrats ran a normal candidate (i.e one who lives in the 21st century and doesnt spew populism from 1896)

santorum will win.  brtd, you and i both know that  many suburbanites, despite what they say, are just as bigoted as country bumpkins.  im sure many in se pa secretly love santorum's homophobia as much as they disdain casey's silly economic ideas.

Just becuase you don't like populism doesn't mean it doesn't play well in Pennsylvania.

Yes, there are lots of suburbanites like that, but they're the ones that voted for Bush. Wasn't enough for Bush to win Pennsylvania.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 06:08:14 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2005, 06:12:14 PM by Senator Supersoulty »

The way I understand it, the Republicans have already woken up, and are certainly not taken a Santorum win for granted.

The options they have are: just fight as hard as they can and hope for the best; or pull Santorum out.  The latter option means that the Republicans can write-off a win at all, but they still get to keep Santorum as a popular figure with national name-recognition.  A possible bid to take on Ed Rendell has already been floated on this forum.

You are quite right, but I don't think that Casey has an edge either.

No other candidate could beat Santorum (period).

Casey only wins if Santorum fails to sperate Casey from his father (period).

Santorum would win in a campaign that was dependent only on issues (period).

Casey is ahead right now because he is a Casey (period).

And, also, Santorum v Casey is going to be a national race in its scope.  Only two people in PA have any expirience running a national campaign:
Rick Santorum and Arlen Specter.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 06:12:53 PM »

Just becuase you don't like populism doesn't mean it doesn't play well in Pennsylvania.

Yes, there are lots of suburbanites like that, but they're the ones that voted for Bush. Wasn't enough for Bush to win Pennsylvania.

um.  john kerry is a hell of a lot different than casey.  if the dems ran a john kerry type candidate against santorum, he/she would probably win.

casey is pretty over-hyped.  he isnt going to win.  period.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 06:14:46 PM »

then shouldn't Bush have won Pennsylvania?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 06:18:40 PM »

You are quite right, but I don't think that Casey has an edge either.

No other candidate could beat Santorum (period).

Casey only wins if Santorum fails to sperate Casey from his father (period).

Casey is ahead right now because he is a Casey (period).

And, also, Santorum v Casey is going to be a national race in its scope.  Only two people in PA have any expirience running a national campaign:
Rick Santorum and Arlen Specter.

I agree.  Plus, a year and a half is a heck of a long time in politics.  I'm not calling this one for either Santorum or Casey yet, but it'll definitely be a nail-biter for both sides concerned, and one to watch for everybody else.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 06:20:50 PM »

then shouldn't Bush have won Pennsylvania?

Casey is not Kerry.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 06:23:11 PM »

He seems like he'd be a much better candidate because of his father and more in touch with socially conservative democrats. How was Kerry a better candidate than Casey?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 06:25:26 PM »

Um, every PA Republican on this board understands that Casey is a good candidate. But, Casey is still at the same point he was in the last poll, and will continue to be in this position until the campaign begins for real. 
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2005, 06:27:34 PM »

He seems like he'd be a much better candidate because of his father and more in touch with socially conservative democrats. How was Kerry a better candidate than Casey?

Because Kerry could win suburban voters (that's right, the people you hate) in Philadelphia and Teresa brought in a strong cooalition of support from the Pittsburgh area (which, even still, was weaker than the support Gore got, but stronger than he would have recieved without her).
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2005, 06:29:49 PM »

Um, every PA Republican on this board understands that Casey is a good candidate. But, Casey is still at the same point he was in the last poll, and will continue to be in this position until the campaign begins for real. 

Honestly, the more I think about this, the more I think Santorum will pull it out.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2005, 06:40:55 PM »

I hate to break it to you, but 1896 is where we are right now, courtesy of the GOP.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 08:34:51 PM »

This race leans Casey. Most Republicans, even PA Republicans, have admitted this. What is your point?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2005, 09:07:14 PM »

If Santorum loses that PA's business. My favorite Senator, Charles Grassley, is in no trouble in Iowa.

HARKIN OUT IN '08.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2005, 09:09:04 PM »

Retirement or do you plan on him losing?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2005, 09:36:15 PM »

Because Kerry could win suburban voters (that's right, the people you hate)

If they liked Kerry, how the hell could they like Santorum? Are you saying Kerry was a stronger candidate than Casey is?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2005, 09:44:08 PM »

If they liked Kerry, how the hell could they like Santorum? Are you saying Kerry was a stronger candidate than Casey is?

Economics.  Those SE PA, suburban voters are libertarians.  Some may not vote for Mr. Populist over Santorum, who supports conservative economic ideas.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2005, 10:12:05 PM »

Apart from name, yes.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2005, 10:56:05 PM »

I want him to lose, but he won't.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2005, 02:00:27 AM »

Economics.  Those SE PA, suburban voters are libertarians.  Some may not vote for Mr. Populist over Santorum, who supports conservative economic ideas.

Granted Casey may not appeal to them, but Santorum's off the wall social conservatism will be an even worse fit for those in SE PA.  The Philly burbs may not exactly like Casey, but their will be a very strong ABS vote in that region which Casey will greatly benefit from
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2005, 02:05:55 AM »

Granted Casey may not appeal to them, but Santorum's off the wall social conservatism will be an even worse fit for those in SE PA.  The Philly burbs may not exactly like Casey, but their will be a very strong ABS vote in that region which Casey will greatly benefit from

I'm sick and tired of people saying things like "off the wall social conservatism".  Santorum is very normal, save the comment he made about homosexuals, and if you people honestly think that that is going to be any issue at all in this campaign, you don't know jack about this state.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2005, 02:12:42 AM »

I'm sick and tired of people saying things like "off the wall social conservatism".  Santorum is very normal, save the comment he made about homosexuals, and if you people honestly think that that is going to be any issue at all in this campaign, you don't know jack about this state.

Santorum is pretty damn Conservative especially on social issues, it was more than just homosexuals also the whole individual rights stuff.  Anyway the point I'm making is that Santorum is simply not liked in SE PA.  Their will be a very strong ABS vote in that portion of the state.  It really doesn't matter all that much who the Dem candidate is in that area, SE PA is not voting for Santorum period and even though Casey's views don't fit all that well with the region he will win it because he is not Santorum
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2005, 03:26:13 AM »

Casey leading at this point isn't suprising. Election is a long way away yet and a f*** up is possible.

Re: Kerry... Kerry was a weaker candidate in PA than Casey but the backlash towards his social views and general attitude in certain parts of PA was minimised by the Heinz machine cranking out votes in Pittsburgh proper and the inner suburbs of Pittsburgh.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies